What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

I was up a good chunk of the night...; couldn't sleep...; pain.

But I gave a spin to Side 1 of Keith Jarretts "Expectations" sometime about 4am. I was groovin', sorta, and was finally starting to nod off towards the end of the side. We've recently had a nasty infestation of yellowjacket wasps in a corner of the exterior of our family room, where the stereo is. They've been getting inside; was killing 20-40 wasps a day inside the house. It's sealed up now and their presence is diminishing.

Well, there was a part that started up, must've been Dewey's sax, but it sounded just like a friggin' wasp in my right ear! I fuckin' freaked, tearing off the headphones, batting my hands about...; going from a state of peace and relaxation to a complete eruption of activity, fear, stress,...

I kinda laughed afterwards, but dang...scared the sheet out of me!

This one might be heading to the "sell" pile...heh...

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was up a good chunk of the night...; couldn't sleep...; pain.

But I gave a spin to Side 1 of Keith Jarretts "Expectations" sometime about 4am. I was groovin', sorta, and was finally starting to nod off towards the end of the side. We've recently had a nasty infestation of yellowjacket wasps in a corner of the exterior of our family room, where the stereo is. They've been getting inside; was killing 20-40 wasps a day inside the house. It's sealed up now and their presence is diminishing.

Well, there was a part that started up, must've been Dewey's sax, but it sounded just like a friggin' wasp in my right ear! I fuckin' freaked, tearing off the headphones, batting my hands about...; going from a state of peace and relaxation to a complete eruption of activity, fear, stress,...

I kinda laughed afterwards, but dang...scared the sheet out of me!

This one might be heading to the "sell" pile...heh...

Hi Scott--its all good--thanks for checking it out. It is a bit of work, just trying to put something up every 2 or 3 days.

Stan Tracey 'Under Milk Wood Suite' (UK Columbia Lansdowne Series, mono)

The Great Jazz Trio 'Direct from L.A.' (EastWind Direct Mastering)

14537.png

Nice one ! I'll dig that one out later.

Chet Baker/Steve Houben (Carrère)

38638.jpg

Picked up Chet's 'Let's get Lost' DVD for £3 at the (not to be mentioned) place so that will be tonight's viewing.

619O7KbB9AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

After spinning Leroy Jones and his Hurricane Marching Brass Band of New Orleans (Lo An), I turned to the album Rebirth Brass Band founder Philip Frazier calls "The Bible:"

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - My Feet Can't Fail Me Now (Concord)

It's still stunning 25 years later. My copy, bought the week it was issued, is still in near-mint condition, but I might look into the Floating World remastered CD. It's always bothered me that you can barely hear the bass drum on the LP - that's arguably the most important instrument in a New Orleans brass band. (Read Louis Armstrong's comments about bass drummer Black Benny Williams in My Life in New Orleans.)

Another New Orleans brass band LP so obscure that I couldn't find a picture online:

Imperial Brass Band - A New Orleans Street Parade Live in Paris (Sandcastle). This was trumpeter Alvin Alcorn's band, and was a pickup band, rather than a working group, I believe. This was a mid-70's concert; I heard clarinetist Ralph Johnson at Preservation Hall a couple of times years later, and trombonist Freddie Lonzo many times.

Cecil Taylor, "Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly!" (a silly title that has probably harmed the album's reception). On the PA USA label, per the album jacket, MPS International under license to Pausa Records.

Carefully and indeed lovingly recorded in Germany at the MPS studio, this is like having a private Cecil recital in your living room. Clear, warm, close recording, great presence. Cecil plays on an excellent MPS Bosendorfer Grand Piano Imperial. You can hear Cecil's amazing technique here (not to mention a bit of his humming). Generally overlooked Cecil album I think, well worth looking out for.

taylor_ceci_flyflyfly_101b.jpg

McCoy Tyner: ASANTE. Blue Note. Andrew White plays sax on this album. I checked out Mr. White's Wikipedia page. Turns out he is a native and long-time resident of Washington DC. Graduate of Howard University. He has played sax, oboe and electric bass professionally. Pretty interesting career.

1299941701_mccoy-tyner-350.jpg