Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-18721084-1620989945-3748.jpeg.jpg

Hank Crawford - Indigo Blue (Milestone, 1983)

On 3/4/2022 at 0:35 PM, mjazzg said:

Ken McIntyre Trio - Chasing The Sun [Steeplechase, Denmark 1979]

Is it just me who had no idea just how great this album is?

I've never heard it.  Sounds like I need to.

Jeanne Lee – Conspiracya3615462275_16.jpg

First spin of the new reissue. My wife is usually very tolerant of avant garde jazz, but clearly did not take to this one. She called it "Venice Biennale" music and kept mockingly informing me what was coming up and telling me it would be "the best bit". What was galling was that her predictions were accurate at each point.

In fairness to her, she let me play both sides.

Now on Sonny Criss - Portrait of Sonny Criss (Prestige, 1972 issue).

Portrait_of_Sonny_Criss.jpg

This is more in line with the principles of marital comity, apparently. Sonny Criss in gorgeous knitwear.

Edited by Rabshakeh

I enjoyed the Hank Crawford LP I played earlier so much that I pulled out another:

NTgtMzY3MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Midnight Ramble (Milestone, 1983)

15 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Now on Sonny Criss - Portrait of Sonny Criss (Prestige, 1972 issue).

Portrait_of_Sonny_Criss.jpg

This is more in line with the principles of marital comity, apparently.

Sometimes you gotta take one for the team.  ;) 

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Sometimes you gotta take one for the team.  ;) 

Such hardship... 

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I enjoyed the Hank Crawford LP I played earlier so much that I pulled out another:

NTgtMzY3MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Midnight Ramble (Milestone, 1983)

I feel like there's so much Crawford that I don't know. 

14 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I feel like there's so much Crawford that I don't know. 

He had a long career and recorded prolifically.  I have about 20 of his albums, and there's still a bunch I've never heard.

Among my faves are two that Crawford co-led with Jimmy McGriff: Steppin' Up (Milestone, 1987) and Road Tested (Milestone, 1997).   

But there's a lot to hear.  A good "problem" to have for us listeners!  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Andrew Hill - Black Fire [Blue Note, NY mono, 1964]

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

The toast of the Biennale.

I tried to listen to it as if I'd not heard it before to attempt to empathise with Mrs R, which was an interesting experience that I probably failed. 

But it did highlight it as such a personal statement, quite without peer at the time that I'm aware of.  It's one of those albums that I always find difficulty in choosing what to listen to next as if it's created its own musical environment, sui generis.   And I do realise that that description probably reinforces Mrs R's point.

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Andrew Hill - Black Fire [Blue Note, NY mono, 1964]

I tried to listen to it as if I'd not heard it before to attempt to empathise with Mrs R, which was an interesting experience that I probably failed. 

But it did highlight it as such a personal statement, quite without peer at the time that I'm aware of.  It's one of those albums that I always find difficulty in choosing what to listen to next as if it's created its own musical environment, sui generis.   And I do realise that that description probably reinforces Mrs R's point.

I struggle with avant warbling, but enjoy Lee much more than Maggie Nichols or Patty Waters (despite a long and personal relationship with Sings). It's an X factor thing: Lee is just much warmer and has less of the proto-arts institution feel that I think Mrs R is picking up on.

23 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I struggle with avant warbling, but enjoy Lee much more than Maggie Nichols or Patty Waters (despite a long and personal relationship with Sings). It's an X factor thing: Lee is just much warmer and has less of the proto-arts institution feel that I think Mrs R is picking up on.

I agree. In my head I describe it as "soulfulness".

I also struggle with avant-warbling (great term) but do enjoy both Julie Tippetts and Uschi Bruning who probably fall into that category. One of the best gigs I've seen in the last few years was Schweizer, Nicholls, Leandre where they warbled to their hearts content, and mine.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I agree. In my head I describe it as "soulfulness".

I also struggle with avant-warbling (great term) but do enjoy both Julie Tippetts and Uschi Bruning who probably fall into that category. One of the best gigs I've seen in the last few years was Schweizer, Nicholls, Leandre where they warbled to their hearts content, and mine.

Soulfulness Lee has mountains of. A lovely late summer night feel too, which is definitely not what what I associate with the area.

Tippetts I like a lot. Who is Uschi Bruning? I don't know his/her work at all.

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

43150449qw.jpg

One thing about these records is that they always have the most incredibly tempting line ups. That's part of the marketing strategy I guess (Mr. Granz at work), but it works, since these were often musicians who had come up when compatibility was a key skill for a working musician.

Edited by Rabshakeh