• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

43678985ac.jpg

Yeah, interesting record. Both Bird and Newks on tenors. Miles in very good form, and maybe the first occasion where Miles recorded with Philly J.J.

Also the side B with Newks. Flanagan, Chambers and Taylor is nice. 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ny02MzEwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Art Pepper Quartet - APQ: The Maiden Voyage Sessions, Vol. 3 (Galaxy)

:wub:

The best quartet Art Pepper ever had. Many like the quartet with Milcho Levieff too, but Cables swings more. 

But the artists would have deserved a cover photo with more dignity. It looks like if they pissin´. And somehow they caught Art with such a mean look, the cigarette in the mouth does not make it better....

18 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

42425017fb.jpg

43683116xt.jpg

Looks like a PRESTIGE edition to me  :D

I have the Lee Konitz - Miles Davis album with the same cover, but on side B there is other tunes and musicians. It has a duo Konitz-Jimmy Raney, and some more abstract tunes featuring Teddy Charles. The last tune is a very very strange sounding version of "Night in Tunisia". 

There was an earlier Davis-Konitz collaboration in the late 40´s I think. With John Lewis and Max Roach I think...

Edited by Gheorghe

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I have the Lee Konitz - Miles Davis album with the same cover, but on side B there is other tunes and musicians. It has a duo Konitz-Jimmy Raney, and some more abstract tunes featuring Teddy Charles. The last tune is a very very strange sounding version of "Night in Tunisia". 

There was an earlier Davis-Konitz collaboration in the late 40´s I think. With John Lewis and Max Roach I think...

Ahh yes @Gheorghe . Have checked my Items again  and found out, I have  here made  a mixup of the back sides.

The tracks from the Item  shown above (white cover + red characters) belong to this one below ---> Prestige  PR 7827

43689439fx.jpg

The correct tracks of my first submission (white cover)  are these ----> Prestige / New Jazz  8295

43689511wy.jpg

My version of that Miles/Konitz session came as one of a set of loose LPs (no sleeves or booklet) which Mole Jazz sold in one of their early 80s post-Xmas sales. £1 per LP ! Still got those LPs (all 12) and they still stand up.

From this one - 

My0yNjMwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Those sales at Kings Cross were as manic as Harrods. 

Edited by sidewinder

My copy of EZZ-THETIC! is a first New Jazz pressing and the tracks are the following:

A1  Lee Konitz & Miles Davis–Odjenar - Written-By – Russell - 2:52

A2  Lee Konitz & Miles Davis–Hi Beck - Written-By – Lee Konitz - 3:05

A3  Lee Konitz & Miles Davis–Yesterdays - Written-By – Kern* - 2:25

A4  Lee Konitz & Miles Davis–Ezz-Thetic - Written-By – Russell* - 2:52

A5  Lee Konitz & Miles Davis–Indian Summer - Written-By – Herbert* - 2:34

A6  Lee Konitz & Miles Davis–Duet For Saxophone & Guitar - Written-By – Lee Konitz - 2:38

B1  Teddy Charles & Jimmy Raney–Edging Out - Written-By – Teddy Charles - 4:12

B2  Teddy Charles & Jimmy Raney–Nocturne - Written-By – Teddy Charles - 2:50

B3  Teddy Charles & Jimmy Raney–Composition For Four Pieces - Written-By – Jimmy Raney - 1:34

B4 Teddy Charles & Jimmy Raney–Night In Tunisia - Written-By – Gillespie*, Paparelli* - 6:46

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Ahh yes @Gheorghe . Have checked my Items again  and found out, I have  here made  a mixup of the back sides.

The tracks from the Item  shown above (white cover + red characters) belong to this one below ---> Prestige  PR 7827

43689439fx.jpg

The correct tracks of my first submission (white cover)  are these ----> Prestige / New Jazz  8295

43689511wy.jpg

Those Prestige covers with a photo and with those stripes and the text "Historical series were around there in the early 70´s and from that series "Miles Davis - Steaming" was my first jazz listening ever and I got hooked for the rest of my live. Then I purchase "Coltrane-Soultrane" from the same series, the one with "Good Bait" and "I wanna talk about you", and while browsing thru the records I also found "Tadd Dameron - John Coltrane Mating Call". They were not expensive and could be purchased with the monthy pocket money. 

Ah, and actually my second self bought record was "Mingus in Concert" (3 LPs with Dolphy in Paris). So Miles and Mingus where my first "heroes" 

4 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

MC03MjY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Fantastic ! Vintage bop with the very best performers. Stitt on tenor is great , the tunes are great, and IMHO it is one of Bud Powell´s very best performances. This and the BN with Fats Navarro and Rollins....

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Could be this one:

Miles Davis
[D1521-15]
Miles Davis And His Orchestra:
Miles Davis (tp) Mike Zwerin (tb) Junior Collins (fhr) Bill Barber (tu) Lee Konitz (as) Gerry Mulligan (bar,arr) John Lewis (p,arr) Al McKibbon (b) Max Roach (d) Kenny Hagood (vcl) Gil Evans (arr)
Broadcast "Royal Roost", New York, September 4, 1948
   Capitol CDP-594550 [CD]  

Edited by jazzcorner