Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

81-BYTc98jL._SS555_.jpg

Marlene VerPlanck - Pure & Natural (Audiophile, 1987)

and

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Steve Kuhn Quartet - Last Year's Waltz (ECM, 1982)
with Sheila Jordan (vo), Harvie Swartz (b), and Bob Moses (d)

Recorded April 1981 at Fat Tuesday's, NYC

Edited by HutchFan

23 hours ago, Pim said:

77-E85-B8-E-87-F7-4-B77-9698-FC12-E6-B74
I always enjoy Buds stuff on Verve just as much as his Blue Note output.

Isn´t this the one with "Conception" as the first tune ?  That´s one of Bud´s most fascinating performances. People say it´s a hard tune to play but I love it and performed it often. As I remember it is the tune that really is the most memorable stuff on the record. And this time the drums are well recorded. And the key in Db is also cool for me, love to play it in that key. 
There was another LP from the same period called "Bud Powell Moods", which as a similar abstract cover art but is not as interesting as the "Interpretations" album. 

What sucks a bit is the very short and not very interesting liner notes, I think they were written by Norman Granz himself. 

On 4.5.2022 at 0:46 PM, jazzcorner said:

Yes they are members of the Charlie Ventura unit in a very early live concert  1949 at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium which appeared in 2 parts on 2 different labels (GNP & MCA)

Have both and  they are phantastic with that Ventura group. Recommend  both very much.

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43257925st.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43257924za.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43247185bz.jpg

Yes, that´s it. In books about jazz in the 40´s like Ira Gitler´s book and others, the "Bop for the people" wasn´t mentioned very much. See, for dudes from Europe who were born after the 40´s , we didn´t know very much about groups that may have had a short time fame, but nevertheless the "Bop for the People" is something I had heard about. And that tune "High on an Open Mike" was for eternity through the 1947 "Saturday Night Jazz Session" which we all bought in the 70´s mostly for the participation of Fats Navarro. 
I remember my English was very weak and depended on my understanding of the liner notes. But the title "High on an Open Mike" was ununderstandable for me then. "Mike" was the english name for "Mihail" or "Michael" how I knew it and I translated it in "Hoch auf einem offenen Michael" (I think only Google-Translate can do worse:lol:), but it is an interesting Ventura original with some "swing to bop" elements. The A part is based on "If I had You" and the bridge is a descending chord thing, very very nice to play really......
Benny Green is really cool, but I think on that WNEW Saturday Night stuff it was Bill Harris on tb, who sounds more old fashioned for our understanding, a bit more Dixieland style if I´m right. 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Isn´t this the one with "Conception" as the first tune ?  That´s one of Bud´s most fascinating performances. People say it´s a hard tune to play but I love it and performed it often. As I remember it is the tune that really is the most memorable stuff on the record. And this time the drums are well recorded. And the key in Db is also cool for me, love to play it in that key. 
There was another LP from the same period called "Bud Powell Moods", which as a similar abstract cover art but is not as interesting as the "Interpretations" album. 

What sucks a bit is the very short and not very interesting liner notes, I think they were written by Norman Granz himself. 

Oh yes it is. Great tune indeed. I really like this record. Jazz Giant and Genius of are my favorites on Verve. But I also like this one, The Lonely One and Blues in the Closet as well. the liner notes aren’t anything interesting. 

2 hours ago, BillF said:

ab67616d0000b2737a607fdf1cdbeed564082b0a

The recent ‘1965’ CD release by Tubby has a very interesting prototype version of the ‘Proof’ Suite recorded for the BBC by the Commonwealth Big Band. Quite an ear-opener !

7 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Straight in my wishlist! :)

I’ve got that one on King somewhere (if I can find it :rolleyes:).

18 hours ago, Pim said:

Oh yes it is. Great tune indeed. I really like this record. Jazz Giant and Genius of are my favorites on Verve. But I also like this one, The Lonely One and Blues in the Closet as well. the liner notes aren’t anything interesting. 

Jazz Giant and Genius were the first I had under Bud´s own name, but the best or at least most interesting Bud for me was the Birdland Stuff with Bird, Fats or Bird Dizzy from 1950/51 and the Massey Hall Quintet 1953. I like Be bop mostly as a group performance. 
About the other Verve trio recordings, yes: "Lonely One" has some great moments and by the way "Lonely One" has more interesting liner notes. "Blues in the Closet" I like most for those great ballad performances "I didn´t know what time it was" and "I Should Care", but on my copy the piano is recorded with too much treble and the bass is recorded too loud. I also have another from those Verve Series that is titled "Bud Powell ´57" which is the less interesting, it seems they are some remainders. Completly confusing since it was not recorded in 1957 but in late 1954 and seems to be a bit weird. "Like Someone in Love" doesn´t sound as good as it sounded on later performances, "That Old Black Magic" is not really together with Max Roach, and "Round Midnight" doesn´t have the exitement it had on the Performances with Bird and Diz, or the later performances in the 60´s. 
"Old Black Magic" sounds much better on his live recordings at Birdland from autumn 1964, where he also includes a stride-section, very fine. 

16 hours ago, porcy62 said:

OS00MzM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

King Pressing

I have this also, but somehow I don´t spin all the Lou Donaldson albums. What keeps is "Blues Walk" and sometimes the very fine "Lou Takes Off" with the sextet. And my wife likes the "If I love again" on the first album (quartet, quintet, sextet). 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I have this also, but somehow I don´t spin all the Lou Donaldson albums. What keeps is "Blues Walk" and sometimes the very fine "Lou Takes Off" with the sextet. And my wife likes the "If I love again" on the first album (quartet, quintet, sextet). 

You're a musician, I am a guy who spin records ;), I spin most of them. I agree that not all his BN output is great, though I like his playing even in his less successful sessions.

A day of vibes leaders so far

MC01ODgwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Steve Nelson Quartet - Live Session One [Red Records, Italy 1990]

Jay Hoggard - The Little Tiger | Releases | Discogs

Jay Hoggard - The Little Tiger [Muse, 1991]

no bonus track for me as it's the LP

OS04NTkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Bobby Hutcherson - Ambos Mundos [Landmark, 1989]

just arrived, can't believe I've slept on this date for so long

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

May God bless the Rising Sun Country whose fiery people preserved the noble Art of Records, like forging spades, even in the darkest hour of the Digital Age.

:tup:tup