What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

A couple of items from my Hiroshi Tanno library, in remembrance.

cGVn.jpeg

Toshiba with OBI. In immaculate condition as always and sounding great.

I wish i could remember all of the CDs I bought from Hiroshi over the years but only one or two come to mind. I never did buy any vinyl from him as his prices were very high (as they are in Japan). I came very close when Disk Union came out with those mono replicas of a bunch of Blue Note titles but with the shipping, they came out at almost $90/each so I balked. I wish I had pulled the trigger on a few of them as they are now going for crazy money. For some reason, I thought I'd be able to pick them up used for less. Who foresaw this market? :)

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

I wish i could remember all of the CDs I bought from Hiroshi over the years but only one or two come to mind. I never did buy any vinyl from him as his prices were very high (as they are in Japan). I came very close when Disk Union came out with those mono replicas of a bunch of Blue Note titles but with the shipping, they came out at almost $90/each so I balked. I wish I had pulled the trigger on a few of them as they are now going for crazy money. For some reason, I thought I'd be able to pick them up used for less. Who foresaw this market? :)

Yeah, they weren’t cheap at the time but I recall paying about equivalent of £20 or so for Toshiba and £35-40 for Kings with shipping on top. The pound was healthy at the time so that took some of the sting away.

Only ever bought Toshiba and King LPs, never bothered with the CDs. The LP lists were enough of a challenge for me. I used to look at his fantastic lists of US originals and salivate - beyond my pay grade !

55 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Which BN mono replicas? LPs? 

Yes, this was the series:

https://www.discogs.com/label/1513760-Blue-Note-%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%83%9F%E3%82%A2%E3%83%A0%E5%BE%A9%E5%88%BB%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA

They even replicated the flatter vinyl edge of the earlier 1500 series releases. 

I got a couple back then (directly from Hiroshi). They were about 50 Euro each including shipping. Sound is fine, but I wouldn't be able to rate them against originals of the same titles (which I have never heard). 

The titles I got was Henderson's 'In' N Out', Dorham's 'Afro-Cuban' and 'Adam' s Apple'. Should have gotten additional titles really, but I couldn't afford more at the time. 

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The discogs prices for those Disk Union LPs are indeed beyond lunatic !

Yep! I have a couple of them, but IMO the best ever sounding BN's are the MusicMatters 45rpm, as you know I hate flipping records every ten minutes, but have to admit they are outstanding.

The one I really wanted was "Soul Station" but asked him for several. Even with the combined shipping, he quoted me ~$85, which, at the rime was very high for a new pressing, even in Japan. He also said they were very expensive to ship due to their weight. Looking back, I should've just pulled the trigger.

18 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Yes, this was the series:

https://www.discogs.com/label/1513760-Blue-Note-%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%83%9F%E3%82%A2%E3%83%A0%E5%BE%A9%E5%88%BB%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA

They even replicated the flatter vinyl edge of the earlier 1500 series releases. 

I got a couple back then (directly from Hiroshi). They were about 50 Euro each including shipping. Sound is fine, but I wouldn't be able to rate them against originals of the same titles (which I have never heard). 

The titles I got was Henderson's 'In' N Out', Dorham's 'Afro-Cuban' and 'Adam' s Apple'. Should have gotten additional titles really, but I couldn't afford more at the time. 

This series slipped by me. I am sure I haven't seen any of these albums in the records stores here. Starting with the BLP-4004, Holiday for Skins, RVG started to record on the two-track tape almost exclusively, and to fold it down to mono for LP releases. The kink in that is not all of the two-track recordings were released in stereo format until much later after the label sale. I would love to hear some of these Disk Union mono titles. I'll pay attention now.

Johnny Hodges - The Complete Johnny Hodges Sessions 1951 - 1955 (LP 2). This is the material from 1952 with Emmett Berry on trumpet; Lawrence Brown on trombone; Hodges, Al Sears on tenor; Leroy Lovett on piano; Barney Richmond or Lloyd Trotman on bass & Joe Marshall on drums. Am I the only one whose cover photo looks yellowed? I see these box sets listed on eBay and some are yellow-looking and others are white.

ZWc.jpeg

Edited by bresna

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

How's this? It's on every new vinyl releases page in the world. 

Not quite as strong overall as the Tone Poet which also drew on these Jazz Standard recordings but very enjoyable nevertheless and glad to have it. The studio tracks with Iggy Pop work better than I thought they would. Lonnie also bows out on side 4 with a reprise of the title track from ‘Move Your Hand’.

Pressing quality is fine to my ears.

Edited by sidewinder