Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Junior Mance with David Newman, Live at the Top (Atlantic)

Charlie Parker on Dial, volume 4 (Spotlite)Image result for junior mance at the topImage result for Charlie Parker on dial volume 4

I don´t remember exatly which one was Volume 4, but all those Spotlite LPs were very very important for Bird students in my youth. We listened to them all, though I kept only a CD with all the Savoy and Dial Mastertakes. 

18 hours ago, Pim said:

0-EB2-A3-B6-F04-B-4000-BBD8-70035575-CC4
If I had to mention the best post 1970 straight ahead jazz session it would probably be this one…. On hideous silver vinyl ik the new Timeless reissue series. Sounds great btw

This reminded me to dig it out. I have not listened to this record in around 2 years, but every time I do I remember just how incredibly superior it is in every way. What an album.

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I don´t remember exatly which one was Volume 4, but all those Spotlite LPs were very very important for Bird students in my youth. We listened to them all, though I kept only a CD with all the Savoy and Dial Mastertakes. 

This LP has Dexterity, Bongo Bop, Dewey Square, The Hymn, Embraceable You, Bird of Paradise. One of the greatest recording sessions in jazz.

Edited by kh1958

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

This LP has Dexterity, Bongo Bop, Dewey Square, The Hymn, Embraceable You, Bird of Paradise. One of the greatest recording sessions in jazz.

I still have all those Spotlite LPs, even though I long ago replaced them with the Complete Savoy and Dial Recordings box. It was a considerable point of pride for me back then when I managed to get hold of those LPs. And the music was--and is--so very fine!

gregmo

5 hours ago, Jon King said:

re: Tribute (R McConnell) 

excellent arrangements, great ensemble, musically adventurous, well worth a purchase, as I intend to when possible.  

Thanks for a great Share!

Agreed. The Bill Evans tune with the flute arrangement is really something in a big band

17 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Oh yes, those later Dials recorded in NY. With J.J. Jones added, right ? Yes, that´s vintage Bird. 

On 6/25/2022 at 0:27 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I had not heard of the group Detail, or this enhanced version. They appear to have a number of records. Are there any that anyone particularly recommends?

Okhela and Way It Goes/Dance of the Soul are two vinyl favorites, the latter a quartet with Bobby Bradford... Backwards & Forwards is also quite strong. Frode Gjerstad has released/supervised a number of archival Detail sessions on CD as well. 

24 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Okhela and Way It Goes/Dance of the Soul are two vinyl favorites, the latter a quartet with Bobby Bradford... Backwards & Forwards is also quite strong. Frode Gjerstad has released/supervised a number of archival Detail sessions on CD as well. 

Thanks! I'm surprised at how prolific this group was. I had never heard of it. More listening to do.

On 26/06/2022 at 4:46 PM, Pim said:

0-EB2-A3-B6-F04-B-4000-BBD8-70035575-CC4
If I had to mention the best post 1970 straight ahead jazz session it would probably be this one…. On hideous silver vinyl ik the new Timeless reissue series. Sounds great btw

The Art Blakey double LP that they have just reissued is in equally hideous purple vinyl but sounds good too.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

The Art Blakey double LP that they have just reissued is in equally hideous purple vinyl but sounds good too.

I think it’s a great series that tend to get overlooked a little. They are going to reissue the Waldron/Wilen date as well :wub:

18 minutes ago, Pim said:

I think it’s a great series that tend to get overlooked a little. 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Gents - Who's doing these Timeless reissues?  Music on Vinyl?

19 minutes ago, Pim said:

I think it’s a great series that tend to get overlooked a little. They are going to reissue the Waldron/Wilen date as well :wub:

Tempted to get that ‘Eastern Rebellion’ as the copy I have (bought in the 70s) is on Muse (Vols 2 onwards I have on Timeless). The Muse, I have to admit, sounds pretty good.

1 minute ago, HutchFan said:

Gents - Who's doing these Timeless reissues?  Music on Vinyl?

My Blakey says ‘Tidalwaves Music’ in cooperation with ‘Timeless Jazz’ (whatever that means :D). It was an RSD issue.

35 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Gotcha.  Thanks.

Found something here: https://www.tidalwavesmusic.com/catalog

Interesting. Quite a few of those including the Calvin Keys and the first Blakey seem to have also been RSD issues. The John Hicks too - although I can’t say I ever saw that one for sale or in the racks.