Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Niko said:

I could imagine that you and Mr Miyazawa had two interests in common then... 

MzgtNDc3OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Ny03Njc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Thank you, this is the special method of flyfishing that started in Japan and is called "Tenkara". Nice fishing in a trout populated small river. So it´s really possible he also is a passionate fisherman like me...

How deep into the Arthur Prysock catalogue have you gone/are you wanting to get?

I only ask because I was delighted to find that almost all of the Verve and very many of the Old Town records contain absolutely superb singing in sometimes/often less that superb arrangements/settings. If you've gone deep enough, you'll have learned that already, but if you haven't, do so knowing that.

Me, I've hardly ever heard one where the meh-ness of the settings overwhelmed the exquisite vocals. That guy was a treasure.

And the kids liked him too!

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

How deep into the Arthur Prysock catalogue have you gone/are you wanting to get?

I only ask because I was delighted to find that almost all of the Verve and very many of the Old Town records contain absolutely superb singing in sometimes/often less that superb arrangements/settings. If you've gone deep enough, you'll have learned that already, but if you haven't, do so knowing that.

Me, I've hardly ever heard one where the meh-ness of the settings overwhelmed the exquisite vocals. That guy was a treasure.

I'm just starting to explore Prysock's music. But I'm planning to dig more deeply.  So thanks for the heads-up.  I'll keep that in mind.

My knowledge of Billy Eckstine is similarly shallow -- but I'm also looking to explore his discography more as well.

I'd love to know any albums that you’ve particularly enjoyed from either of them.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Check this out:

Thanks for the lead on that 10-inch LP with Bobby Tucker.

I've heard B's terrific version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."  It's on an MGM 2-CD compilation that's in my collection.  Love that stuff!!!

Edited by HutchFan

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks for the lead on that 10-inch LP with Bobby Tucker.

I've heard B's terrific version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."  It's on an MGM 2-CD compilation that's in my collection.  Love that stuff!!!

I listen very often to those two, love everything about it. Mr. B is my favourite singer, together with Earl Coleman, Johnny Hartman, Kenny Hagood. If there would be more airshots of the Eckstine Band discovered I´d be glad. Once while he was still alive he stated that he still has unussued material of that period.

I like those combinations of Singer and hip Orchestra (dig Tadd Dameron´s arrangements ) and if I don´t listen to jazz, I like Max Raabe and his Palast Orchestra because it has that sly irony in the way he sings with that vacant look and hip voice and hip dressed, and there´s a lot of space for the soloists of the orchestra too. 

Herunterladen (7).jpg

Herunterladen (8).jpg

As far as Epstein recs, I will buy any of his records, to be hones. On his later works for Motown & Enterprise, he doesn't at all sound like an old guy trying to make record for the kids. He sounds like Billy-Fucking-Eckstine, period.

The MGM stuff is still not all out there, thus my call for a Mosaic. His Mercury & Roulete stuff too. Again, sometimes less than:hip" settings, but also again, Billy Eckstine trumps all.

Here's one that a probably lot of people already have, but if not, carpe diem!

NjgtODg4Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

OTMtOTkxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

If ?love wants to continue in his attempts to counter "Black erasure", he could do far worse than turn the spotlight on Billy Eckstine. At his peak he ws known as the "Sepia Sinatra", but that was notas much a praise as it sounds. It ws a limiter, and as his career progressed the imposed upward limitations played out. By the time he died, he was at best a "cult figure" (maybe without a cult). And today's people..."who is Billy Eckstine?" should be a question that is never asked.

On 6/10/2021 at 0:37 PM, bresna said:

Immanuel Wilkins - Omega (Blue Note)

IMMANUEL WILKINS "OMEGA" - Blue Note Records

What do members here think of Wilkins' 2nd outing, The 7th Hand?

I liked Omega. Wilkins' quartet is inspired, especially his piano player Micah Thomas. So I was looking forward to his new one. But I was quite disappointed.

Whereas Omega strikes me as good post-bop, somewhat Coltrane influenced but not cloned, The 7th Hand is much less compelling, for me at least. I suppose it would help if I liked "free" jazz more, which is the style of "Lift" what seems to be regarded as the standout tune on the 2lp set, taking up the entire 4th side. It's pretty much noise jazz in my book, and I found it pretty much unlistenable. A lot of rapid fire notes, to be sure, but definitely not for me.

The rest of the set if not as "out" as the 4th side. I'll try to give it another chance, but not sure I'll even be keeping this one.

Perhaps Wilkins and his trio feel the need to experiment and push boundaries more than they did on Omega, as they continue to build their body of work. I respect that. But I'll definitely do some spot checking before buying any more of their output.