Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I love this one and would love to own it.

It's an outstanding record. I found the LP at Euclid a few years ago. The vinyl is in excellent condition. Sound is MUCH better than the MP3 downloads I owned previously. 

Unfortunately, the cover is badly water-damaged. But still... better a damaged cover than a damaged record. ;)

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

It's an outstanding record. I found the LP at Euclid a few years ago. The vinyl is in excellent condition. Sound is MUCH better than the MP3 downloads I owned previously. 

Unfortunately, the cover is badly water-damaged. But still... better a damaged cover than a damaged record. ;)

We're spoilt as jazz fans. Second hand salsa records in good condition are a rare thing. All my salsa LPs are a wreck save for the reissues. Not as bad as reggae, but close. 

41 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

We're spoilt as jazz fans. Second hand salsa records in good condition are a rare thing. All my salsa LPs are a wreck save for the reissues. Not as bad as reggae, but close. 

Which just goes to suggest that the Salsa and Reggae albums get played a lot more...

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Which just goes to suggest that the Salsa and Reggae albums get played a lot more...

Club culture DJ classics but without the market value of e.g. soul 78s. That's my guess.

None of which explains why LPs from these two genres always appear to have been stored underwater. This is one of the mysteries of the human condition.

On 8.12.2021 at 11:46 AM, porcy62 said:

The Curson was a big surprise, never heard it, much appreciated.

Now spinnin'

R-2369810-1280061306.jpeg.jpg

I have this and bought it after I had bought the "Charles Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach" with the same personnel and recording date. Then, I was a bit disappointed since the title "plus Max Roach" let me expect that there will be two drummers. That was in 1978, the same year I saw Max Roach for the first time life. 

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

You're right. ... And it's probably just a matter of scarcity (not that many made in the first place), but I'm discovering that many Latin records are expensive too -- compared to most jazz records.  Both LPs and CDs.

But they're worth it!  :g

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I dunno if it's solely a function of frequency.

I bet salsa or reggae records are much more likely be played at parties, where folks (not necessarily the owner) are likely to spill their drink on the cover or scratch the vinyl lifting the tonearm.  Jazz?  As often than not, it's solo listening.  So there's less likelihood that the album cover is used as a beer coaster.

I would say that the records get treated differently because the music is designed for different contexts.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

None of which explains why LPs from these two genres always appear to have been stored underwater. This is one of the mysteries of the human condition.

It rains a lot in the tropics!  :P

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Club culture DJ classics but without the market value of e.g. soul 78s. That's my guess.

I missed out the :) on my original post. I was obscurely suggesting, in jest, that Salsa and Reggae albums are a lot more fun :)

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I dunno if it's solely a function of frequency.

I bet salsa or reggae records are much more likely be played at parties, where folks (not necessarily the owner) are likely to spill their drink on the cover or scratch the vinyl lifting the tonearm.  Jazz?  As often than not, it's solo listening.  So there's less likelihood that the album cover is used as a beer coaster.

I would say that the records get treated differently because the music is designed for different contexts.

That depends on the parties...I always take my Brotzmann LPs to parties, don't other folk?

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

It rains a lot in the tropics!  :P

:lol:

Meanwhile

R-498938-1460998407-3740.jpeg.jpg

Tubby Hayes Quartet - For Members Only, '67 Live [Miles Music, UK 1990]

Top notch Tubbs worth entry for the flute feature 'Finky Minky' alone, not on any other album, I'm led to believe

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have this and bought it after I had bought the "Charles Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach" with the same personnel and recording date. Then, I was a bit disappointed since the title "plus Max Roach" let me expect that there will be two drummers. That was in 1978, the same year I saw Max Roach for the first time life. 

I had both in a twoofer back then. I have both in the debut box set. I bought both in vinyl, Japan, lately. Think they are my fave “quintet like “ Mingus.

8156-CDCB-9218-4249-8525-9-AE878-BB320-B

Speaking off Contemporary…. This one arrived in the mail yesterday. Fantastic session and again I’m hugely impressed by Barbara Donald’s playing.

25 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-4916047-1384183306-6609.jpeg.jpg

Hannibal and The Sunrise Orchestra - Hannibal (MPS, 1975)

:wub:

Incredible music, incredible playing. Soul Brother….

Edited by Pim

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Some great posts in this thread over the last day or two. Alot of stuff that I need to buy.

That's the dangerous thing about this forum!  

So many knowledgeable listeners posting all sorts of diverse, interesting music.  The ears cheer, but the wallet weeps!  :g

30 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

So says the man who, come January, is going to cost me dear.

I could easily same the same about you -- and a dozen other regulars!  

17 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

No pain, no gain.:D

We can stop any time we want to, right?!?! But do we want to? ... Of course not!  :) 

R-20110270-1632650954-2140.jpeg.jpg

Graham Collier - British Conversations [My Only Desire, UK 2021]

R-1952031-1345325985-7656.jpeg.jpg

Eddy Louiss - Our Kind Of Sabi [MPF/BASF Germany, 1971]

finally an LP to replace my dodgy MP3 version.  Surman in the 70s, guaranteed fireworks

19 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Some great posts in this thread over the last day or two. Alot of stuff that I need to buy.

It's that need word that gives it away.  My partner still doesn't understand and laughs every time I say it :D

Edited by mjazzg