Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DD700-E32-BEDB-4684-B2-C5-3-F9393-CE1-C6

I really love the fact that Blue Note hase chosen to make a Tone Poet out of this one. Wilson must be the most forgotten and underrated big band leader. This one’s on fire and it’s awesome to hear it in such high fidelity 

On 04/06/2022 at 3:44 PM, porcy62 said:

MjEtNTAwNC5qcGVn.jpeg

Following the expensive suggestion of Sidewinder, I grabbed this set. Very happy about it.

:tup

48 minutes ago, Pim said:

DD700-E32-BEDB-4684-B2-C5-3-F9393-CE1-C6

I really love the fact that Blue Note hase chosen to make a Tone Poet out of this one. Wilson must be the most forgotten and underrated big band leader. This one’s on fire and it’s awesome to hear it in such high fidelity 

That's a really good album.

I'd be interested to hear the TP, my original is in good shape so will probably stick with it

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

:tup

That's a really good album.

I'd be interested to hear the TP, my original is in good shape so will probably stick with it

I seldom replace my albums as well unless the original is really crappy (some of the 75th birthday editions). As I did not own this album yet this was a great opportunity :)

15 hours ago, bresna said:

Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm Section (Craft). Mono Record Store Day pressing. This sounds very nice. I wasn't expecting it to sound this good. I am not usually a mono fetishist, so I was thinking I might be a bit disappointed.

Primary

I´m not really an audiophile and most time I´m so focussed to listen to the music that I forget if something is mono or stereo. Strange album somehow. I always try to find out if the combination Art Pepper and the Rhythm Section is as good as it´s advertised. 
I got to know so called "West Coast Musicians" like Pepper, Mulligan, Baker much later, when there sound and surroundigs had changed to more modern approaches. That´s why I have Pepper´s sound from the late 70´s early 80´s in my ears. What I hear on this record is a very very smooth light alto combined with a more smoother touch of the "Rhythm Section". It´s like if they tried to adapt there sound to that light and easy listening alto sound. 

Not everything came off well: "Jazz me blue" sounds a bit out of fashion even for 1957, and "Waltz me blue" is a try of Art Pepper to contribute an "original" but it´s not really a qualitative composition. 

The story behind the session is also a strange one. It tends to dramaticize too much Art´s junkey live. Well, the music sounds so fair and smooth it´s hard to believe that a hopless junkey plays those lines and that sound.....

7 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

His records are very expensive at Discogs in mint- condition. Thats a pity.

Have only 2 Items under his name. Great artist and IMO much underrated.

I don´t really know what records cost since I haven´t bought any recently, but those Tina Brooks things all were reissued on BN in several editions I think "RVG Edition" "Conoisseur Series" or what they were. 
I had or still have "Back to Tracks" which I like most. Then another I think from the late fifties with Lee Morgan on it, but forgot the title and think it was released after his death, and I think there was still another one which was not as great as "Back to Tracks". 
And he is a very fine sideman on a Freddie Redd album, I forgot the title, it´s not the Connection, but it has both McLean and Brooks on it and wonderful compositions. The first starts with a rubato playing and then they get into a crisp tempo, beautiful changes on that, I think it´s titled "The Thespian" or something like that, got to play this with a quintet....

Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land. One of my few (only?) DMM LPs. I am not generally a fan of these pressings, as they generally sound too bright to me. This LP is no different. Very bright or maybe a better way to put it - very little bass and too much midrange. I never did pick this up when Music Matters put it out. I should have. This is a great session. Probably my favorite Lee Morgan date.

Primary