Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Steve Kuhn, 'Childhood Is Forever' (BYG) 

ZWc.jpeg

Though I generally like 60s Steve Kuhn, I sometimes feel that his free-ish outbursts are sometimes a bit mannered, or at least samey. But this album has some really atmospheric and satisfying playing. 

I am a big Steve Kuhn evangelist, but agree with you.

Edited by Rabshakeh

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I am a big Steve Kuhn evangelist, but agree with you.

But I guess they are still personal, as nobody else sounds remotely the same. I have not followed him in later years. Did he become more "mainstream" as the years went by? 

Now playing a bit of an oddity, the first Revelation album; a mono copy of Dennis Budimir's 'Alone Together', mainly consisting of Budimir overdubbing himself on acoustic guitar. 

ZWc.jpeg

The production is a bit idiosyncratic. During the first track a telephone can be heard ringing several times in the background. Note the comments under "Technical Data" :_20220224_230431.JPG

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I saw him in 1982, one of  couple of nights of comeback performances (first in the UK for over 10 years) which was filmed and televised - Hammersmith Odeon. The atmosphere was incredible and as I recall it the band included Stern ( in Van Halen mode), Bill Evans, Minu Cenelu, Marcus Miller and Al Foster. They kicked off one of the sets with ‘Ife’ - a nice link with the 1970s band.

Miles hobbled on in 82 with the aid of a walking stick I recall but he was in stronger shape in ‘85.

Yes, in 1982 it must have been very good and still the working band of 1981.
I have read somewhere that in late 1981 Miles had a stroke and was slowly reconvalescencig in 1982, so maybe he walked with a cane. 
In April 1983 he was top fit and played much and even gave an encore,
I think in 1984 he walked with a cane again, hip operation like many before.
Miles always took care to look handsome, but from 1986 on they kind of made him look like a parody of himself. 
I saw him for the last time in 1989 and that was a much better band than those from 85-88, they played the newer stuff from "Amandla" and had Kai Akagi on keyboard and this was not only a keyboardist, but a hell of a soloist too. Again it sounded a bit more "jazz-like" as did the Amandla - Album....
He was in Viena in 1991 also, but I was not in town....

Yeah, I saw that Miles band with Kei Akagi and Foley back in early 1990. Some of that concert came out on that ‘Heard Round The World CD’ - Massey Hall, Toronto.  Managed to get a front row seat so saw Miles pretty close. The best of the Miles concerts I have attended, the band and Miles was on form. :)

ZWc.jpeg

MPS/ BASF

Edited by sidewinder

4 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

But where do you stand on Charlie Shavers?

Now listening to Count Basie - Afrique. This also recently new to me, and I like it very much. Is this not an Oliver Nelson record though? 

I think this is where our tastes diverge, Richard.:) 

Shavers was a powerful and exciting mainstream trumpeter, though I'd prefer Eldridge if I had to make a choice.

I listened to Afrique a while ago and thought that Nelson's arrangements didn't suit Basie, who did so well with arrangers like Benny Carter, Quincy, Hefti and Nestico. (Bill Holman was another arranger who wasn't right for Basie IMHO.)

I think ‘Afrique’ works better than it has every right to given the style and material - although Freddie Green in particular sounds to be hanging on for dear life, out of his comfort zone. A weird era for the Count, before his Pablo period starting with that Trio session in 1974 I think.

ff642dba4f74b40bac1dc0c9b8f4

Another good ‘un for a couple of pounds. Hardly played !

16 hours ago, BillF said:

I think this is where our tastes diverge, Richard.:) 

Shavers was a powerful and exciting mainstream trumpeter, though I'd prefer Eldridge if I had to make a choice.

I listened to Afrique a while ago and thought that Nelson's arrangements didn't suit Basie, who did so well with arrangers like Benny Carter, Quincy, Hefti and Nestico. (Bill Holman was another arranger who wasn't right for Basie IMHO.)

Shavers really hurt my ears on that Hal Singer record, I've never really enjoyed that fiery trumpet sound.

Re your comments on Afrique, I think that's what I meant when I feel it's more a Nelson record than a Basie record. I like almost anything Nelson did - compositions, arrangements and his own sound on sax,  which sounds (to my ears anyway) like he's physically squeezing the notes out. I get that vibe from Sonny Criss sometimes.

I also like Hubert Laws on Afrique.

Edited by rdavenport

18 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Savoy Presents Dixieland, volume 2 (Savoy ten inch)

Weather Report, Mr. Gone (Columbia)

Fats Waller, Fractious Fingering (RCA Vintage)Image result for weather report Mr. GoneImage result for Fats Waller Fractious fingering

oh you really flexible. 

I think when I was young I also could leastening to completly different music. Now I couldn´t listen to Fats Waller AFTER Weather Report. Sure I love both of them.

Maybe Fats Waller in my case was more for "studying" the tehnique of stride. I mean I first heard Jakie Byard on Mingus64 when I was 14,15,  and later other pianists of his generation like Bud and Monk and both liked some stride sections in it, so I bought two  Art Tatum albums, and a RCa-2-LP set of Fats Waller. Sure I never could have the left hand of Fats Waller, but at least it´s a good lesson because many  Bop and Hard imitators  became single handed pianists  so I wanted to overcome that weakness. 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

oh you really flexible. 

I think when I was young I also could leastening to completly different music. Now I couldn´t listen to Fats Waller AFTER Weather Report. Sure I love both of them.

Maybe Fats Waller in my case was more for "studying" the tehnique of stride. I mean I first heard Jakie Byard on Mingus64 when I was 14,15,  and later other pianists of his generation like Bud and Monk and both liked some stride sections in it, so I bought two  Art Tatum albums, and a RCa-2-LP set of Fats Waller. Sure I never could have the left hand of Fats Waller, but at least it´s a good lesson because many  Bop and Hard imitators  became single handed pianists  so I wanted to overcome that weakness. 

Yes, Jaki Byard, ATFW USA. I also heard Jaki first, then moved backwards in time.