• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, BillF said:

That one I don't know, but this was the first I bought:

THAD_JONES_%26_MEL_LEWIS_PRESENTING%2BTH

Sadly with added reverb - but Mosaic sorted it out in their stellar box. I have a copy of that Sonny Lester LP too.

’Live In Munich’ was also on A&M Horizon but I’m not sure it had a UK release.

Edited by sidewinder

On 2020-09-20 at 7:08 PM, bresna said:

I am finally spinning this Tone Poet LP and I think I get a feeling for why this was shelved. The first track, "Mirrors", has a very odd-sounding stereo sound. Basically it's two extremely separated mono channels, with vibes, piano, bass and drums in the right channel and Joe Henderson's tenor isolated in the left channel. The sound is wonderful but it sounds weird. The second track, "For Duke P.", in contrast, sounds much more "normal".

It's unfortunate that 'If Ever I Would Leave You' from the CD version had to be left out (LP playing time constrictions...?) since it was a very fitting opening track for that album. 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

jlhoots, you're referring to this one?

51d8hlwSJyL.jpg

I'm not jlhoots but that is the one that had the recent CD reissue.  I have the LP,  a very good album indeed, up there with the best of Beaver's in my book.  Great steel drums!

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Such a great record!

Gato had an astounding run in the first half of the 70s with Flying Dutchman and Impulse.  I love all of them!  :g

It is.  I don't know why I'd slept on him.  I'd been knocked out by the CD comp from '97 (wow!) and haven't listened to it for probably 10 years.  This weekend he came into my head and I listened to Chapters 1 & 4 on Spotify and decided I needed the LPs for all Chapters.

Interestingly, just looking at the CD comp booklet for the date I've read that a number of the tracks are unreleased as they are the full versions of tracks shortened for the LPs.  Now I have to listen to the CDs too...

28 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Interestingly, just looking at the CD comp booklet for the date I've read that a number of the tracks are unreleased as they are the full versions of tracks shortened for the LPs.  Now I have to listen to the CDs too...

Yes the CD comp has the complete tracks and has also an fair remastering.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I'm not jlhoots but that is the one that had the recent CD reissue.  I have the LP,  a very good album indeed, up there with the best of Beaver's in my book.  Great steel drums!

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Yes!!

O.K. gents, I'm adding that one to my "to get" list.  :tup 

Now spinning:

R-8602622-1464908676-6627.jpeg.jpg

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

R-1061696-1365354624-5476.jpeg.jpg

Ira Sullivan - Peace (Galaxy, 1979)

and

R-2997004-1310993746.jpeg.jpg

Ira Sullivan - Multimedia (Galaxy, 1982)

Both LPs from the same session with Joe Diorio (g), John Heard (b), Billy Higgins (d), and Kenneth Nash (perc).

R.I.P.

Those are both excellent. I don't believe these have been reissued on CD.

59 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Those are both excellent. I don't believe these have been reissued on CD.

Yep. Terrific music that's never had a digital release.  Pairing them up would make a great 2-fer CD.  But that'll almost certainly never happen. 

The band assembled for those LPs is really exceptional.  I think Billy Higgins is the not-so-secret sauce.  But they all play fantastically well.  Also, I love the choice to NOT include a pianist on the date and use Diorio's guitar instead as the chordal instrument, à la Sonny Rollins & Jim Hall.

NP:

R-3377013-1327984906.jpeg.jpg

Don Patterson - Why Not ... (Muse, 1978)

Edited by HutchFan