Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I couldn't find a copy at my friendly neighborhood record store.

My ‘local’ had 3 copies. Same with the Miles and Blakey. Unprecedented !

The Hubbard concert is available in video on YouTube but it is nice to listen to it in good sound.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Interesting. Have this one.

43852216qg.jpg

43852217ox.jpg

43852218lh.jpg

The LP in my collection has 8 of the 15 tracks on your LP (in different order). The liner notes state that there is a second volume from the concert. Your LP has very long playing time per side, so I assume they just put it all in one volume

VSP was a bit of a "budget label" for Verve, so... 

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

The LP in my collection has 8 of the 15 tracks on your LP (in different order). The liner notes state that there is a second volume from the concert. Your LP has very long playing time per side, so I assume they just put it all in one volume

11 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Interesting. Have this one.

43852216qg.jpg

43852217ox.jpg

43852218lh.jpg

Maybe I´m not the greatest fan of Woody Herman since it never did thrill me the way the contemporanious Billy Eckstine Big Band or Dizzy Gillespie Big Band did, I would like to hear some from this, it has some famous players and I think Sonny Berman was mentioned in Ira Gitler´s book "Jazz Masters of the 40´s ". I also heard some of that "Bird with the Herd" which is fun, but for my tastes it´s a bit too tough and straight big band sound, very very well played but something I hear in the two mentioned big bands that I could associate with Bird, is missing or not fitting to Birds melodical and rhythmical concepts....., far from racial, but maybe african american musicians from that generation would have said it sounds "white"...

I saw Woody Herman twice, one in 1979 where the played some Chick Corea compositions, and an all star small group 6 or 7 years later. I enjoyed both of them.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Maybe I´m not the greatest fan of Woody Herman since it never did thrill me the way the contemporanious Billy Eckstine Big Band or Dizzy Gillespie Big Band did, I would like to hear some from this, it has some famous players and I think Sonny Berman was mentioned in Ira Gitler´s book "Jazz Masters of the 40´s ". I also heard some of that "Bird with the Herd" which is fun, but for my tastes it´s a bit too tough and straight big band sound, very very well played but something I hear in the two mentioned big bands that I could associate with Bird, is missing or not fitting to Birds melodical and rhythmical concepts....., far from racial, but maybe african american musicians from that generation would have said it sounds "white"...

I saw Woody Herman twice, one in 1979 where the played some Chick Corea compositions, and an all star small group 6 or 7 years later. I enjoyed both of them.

We had the Woody Herman big band with a private guest concert in our jazzclub in Koblenz, Germany in the late 1970ies.

Also met him personally and talked a bit (when my hair & mustache werent grey)

43855876jz.jpg

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

We had the Woody Herman big band with a private guest concert in our jazzclub in Koblenz, Germany in the late 1970ies.

Also met him personally and talked a bit (when my hair & mustache werent grey)

43855876jz.jpg

Impressive! I also saw the Herman band at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester in the 70s. All I remember now is that it was a band of young white guys with the exception of  none other than Walter Bishop Jr on piano!

One of those days.  The blues are in order. so I'm listening to Mr. Witherspoon:

Jimmy Witherspoon sings the blues, Black and Blue, July '79 (France)

PS: Due to a lack of tech savvy, I'm blue trying to illustrate this post.

please reply w how to for my limited set-up.  A bajillion thanks.  

Set-up: in this post, I tried to screenshot album, front & back, and then

transfer SOMEHOW FROM IPHONE to this forum on my LAPTOP.

I know it's pathetically unhip. It's also the reason I have so much free 

time.

BTW;  I tried Apple Music (on my IPhone) and AllMusic for art, but this

album is as nonexistent as the golden fleece.  jk

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Saw him in ‘78 I think - Lyle Mays was in the band and they also did Chick stuff such as ‘La Fiesta’. Managed permission to go back stage and saw Woody close up, amazed how short he was !

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Saw him in ‘78 I think - Lyle Mays was in the band and they also did Chick stuff such as ‘La Fiesta’. Managed permission to go back stage and saw Woody close up, amazed how short he was !

Well I think we had the same musical program in our private concert. Have to check my foto archive if there are some snapshots from that meeting.

24 minutes ago, Jon King said:

Bingo, Jsngry!  Ok, your approval on a 1-10 scale, 1 least, 10 highest ?

That label generally defaults to 10 for me, and Spoon generally does too. Don't think I know this one, actually, but with that lineup (Moody!!!), hey, hard to imagine it being anything else. 

One track was killer.  I noticed JW was singing on pitch, in register to the sax (Jacquet) who was playing the lyric at the same time note for note.  Not your everyday blues singer that was.  So, I think if you can give the album a spin, it’s time well spent. Also, JW sings Good Rockin’ Tonight in a subtler manner than those other rockers, and they might have benefited by studying his phrasing closely.  This album will be a go -to blueser down the line for me.  Newly acquired 2 weeks back.