Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, bresna said:

Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land. One of my few (only?) DMM LPs. I am not generally a fan of these pressings, as they generally sound too bright to me. This LP is no different. Very bright or maybe a better way to put it - very little bass and too much midrange. I never did pick this up when Music Matters put it out. I should have. This is a great session. Probably my favorite Lee Morgan date.

Primary

I was pretty disappointed this one did not appear in the new Classics line-up

Next up, Lawrence Brown's All-Stars with Johnny Hodges - Inspired Abandon (Impulse!). A nice stereo original I found at Stereo Jack's a few years ago. I hear a record like this and all I can think is that this is one of Duke's guys trying to make a few bucks on his own but it's still an Ellington record. :)

Funny, but I saw this "Inspired Abandon" as I was filing Donald Brown's "Sources of Inspiration" a rather fitting progression.

Primary

6 minutes ago, bresna said:

I hear a record like this and all I can think is that this is one of Duke's guys trying to make a few bucks on his own but it's still an Ellington record.

somebody should invent a word for that...is "Ellingtonia" a real word?

Just now, HutchFan said:

Hmm.  I really dig that album.  Different strokes and all that, I guess.

I actually pulled it out because it has Gary Bartz on it and I've read on Facebook that Gary has had to cancel a few appearances due to his health, so I wanted to spin something of his. I should've spun his live date from Birdland, "There Goes The Neighborhood", which is smokin'.

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I actually pulled it out because it has Gary Bartz on it and I've read on Facebook that Gary has had to cancel a few appearances due to his health, so I wanted to spin something of his. I should've spun his live date from Birdland, "There Goes The Neighborhood", which is smokin'.

I also found Source of Inspiration a bit lackluster than I was expecting it to be. Should probably spin it again. With that said “There Goes the Neighborhood” is KILLER! Gary’s solo on On A Misty Night is my favorite solo of all-time. 

On 8.6.2022 at 0:49 PM, porcy62 said:

Ni0xMjE1LmpwZWc.jpeg

:D:tup

17 hours ago, bresna said:

Next up, Lawrence Brown's All-Stars with Johnny Hodges - Inspired Abandon (Impulse!). A nice stereo original I found at Stereo Jack's a few years ago. I hear a record like this and all I can think is that this is one of Duke's guys trying to make a few bucks on his own but it's still an Ellington record. :)

Funny, but I saw this "Inspired Abandon" as I was filing Donald Brown's "Sources of Inspiration" a rather fitting progression.

Primary

:D:tup

On 9.6.2022 at 11:48 PM, jcam_44 said:

I also found Source of Inspiration a bit lackluster than I was expecting it to be. Should probably spin it again. With that said “There Goes the Neighborhood” is KILLER! Gary’s solo on On A Misty Night is my favorite solo of all-time. 

I must hear that , Gary Bartz playing "Misty Night". Strange but over here there are not many players who play that tune. I heard Pharoah Sanders do it. Gary Bartz, besides all his musical explorations starting with the great contributions to Miles Davis always had a big heart for be bop. On those two fantastic albums of "Heads of State" he plays many bop tunes. 

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

hancock-the-prisoner-cover-1800-ljc.jpg

Tone Poet version - excellent

It took for me to get this Tone Poet LP to realize that there is a ton of reverb added to the horns on this date. I don't think it's a good thing. It's too bad that there isn't a master tape of this session "dry" before RVG added all that reverb, because I'd love to hear it.

00602435732060_COVER.jpg?1646997848

The new Tone Poet - I have quite a number of versions of this on LP and CD including an original and this is the best of the lot by some distance. The percussion comes across really clearly - fantastic reissue.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

It took for me to get this Tone Poet LP to realize that there is a ton of reverb added to the horns on this date. I don't think it's a good thing. It's too bad that there isn't a master tape of this session "dry" before RVG added all that reverb, because I'd love to hear it.

I quite like that reverb.

Edited by sidewinder

On 11.6.2022 at 1:28 PM, sidewinder said:

hancock-the-prisoner-cover-1800-ljc.jpg

Tone Poet version - excellent

I don´t really know what is Tone Poet, but I had the Herbie Hancock album on the BN LA series with them ugly paper back covers and blue letters. But while other albums from that series where reissues of entire albums, this was only a sampler and had a few tracks from each of Hancocks LPs. 
The Prisoner is great, especially for the contributions of Joe Henderson. I bought individual CDs of the Hancock albums.

On 11.6.2022 at 5:11 PM, kh1958 said:

Charlie Parker Memorial Concert (Cadet)Image result for charlie parker memorial concert cadet

I couldn´t read who is on it. 
I think I have somewhere a Charlie Parker Memorial 1965 (10 years after Charlie Parker´s death but it has more musicians form the generation before Bird (Coleman Hawkins and Roy Eldrigde). 

7 hours ago, bresna said:

If you like Chanbers' arco bass solos... not my favorite.

Well I like "Whims of Chambers" more, because it has Trane and Philly J.J., but I have heard not for only one time that some do not really like Chambers with arco. Why ? The first arco I heard in my live was Chambers on Well you Needn´t from the "Steamin´album" and then on "Whims". It was incredible. I couldn´t believe that you can play something like that on a bass fiddle and Chambers was something like a "hero" for me . 

Well that BN album is nice and there are fantastic arco solos, but it´s a bit too much. A whole album mostly bass is a bit too much. That´s why I like "Whims" more. Bass player as leader yeah, like Paul on "Whims" and Mingus on all his albums, but leader does not mean you solo all the time.