What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Duke Jordan--------Jazz laboratory series, Do it yourself Jazz Vol.1-------(Savoy)

Side 1 one has the piano trio (Duke Jordan, Oscar P. & Klook)and is pretty pointless given that a soloist is obviously missing. The soloist in question is Gigi Gryce who is added on side 2. From the liners it appears that Gryce's contributions were overdubbed. If you ignore side 1 you have some nicely recorded and played hardbop. Gryce is superb playing in his earlier style which is less bluesy than it became as he moved to Prestige.

Next up will be DIY Vol.2 which has Hall Overton on piano and Phil Woods on alto. A better combination would be the quartet sides on one LP. IIRC it has been issued in that way ( possibly on the original Signal edition)

I may be wrong, but when that series came out on Signal, weren't they positioned as play-along/Music-Minus-One-ish records? Agreed that releasing them in that form to the general audience is kinda ripoffy, but hello Herman Lubinsky, etc.

MMO (and at least some of the earlier Aebersold) records were recorded with the soloist in an isolation booth, or highly baffled (hahaha) so as not to be heard on the play-along material.

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Duke Jordan--------Jazz laboratory series, Do it yourself Jazz Vol.1-------(Savoy)

Side 1 one has the piano trio (Duke Jordan, Oscar P. & Klook)and is pretty pointless given that a soloist is obviously missing. The soloist in question is Gigi Gryce who is added on side 2. From the liners it appears that Gryce's contributions were overdubbed. If you ignore side 1 you have some nicely recorded and played hardbop. Gryce is superb playing in his earlier style which is less bluesy than it became as he moved to Prestige.

Next up will be DIY Vol.2 which has Hall Overton on piano and Phil Woods on alto. A better combination would be the quartet sides on one LP. IIRC it has been issued in that way ( possibly on the original Signal edition)

I'd like to hear the Hall Overton. I have the Gryce/Jordan on Signal and it comes with a booklet for the students.

I'd like to hear the Hall Overton. I have the Gryce/Jordan on Signal and it comes with a booklet for the students.

I have this music on the 2 LP set pictured below, reissued by Arista in the 70s:

Gigi-Gryce-Signals-364349.jpg

This set also includes Gryce's "Nica's Tempo" sides with Thelonious. These were also originally released on Signal.

Edited by HutchFan

Roy Eldridge - Richie Kamuca Quintet - Comin' Home Baby (Pumpkin Productions) - Recorded live at the Half Note August 22, 1965 & March 25, 1966 but remained unissued until 1978.

Eldridge - trumpet

Kamuca - tenor

Dick Katz - piano

Tommy Potter - bass*

Eddie Locke - drums

* Potter replaced by Don Moore on the 2 tracks recorded on March 25, 1966.

This is an interesting date that I bought much more Kamuca's presence than Eldridge. It almost seems like they alternate songs for who's featured. The pianist-turned-producer plays a decent piano, if a little out of tune in places. The earlier stuff is in better sound. I wonder if there is more somewhere? I'd really like to hear it. What I have here is very good.

Roy-Eldridge-Comin-Home-Baby-493428.jpg

Roy Eldridge-Richie Kamuca 'Comin' ome Baby' (Pumpkin)

eldr_com.JPG

BTW, I've been looking for this for some time.... :)

Roy Eldridge - Richie Kamuca Quintet - Comin' Home Baby (Pumpkin Productions) - Recorded live at the Half Note August 22, 1965 & March 25, 1966 but remained unissued until 1978.

Eldridge - trumpet

Kamuca - tenor

Dick Katz - piano

Tommy Potter - bass*

Eddie Locke - drums

* Potter replaced by Don Moore on the 2 tracks recorded on March 25, 1966.

This is an interesting date that I bought much more Kamuca's presence than Eldridge. It almost seems like they alternate songs for who's featured. The pianist-turned-producer plays a decent piano, if a little out of tune in places. The earlier stuff is in better sound. I wonder if there is more somewhere? I'd really like to hear it. What I have here is very good.

Roy-Eldridge-Comin-Home-Baby-493428.jpg

Do they actually play the Ben Tucker tune of the same name? I'd like to hear Roy Eldridge playing that one.

Bent Jadig "Danish jazzman 1967" (Debut/Think!, Japan). One of those deluxe exact replica Japanese reissues..great album and top notch sound and sleeve costing a tiny fraction of what an original would set me back!

That's a really good record. And no, I don't have the original either!

you two are slipping :smirk:

Hey, I've only broken three digits the one. Way behind

slacker....

Hey, I've only broken three digits the one. Way behind

slacker....

I just don't feel comfortable spending big on a single title no how matter how good or rare it might be. Even if I could afford it the sense of guilt that the money should have been spent more wisely would more than likely take the shine off a rare "once in a life-time" acquisition. Of course that statement is full of contradictions given the total I've spent of LPs/CDs, 78s, books and live concerts. But that's just me....

220px-Third_Season_Mobley.jpeg

again, so bad need upgrade. i mean they can redo all the 50s stuff but the audiophile reissues of 60s bns is definetly lacking by comparison, a lot of my favorite bns of the 60s have never been redone

After hearing the CD release of this date, I have a feeling that the best audiophile LP pressing ever wouldn't improve the audio. It's probably just a bad recording.