Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Had a short discussion with another member re cover art of a West Coast label. Pacific Jazz Records promoted on his earlier covers other artists as painter & sculptors in a series called "West Coast Artist Series". After a bit of checking they  have featured this on 8 volumes with  the artwork of resident artists from the West Coast . These artworks were done expressly for Pacfic Jazz. Here are  4 of them. More to follow from my collection.

The artists are as follows:

- Keith Finch - Gerry Mulligan LP / - John Atoon - LP Solo Flight  & LP Blakey "Ritual" / Sueo Serisawa LP Jack Montrose

40346888rh.jpg

The first two are new to me. Nice to see them! I'm still an abstract expressionist at heart!

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

More from the "West Coast Artists series" on Pacific Jazz

Cover artists are: Bob Irwin - Chet Baker / Edmond Kohn - Russ Freeman Trio /  Vito  - Hamilton in Hi-Fi / Sueo Serisawa - Ellington Suite

40346955uf.jpg

The Chet Baker is new to me and particularly nice.:tup

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Would make a great jazz album cover!

sm-754.jpg

Looks like something I have seen on the EVEREST label. Have to check it. The cover is really adventurous and I like it.

Yep - found it but the colors are not as bright as your scan and they used only a part of the complete painting. BTW  EVEREST did some more of those covers (left half was a painting or graphic)

Will compile them and ad them later just as conversation piece.

Here is the Paul Horn .... and thanks for your comments.

40351988cw.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

56 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Looks like something I have seen on the EVEREST label. Have to check it. The cover is really adventurous and I like it.

Yep - found it but the colors are not as bright as your scan and they used only a part of the complete painting. BTW  EVEREST did some more of those covers (left half was a painting or graphic)

Will compile them and ad them later just as conversation piece.

Here is the Paul Horn .... and thanks for your comments.

40351988cw.jpg

Nice, but still not the right sort of jazz.:(

Excuse the nitpicking, but Bechet in the 50s had a special significance for me. In 1956 when I was a 16-year-old schoolboy I was listening to the then super-popular Bill Haley & His Comets. An older boy (he must have been all of 17:D) took me aside and said, "You shouldn't be wasting your time on this stuff; you should be listening to jazz" and he lent me an EP of Claude Luter's band with Sidney Bechet. 65 years later and I've never looked back! And I still recall some tunes on that record: "Les Oignons" and "Le Marchand de Poissons". A life-forming experience!

15 hours ago, BillF said:

Nice, but still not the right sort of jazz.:(

Excuse the nitpicking, but Bechet in the 50s had a special significance for me. In 1956 when I was a 16-year-old schoolboy I was listening to the then super-popular Bill Haley & His Comets. An older boy (he must have been all of 17:D) took me aside and said, "You shouldn't be wasting your time on this stuff; you should be listening to jazz" and he lent me an EP of Claude Luter's band with Sidney Bechet. 65 years later and I've never looked back! And I still recall some tunes on that record: "Les Oignons" and "Le Marchand de Poissons". A life-forming experience!

Well I was introduced to Bill Haley & Freddie Bell & the Bellboys via the the movie " Blackbord Jungle" with Glenn Ford. They also played there the Kenton piece "Invention for guitar & trumpet" with Maynard and Salvador and that did it for me. I was hooked to Stans music for the next 20 years. If you can remember the scene when this young guy trow the 78's disc through the classroom? My young heart nearly stood still. These were the times

Best W.

Additional remark: This is one of the better Paul Holrn recordings for me.

Edited by jazzcorner

Any idea how that Paul Horn side ended up on Everest? It was done for Hi-Fi Jazz, produced by David Axelrod, and then ended up on Contemporary.

Maybe a few other records took this route from Axelrod to Everest...Jimmy Witherspoon, and a King Pleasure (iirc)...any others? And why them? And who was on the Everest side for this?

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

Any idea how that Paul Horn side ended up on Everest? It was done for Hi-Fi Jazz, produced by David Axelrod, and then ended up on Contemporary.

To anwers the question: No but is seems  to be licensed. The backside of the EVEREST version is a replica of the Hi-FiJAZZ LP.

BTW Havent seen it on CONTEMPORARY and I have a mass of that label.

The Hi-Fi Jazz version is here

40361094or.jpg

On 20.1.2021 at 8:06 PM, jazzcorner said:

40362932yu.jpg

40362921ip.jpg

The strange thing about that cover from the Saturday Night Session is, that Fats Navarro is not listed on the album cover. 

I have the same cover on my CD, but another cover on my LP (the french America Label). 

The Dizzy stuff is also classic and a must for bop listeners. 

On 22.1.2021 at 0:46 PM, Gheorghe said:

The strange thing about that cover from the Saturday Night Session is, that Fats Navarro is not listed on the album cover. 

I have the same cover on my CD, but another cover on my LP (the french America Label). 

The Dizzy stuff is also classic and a must for bop listeners. 

Thats correct. But he is mentioned in liner notes on the backside.

Also LORD's does lists him for f the LP.

High on an open mike
[W8573-15] WNEW Saturday Night Swing Session
Fats Navarro (tp) Bill Harris (tb) Charlie Ventura, Allen Eager (ts) Ralph Burns (p) Al Valenti (g) Chubby Jackson (b) Buddy Rich (d)
WNEW broadcast, New York, April 12, 1947
WS5006    Sweet Georgia Brown (part 1)    Vox 16102, VSP310, Giant Steps GSCR023 [CD]
WS5007    Sweet Georgia Brown (part 2)    Vox 16103, VSP310, Giant Steps GSCR023 [CD]
WS5008    Sweet Georgia Brown (part 3)    Vox 16104, VSP310, Giant Steps GSCR023 [CD]
WS5009    High on an open mike (part 1)    Vox 16104, VSP310
WS5010    High on an open mike (part 2)        16103, -
WS5011    High on an open mike (part 3)        16102, -
    Happy monster    (unissued)

Edited by jazzcorner
text correction

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Thats correct. But he is mentioned in liner notes on the backside.

Also LORD's does lists him for f the LP.

High on an open mike
[W8573-15] WNEW Saturday Night Swing Session
Fats Navarro (tp) Bill Harris (tb) Charlie Ventura, Allen Eager (ts) Ralph Burns (p) Al Valenti (g) Chubby Jackson (b) Buddy Rich (d)
WNEW broadcast, New York, April 12, 1947
WS5006    Sweet Georgia Brown (part 1)    Vox 16102, VSP310, Giant Steps GSCR023 [CD]
WS5007    Sweet Georgia Brown (part 2)    Vox 16103, VSP310, Giant Steps GSCR023 [CD]
WS5008    Sweet Georgia Brown (part 3)    Vox 16104, VSP310, Giant Steps GSCR023 [CD]
WS5009    High on an open mike (part 1)    Vox 16104, VSP310
WS5010    High on an open mike (part 2)        16103, -
WS5011    High on an open mike (part 3)        16102, -
    Happy monster    (unissued)

This is my LP copy I bought in 1978.

I remember I was a bit disappointed since I thought it will be an encounter between Roy Eldridge and Fats Navarro.

But not to forget the great side A too with Roy Eldridge playing "Ornothology" in the outing of How High the Moon. 

And I must laugh now if I think how strange the title "High On An Open Mike" sounded to me. 

Then I didn´t know what that means , I translated it into "Hoch auf einem offenen Michael".....which is worse than a google translation would be now ...

On "Sweet Georgia Brown" I always would have liked to know if it is the voice of Fats Navarro who announces Buddy Rich when Buddy starts his drum solo. It´s reported that Fats Navarro had a high pitched voice and that sounds like if maybe it is Fats announcing Buddy.

Download (6).jpg