• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stephane Grappelli: FEELING + FINESSE = JAZZ (Atlantic), marvelous album recorded in '62, includes Pierre Cavalli (elec guitar), Leo Petit (guitar), Guy Pedersen (bass) and Daniel Humair (drums). Grappelli sounds quite modern in this context, a great musician. BTW, his name is spelled "Grappelly" on the cover. The "i" ending is correct, n'est ce pas?

Le Jazz en France, Volume 1: Paris 1919-1923; Premiers Jazz Bands (EMI) An interesting anthology. The French bands (going back to 1919) sound about five years behind American developments - which is understandable, considering what had been going on in Europe. The visiting Americans are hipper. Mitchell's Jazz Kings sound pretty good for 1921/22; not compared to New Orleans bands, but good in a New York/Johnny Dunn kind of way. And there are three 1923 tracks by Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band which compare favorably to what Fletcher Henderson was doing at the time.

Stephane Grappelli: FEELING + FINESSE = JAZZ (Atlantic), marvelous album recorded in '62, includes Pierre Cavalli (elec guitar), Leo Petit (guitar), Guy Pedersen (bass) and Daniel Humair (drums). Grappelli sounds quite modern in this context, a great musician. BTW, his name is spelled "Grappelly" on the cover. The "i" ending is correct, n'est ce pas?

I'll have to check this out. I have an Atlantic sampler which includes "Daphne" and it's wonderful.

Le Jazz en France, Volume 1: Paris 1919-1923; Premiers Jazz Bands (EMI) An interesting anthology. The French bands (going back to 1919) sound about five years behind American developments - which is understandable, considering what had been going on in Europe. The visiting Americans are hipper. Mitchell's Jazz Kings sound pretty good for 1921/22; not compared to New Orleans bands, but good in a New York/Johnny Dunn kind of way. And there are three 1923 tracks by Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band which compare favorably to what Fletcher Henderson was doing at the time.

Tonight: Volume 2: Black Bands in Paris 1929-1930. This one has two good tracks by Eddie South and a couple of interesting poetry-with-jazz tracks (the first ever?) by Jean Cocteau that made me wish I spoke French. But most of the album is taken up by Sam Wooding, whose music is a maddening mixture of quality jazz, bizarre vocals, bad songs ("I Lift Up My Finger and Say 'Tweet Tweet'"), and lame arrangements. He's got some good soloists, though - Doc Cheatham, Albert Wynn, and Gene Sedric.

Duke Ellington - Concerts in Canada (Ellington '87) Side one is from Stratford, 1956; side two (which I listened to tonight) is from Winnipeg, May, 1973 - one of Ellington's last recorded performances. I wish Ellington had made more use of Johnny Coles during the 70s, but Coles was always featured on "How High the Moon," and there's a nice version here. The high point is probably a really good version of "La Plus Belle Africaine," the great latter-day Harry Carney feature.

Shirley Scott/Stanley Turrentine--Soul Shoutin' (Prestige, blue label)

The Gerry Mulligan Song Book, Volume 1 (World Pacific)

Eric Kloss--Grits 'N Gravy (Prestige, blue label)

That's a cool Eric Kloss LP. I'll have to dig that out.

Yes, indeed, on the majority of the tracks, backed Jaki Byard, Richard Davis and Alan Dawson.

1) "Dig Him!" Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt on Argo.

2) LP I found on Everest credited to Joe Henderson and Woody Shaw. It's titled "Jazz Patterns" No date or info other than the players: George Cables, Ron McClure and Lenny White.