Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2587373-1291859343.jpeg.jpg

What's New!!! Sonny Stitt Plays the Varitone (Roulette mono). The price was right - free. And Stitt burns here. But he burns on the crude 1960s electronically enhanced saxophone. On the other hand, there are some nice cameos by J.J. Johnson, Mike Mainieri, Joe Wilder, etc. Verdict: I keep it for now, but it will not survive the Great Album Purge when I move across the country in seven or eight years.

5 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-1246019-1235821819.jpeg.jpg

Wilson Picket - Hey Jude (Atlantic). Some fiery Duane Allman guitar playing is scattered through this fine album.

Great album which opened the gates for Duane Allman to Atlantic .... btw a bunch of great deep soul tracks aka "Back In Your Arms", "A Man And A Half" and "Search Yout Heart" on offer ....

3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

forgive me, most of us know this as a record:

but wow i didnt know prestige did this-

R-7754528-1448108300-9036.bmp.jpg

R-7754528-1448108301-9231.bmp.jpg

I have this music on the CD "Legends of Acid Jazz". Legends of Acid Jazz... What were they thinking with that series name? Terrible name but it was used to put out some great music that might not have made it out of the vaults otherwise.

R-7834706-1449783740-6966.jpeg.jpg

Undoubtedly they were thinking "Let's get our marketing team to exploit the buzz over Acid Jazz at the moment".

As horrible as the genre name may be it was certainly very noticeable here in the UK in the late 80s (tapping into the Acid House club scene). A successful record label with the name was bringing many new ears to Jazz and Jazz influenced music. Clubs, like Dingwalls,  had people dancing to Jazz again!! A very vibrant scene ripe for some marketing exploitation and the rebranding of some famous Jazz recordings that were once again club floor fillers.

Great times, maybe not for the purist but certainly more purists were born from this time.

Similar things happening in London now,  again exciting and surprise, surprise once again upsetting the "that's not proper Jazz" brigade. They haven't yet found the marketing label for this upsurge. They will.

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Undoubtedly they were thinking "Let's get our marketing team to exploit the buzz over Acid Jazz at the moment".

As horrible as the genre name may be it was certainly very noticeable here in the UK in the late 80s (tapping into the Acid House club scene). A successful record label with the name was bringing many new ears to Jazz and Jazz influenced music. Clubs, like Dingwalls,  had people dancing to Jazz again!! A very vibrant scene ripe for some marketing exploitation and the rebranding of some famous Jazz recordings that were once again club floor fillers.

Great times, maybe not for the purist but certainly more purists were born from this time.

Similar things happening in London now,  again exciting and surprise, surprise once again upsetting the "that's not proper Jazz" brigade. They haven't yet found the marketing label for this upsurge. They will.

I skimmed the Acid Jazz scene a few times, picking up CDs from A Tribe Called Quest, Us3 & Buckshot LeFonque (Branford Marsalis). I have no problem with it or that particular term to describe it. What I don't understand is that they chose to co-opt late 60's/early 70's funky soul as a branch of it. Shirley Scott's "Hip Soul" was just what the title said it was - Hip Soul. Sure, you could dance to it, but I doubt this was getting cranked up at the dance clubs back in the day.

26 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Jazz purist = grumpy old white man.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I skimmed the Acid Jazz scene a few times, picking up CDs from A Tribe Called Quest, Us3 & Buckshot LeFonque (Branford Marsalis). I have no problem with it or that particular term to describe it. What I don't understand is that they chose to co-opt late 60's/early 70's funky soul as a branch of it. Shirley Scott's "Hip Soul" was just what the title said it was - Hip Soul. Sure, you could dance to it, but I doubt this was getting cranked up at the dance clubs back in the day.

It was. London's weird like that :rolleyes:

Lots of the organ groups were alongside the Jaz Messengers, Lee Morgan...you get the picture.

Sometimes as scene setting but most often as dance tunes. There were dance troupes specifically formed to dance to Jazz at the clubs in the scene. 

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

It was. London's weird like that :rolleyes:

Lots of the organ groups were alongside the Jaz Messengers, Lee Morgan...you get the picture.

Sometimes as scene setting but most often as dance tunes. There were dance troupes specifically formed to dance to Jazz at the clubs in the scene. 

I just remember that particular period as a load of hype, ramping up to loads of TV commercials featuring hip jazz dudes with saxes and credit cards, major record deals for Steve Williamson, Andy Sheppard etc and then the whole thing evaporating double fast..

Edited by sidewinder

8 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I have this music on the CD "Legends of Acid Jazz". Legends of Acid Jazz... What were they thinking with that series name? Terrible name but it was used to put out some great music that might not have made it out of the vaults otherwise.

R-7834706-1449783740-6966.jpeg.jpg

yea these have aged horribly but i think its "of the time"---- the 1st time i heard the term i think was seeing greyboy all stars, and i havent heard it used it years.  It IS a genre though, I can spot the sound although i dont hear it much anymore.  I think it might of evolved into "chillwave" ever heard of chillwave?