• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what I mostly remember Springboard for (correctly, I hope) is putting out LPs by then hit artists that consisted of demos and/or earlier recordings on off labels.

I was particularly "amazed" at this one:

R-733238-1155120180.jpeg.jpg

R-733238-1301915042.jpeg.jpg

Note Side B #2 - whoevrthat is (recitation only, no music) is not Sly, and sounds a whole lot like Wink Martindale.

Yeah, Springboard was a Shady Grady, for sure.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Trip existed before and after their Emarcy program. There was also the Tootie Heath record, a live Randy Weston thing, that trumpet night at the Coronet (or whatever it was), as well as some Vee-Jay reissues and other stuff that was sorta pulled from the ether. Fred Norsworhty was maybe in the picture (but in the shadows), maybe.

Trip was a division of Springboard, and Springboard was a REALLY questionable outfit.

Yeah, pretty shady licensing.

The Tootie Heath record came out on O'Be, which was Orville O'Brien's brief shot at a label. I believe that was distributed by Springboard, and in Japan it was manufactured by Mercury. Very strange pedigree on that one. Excellent record, though!

14 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, pretty shady licensing.

The Tootie Heath record came out on O'Be, which was Orville O'Brien's brief shot at a label. I believe that was distributed by Springboard, and in Japan it was manufactured by Mercury. Very strange pedigree on that one. Excellent record, though!

weston_rand_blues~~~~_101b.jpg

per: https://www.discogs.com/Randy-Weston-Blues/release/3304377

Courtesy of O'Be Records

Sometimes Discogs really is a treasure trove of disocgraphic information:

"Trip Jazz" was a series of the Trip label started in 1974. They mainly reissued albums that were originally released by the EmArcy, Limelight and Mercury labels. The records mentioned by Big Beat Steve (with miniaturized b/w versions of the original covers) were part of the "Trip Jazz - Special Collectors Series".

At Basin Street (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Mono) album cover

The Trip label itself was a subsidiary of Springboard International Records, Inc. Some other sublabels of Springboard were UpFront and also Catalyst.

The "Kawaida" album was originally (1970) released on the O'Be label and reissued in 1974 on Trip Jazz. Like Clifford said, in Japan it was issued on Mercury (licensed by Springboard).

Kawaida (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue) album cover

For Europe, the album was licensed to the DJM label and marketed as a Herbie Hancock-Don Cherry title:

R-1269508-1443358762-2780.jpeg.jpg

During the CD era, the album was reissued several times under Hancock's name. Some of the more "creative" packaging ideas were:

R-2875902-1305190284.jpeg.jpg Baraka (CD, Album, Reissue) album cover The Very Best Of Herbie Hancock (CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered) album cover

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

what I mostly remember Springboard for (correctly, I hope) is putting out LPs by then hit artists that consisted of demos and/or earlier recordings on off labels.

I was particularly "amazed" at this one:

R-733238-1155120180.jpeg.jpg

R-733238-1301915042.jpeg.jpg

Note Side B #2 - whoevrthat is (recitation only, no music) is not Sly, and sounds a whole lot like Wink Martindale.

Yeah, Springboard was a Shady Grady, for sure.

I bought a couple of Clifford Brown - Max Roach Trip issues in order to hear the music, but replaced them soon afterwards. Trip reissues were not only shady, they were garbage.

I’ve always avoided those Trip reissues like the plague. For a period, they were ubiquitous.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

OK so I had to check Discogs for what Springboard put out ... and check out this cassette.  I actually just bought this recording as an LP but they didn't keep this delightful cover. Its Farmer with McPherson in the front line and I couldn't recognize a legit recording with those two so I grabbed it, very cheap. Wish they had kept the cover they used on the cassette. :g 

farmer.JPG

Also put out in the UK on the budget DJM label, along with ‘Kawaida’. Another odd label.

DJM also did an Eric Dolphy ‘Memorial Album’ with the Jitterbug Walz material (a copy of which I still have).

61vYJGuf2ML._SX355_.jpg

Edited by sidewinder