• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Shirley_Collins___Davy_Graham-_%E2%80%98

Sonic standout - I’ll bet it far improves on the original. Gearbox/Optimal production - lovely stuff. As usual, Davy throws some jazz in too.

I have an original first pressing and a 2007 audiophile reissue of Folk, Blues & Beyond, yes the reissue is quieter, but those guys at Decca knew how do a record.

Edited by porcy62

49 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I have an original first pressing and a 2007 audiophile reissue of Folk, Blues & Beyond, yes the reissue is quieter, but those guys at Decca knew how do a record.

At the cost of probably about a 20th of the cost of a decent original, I’m a happy camper. :)

They have also reissued ‘The Holly Kaleidoscope’ as well for the RSD, on kaleidoscopic swirl vinyl. :unsure:  Again, this one sounds great though.

I suspect these are being put out in tandem with a HD tracks streaming release, which seems to have been the case with the ‘Kawaida’ too. Same model that was used on the Rendell/Carr reissues.

Edited by sidewinder

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

At the cost of probably about a 20th of the cost of a decent original, I’m a happy camper. :)

They have also reissued ‘The Holly Kaleidoscope’ as well for the RSD, on kaleidoscopic swirl vinyl. :unsure:  Again, this one sounds great though.

I suspect these are being put out in tandem with a HD tracks streaming release, which seems to have been the case with the ‘Kawaida’ too.

I m happy I forgot how much I payed the that one :lol:, never heard The Holly Kaleidoscope.

4 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I m happy I forgot how much I payed the that one :lol:, never heard The Holly Kaleidoscope.

Recorded with his then wife as vocalist - not as renowned as the Shirley Collins album but there’s plenty of fine playing.

Both of the albums were produced by Ray Horricks of Decca. It’s sort of nice because I have some of Ray’s old records in my collection, sadly not any of the Davy Grahams.

Edited by sidewinder

Just now, clifford_thornton said:

I'd be fine with a hq reissue; never seen the Deccas at anything close to an affordable price, at least for clean copies...

These reissues are really good - well worth it. I too have never come across really good original copies of the key titles, not that I was particularly looking. Wish they would do the same treatment for the titles with Harold McNair and Danny Thompson on them.

By the way, Ray Horricks personal copies looked to be in great nick and were auctioned off for nice $ by (alas, long gone) jazzinvinyl.com.

The bank balance is less stressed out though. :)

The approach used for these Decca Davy Graham’s is interesting. Mastered from original analogue sources by Caspar at Gearbox, pressed by Optimal. I will put money on it that they will use exactly the same approach for the (supposedly forthcoming) British Jazz reissues coming up from Decca/Universal. Bodes well - plus we might actually get a decent pressing of NJO ‘Western Reunion’.

Edited by sidewinder

Two LPs that I picked up on Saturday:

R-5001247-1381790419-6519.jpeg.jpg

Count Basie - Standing Ovation (Dot)
Surprisingly forceful Basie from 1969.

and

R-4363911-1362908258-6904.jpeg.jpg

Ramsey Lewis - Dancing in the Street (Cadet, 1967)
Herb Wong's liner notes tell me that this was Ramsey Lewis' first LP with Cleveland Eaton & Maurice White.  Didn't know that.

R.I.P. Cleveland Eaton, who died last month.

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Chuck, I read that book years ago, but I don't recall McLean's reaction.  What did he do?

I skimmed the book couldn't find it - it must be from elsewhere. Jackie was playing the Hawkins record in his step-father's record store and was entranced that he could hear Oscar Pettiford's breathing - it made the music more "human" for him.

Michael Weiss - Soul Journey (Sintra 2003LP). Pressing #44. Michael Weiss on piano, Ryan Kisor on Trumper, Steve Davis on Trombone, Steve Wilson on Alto, Paul Gill on Bass, Joe Farnsworth on Drums & Daniel Sadownick on percussion. This is such a fun recording. There's a bouncy feel to much of the playing... a lot due to the rhythm section. I am very partial to Joe Farnsworth's drumming and to me, he is the glue here. But the band... wow. The ensembles are tight and the solos have a variety that keeps me listening.

My first few times seeing Michael Weiss on the bandstand was during his annual appearances with Johnny Griffin at the Regattabar. It got to the point where I was looking forward to Johnny's rhythm section as much as I was himself. I do hope that I get more chances to see Michael play.

But Michael, do bring Joe. That mofo swings like hell. :)

Michael Weiss: Soul Journey - JazzWax

12 hours ago, bresna said:

Michael Weiss - Soul Journey (Sintra 2003LP). Pressing #44. Michael Weiss on piano, Ryan Kisor on Trumper, Steve Davis on Trombone, Steve Wilson on Alto, Paul Gill on Bass, Joe Farnsworth on Drums & Daniel Sadownick on percussion. This is such a fun recording. There's a bouncy feel to much of the playing... a lot due to the rhythm section. I am very partial to Joe Farnsworth's drumming and to me, he is the glue here. But the band... wow. The ensembles are tight and the solos have a variety that keeps me listening.

My first few times seeing Michael Weiss on the bandstand was during his annual appearances with Johnny Griffin at the Regattabar. It got to the point where I was looking forward to Johnny's rhythm section as much as I was himself. I do hope that I get more chances to see Michael play.

But Michael, do bring Joe. That mofo swings like hell. :)

Michael Weiss: Soul Journey - JazzWax

:tup