Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Interesting looking list of musicians. Would you recommend it?

First listen in years, inspired by your Jazz I Sverige thread.  It's a lot better than I remember it, worth a listen definitely.

it's quite beefy in parts, a bit like the early Garbarek Quartet ECMs which isn't much of a surprise.

If it were reissued today Stranger Than Paradise would have it in the 'Spiritual Jazz' (which it isn't) section and rave about it...

I've been mulling a major sifting of the LP collection and had this in mind as a "to sell", not now

Edited by mjazzg

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

First listen in years, inspired by your Jazz I Sverige thread.  It's a lot better than I remember it, worth a listen definitely.

it's quite beefy in parts, a bit like the early Garbarek Quartet ECMs which isn't much of a surprise.

I've been mulling a major sifting of the LP collection and had this in mind as a "to sell", not now

Thanks. I'll check it out at least. Stenson with beef sounds compelling enough to at least try.

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

If it were reissued today Stranger Than Paradise would have it in the 'Spiritual Jazz' (which it isn't) section and rave about it...

They'd put Wham in 'Spiritual Jazz'.

1 hour ago, Jon King said:

Re: Red Mitchell album you spun

What a tantalizing example of the era of “real” jazz.  I plan to try and find it soon. 
JK

West Coast jazz is my main direction and the Contemporary label  an important part of my collection.

These are my Red Mitchell albums under his name as leader. But he is a very important musician in the complete West Coast scene and can be found on many Items.

Mitchell,Red The Red Mitchell Quartet         1957  Contemporary          7538

CD      Mitchell,Red Presenting Red Mitchell CD 01  1957  The Intense Media 600167

Mitchell,Red Rejoice!       1961   Pacific Jazz 22

Mitchell,Red Hear Ye!!! Hear Ye!!!        1962  Atlantic(jap)          1376

Mitchell,Red Communication(live)        1979  Paddle Wheel(jap)          6056

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk (Blue Note/Disc Union). I ordered this from a Japanese seller after the word came out that the recent reissue in the Classic Vinyl series is cut too hot. I paid too much for this, but it's my favorite Donaldson date and I didn't have another version on vinyl. This sounds pretty great.

Primary

On 7/6/2022 at 3:10 PM, Jon King said:

Re: Red Mitchell album you spun

What a tantalizing example of the era of “real” jazz.  I plan to try and find it soon. 
JK

excellent record that I haven't dug out in years -- actually had forgotten about the kitty on the cover, which is strange because I am rather cat-obsessed!