What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

9 minutes ago, Niko said:

I for one am a big fan of Jouney into Nigritia...

R-7644814-1474859564-5912.jpeg.jpg

I like that whole album, a lot.  A good example of thie rewards of this board as I would never have come across it if Jeffcrom (whatever happened to him?) hadn't posted it years ago.  I need to listen to it, thanks for the reminder.

I'm playing LP 1 of this 

R-5601596-1502225006-9894.jpeg.jpg

'I Talk With The Spirits' is in my top ten all time Jazz LPs.  This is my first listen to this remaster.  It sounds fabulous

19 minutes ago, Pim said:

0784331-C-F1-ED-465-A-869-B-E65560-BE566

@Rabshakeh

Pretty good record this is but nothing that blows you away probably.  It’s a bit weird in places: some funk, freebop and spoken word. Something that needs a few listens. But definitely interesting music!

I often think I should investigate Hammond more not least because Steve Coleman cites him as a major influence.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I like that whole album, a lot.  A good example of thie rewards of this board as I would never have come across it if Jeffcrom (whatever happened to him?) hadn't posted it years ago.  I need to listen to it, thanks for the reminder.

Indeed!

I miss jeffcrom, learned a lot from him, both from his posts here and from his blog... and yes, it took a while until I saw a copy of this album, and without this board I would never have known that this something I must have ...

25 minutes ago, Pim said:

4-EEAE581-0976-4-BD0-9526-2-D104261-C308

Tapscott, Tapscott, Tapscott.... been listening quite a lot to him these days and I think this is going to be my favorite. What a great musician!

That is a beautiful album.  I honestly think that you can't go wrong with Tapscott, I've never heard a poor album by him yet, or even an average one

There's a new 3LP issue due on Nimbus West which will be a 'must buy' https://www.discogs.com/Horace-Tapscott-Pan-Afrikan-Peoples-Arkestra-Live-At-Century-City-Playhouse-9979/release/16330602

Promo here 

Good to see you still have a nice bit of spare storage in that nice looking unit.  Mine are jammed... :rolleyes:

Edited by mjazzg

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

That is a beautiful album.

There's a new 3LP issue due on Nimbus West which will be a 'must buy' https://www.discogs.com/Horace-Tapscott-Pan-Afrikan-Peoples-Arkestra-Live-At-Century-City-Playhouse-9979/release/16330602

Good to see you still have a nice bit of spare storage in that nice looking unit.  Mine are jammed... :rolleyes:

6-F78-FC87-DF8-A-4231-81-E6-55435-A65-DA
Oh yeah got my eye on that one already! 
I started my collection with cd’s so still plenty of space for LP’s :) 

41 minutes ago, Pim said:

4-EEAE581-0976-4-BD0-9526-2-D104261-C308

Tapscott, Tapscott, Tapscott.... been listening quite a lot to him these days and I think this is going to be my favorite. What a great musician!

Memories of attending Tapscott’s ‘wake’ performance in LA. It was billed as a fund raising tribute to help him with hospital treatment. They announced on the day from the stage that he had sadly passed away just the night before so it turned out to be a memorial. As well as the Arkestra there was Pharoah Sanders, Vi Redd and the Watts Prophets in the lineup that I can remember. Gerald Wilson and his family were sat right behind me.

24 minutes ago, Pim said:

6-F78-FC87-DF8-A-4231-81-E6-55435-A65-DA
Oh yeah got my eye on that one already! 
I started my collection with cd’s so still plenty of space for LP’s :) 

I can confidently predict it will fill up, quicker than you plan too ;)

6 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Memories of attending Tapscott’s ‘wake’ performance in LA. It was billed as a fund raising tribute to help him with hospital treatment. They announced on the day from the stage that he had sadly passed away just the night before so it turned out to be a memorial. As well as the Arkestra there was Pharoah Sanders, Vi Redd and the Watts Prophets in the lineup that I can remember. Gerald Wilson and his family were sat right behind me.

One word...Wow!

Edited by mjazzg

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I can confidently predict it will fill up, quicker than you plan too ;)

Onw word...Wow!

Checked up my old post on this on the ‘Tapscott’ thread and Bobby Bradford was also in the lineup. I remember Gary Bias and Roberto Miranda in the Arkestra as well.

Board Member Adam was also in the audience that day, per his post. It seems largely to have been something of an ‘Arkestra Friends and Family’ thing so we were lucky to have attended.

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Checked up my old post on this on the ‘Tapscott’ thread and Bobby Bradford was also in the lineup. I remember Gary Bias and Roberto Miranda in the Arkestra as well.

Board Member Adam was also in the audience that day, per his post. It seems largely to have been something of an ‘Arkestra Friends and Family’ thing so we were lucky to have attended.

That must have been a very impressive experience! 

R-5601596-1502225006-9894.jpeg.jpg

Now onto 'Slightly Latin'.  Remaster seems less of an improvement on this one.  I really like this album although I get the impression that it's not generally well-regarded.

Previously 'Rip, Rig and Panic', a stone-cold classic sounding as good as I've ever heard it

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Tapscott's in that list of great regrets never to have seen him live.  I'm not aware of any UK gigs since 'bout 1990 ,which is when I probably became fully aware of him, are you?  Girding myself for the reply that I missed a week's residency in 1987...

31 minutes ago, mjazzg said:Tapscott's in that list of great regrets never to have seen him live.  I'm not aware of any UK gigs since 'bout 1990 ,which is when I probably became fully aware of him, are you?  Girding myself for the reply that I missed a week's residency in 1987...

Never saw him myself either. I was abroad in 1990 and the one chance I did get, a rare solo piano recital in Western Canada circa 1994, I missed ! (Not sure why, might have been on business). Admission was something daft like $8 too, very low profile appearance during the Canadian Summer Festival season. Was hoping to put that right in the late 90s, sadly not to be. His spirit was well and truly there though !

Continuing the Mosaic vinyl theme du jour, selections of this one followed by the J J Johnson Columbia vinyl set.

R-4116209-1357079381-6484.jpeg.jpg

31 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Now onto 'Slightly Latin'.  Remaster seems less of an improvement on this one.  I really like this album although I get the impression that it's not generally well-regarded.

‘Slightly Latin’ is a very good album, very much under-rated IMO. A sort of cheesy approach, yes - but full of surprise and good humour. Some good playing on there by the likes of Martin Banks and - especially - Horace Parlan.

Edited by sidewinder

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (Blue Note/Tone Poet). The way people are raving about the sound on this over on the Hoffman forums, I was expecting to be blown away. Chambers' cymbals are recorded sizzling hot on this record. If I had to guess why this wasn't released when it was recorded, I would guess that this is the reason. I would not rate this that highly for sonics. The music is great though.

R-5475719-1394317470-7954.jpeg.jpg

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (Blue Note/Tone Poet). The way people are raving about the sound on this over on the Hoffman forums, I was expecting to be blown away. Chambers' cymbals are recorded sizzling hot on this record. If I had to guess why this wasn't released when it was recorded, I would guess that this is the reason. I would not rate this that highly for sonics. The music is great though.

R-5475719-1394317470-7954.jpeg.jpg

Wait, is Herbie's name misspelled on the TP cover? 

Had a short discussion with another member re cover art of a West Coast label. Pacific Jazz Records promoted on his earlier covers other artists as painter & sculptors in a series called "West Coast Artist Series". After a bit of checking they  have featured this on 8 volumes with  the artwork of resident artists from the West Coast . These artworks were done expressly for Pacfic Jazz. Here are  4 of them. More to follow from my collection.

The artists are as follows:

- Keith Finch - Gerry Mulligan LP / - John Atoon - LP Solo Flight  & LP Blakey "Ritual" / Sueo Serisawa LP Jack Montrose

40346888rh.jpg

On 1/16/2021 at 11:05 AM, mjazzg said:

Nice cover. Bet the music is good too

It is excellent. I picked it up on a whim from Squidco as part of their "at cost" sale. Each musician composed a side of the LP. I'm a bigger fan of Wooley than Vandermark but this is a really good duo set. 

While watching the NFL playoffs with the TV muted:

R-2961326-1423399909-7111.jpeg.jpg

An excellent LP.  Tucker's compositions are outstanding, and the band is first-class.  I can't decide who sounds best: Frank Foster, Pepper Adams, or Cecil McBee.  And I love the extra percussionists.  Good ol' Hard Bop but with some 1970s flavors. 

and

R-3992211-1351773886-7824.jpeg.jpg

IMO, the "Two Franks" always sound good together -- and apart too, for that matter. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan