What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

lp-gerald-wilson-moment-of-truth-blue-no

Tone Poet

Love that Gerald Wilson album cover.  ^  Great photo & simple-but-effective design. 

The only downside of having GW's Mosaic set is that I don't have those original album covers!  ;) 

I'm now listening to Mr. 5 x 5:

Ni03MTk0LmpwZWc.jpeg

The Jazz Odyssey of James Rushing Esq. with Buck Clayton and His Orchestra (Columbia, 1957)

:wub:

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More Pee Wee:

NS0xMjU0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Various Artists - Jam Session in Swingville featuring Coleman Hawkins and Pee Wee Russell (Prestige, 1975)

Personnel on Sides 3 & 4: Pee Wee Russell (cl); Al Sears (ts, arr); Buddy Tate (ts, cl); Vic Dickenson (tb); Danny Barker (g); Cliff Jackson (p); Joe Benjamin (b); J.C. Heard (d) / recorded on May 19, 1961

Edited by HutchFan

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

More Pee Wee:

NS0xMjU0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Various Artists - Jam Session in Swingville featuring Coleman Hawkins and Pee Wee Russell (Prestige, 1975)

Personnel on Sides 3 & 4: Pee Wee Russell (cl); Al Sears (ts, arr); Buddy Tate (ts, cl); Vic Dickenson (tb); Danny Barker (g); Cliff Jackson (p); Joe Benjamin (b); J.C. Heard (d) / recorded on May 19, 1961

Got that one somewhere - must dig out.

Erich-Kleinschuster-6tet-Vol-1-2-3-Set-F

Kicking off several weeks hol with a back-to-back session of this set. Then I get to retire and free up even more listening time. :)

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Love that Gerald Wilson album cover.  ^  Great photo & simple-but-effective design. 

The only downside of having GW's Mosaic set is that I don't have those original album covers!  ;) 

I agree. Wish the Hoffman lot wouldn’t keep on referring to it as the ‘Wolfman’ cover though. No respect ! :rolleyes:

The Mosaic box is great, one I crack open on a regular basis. It is good that Gerald was still around when it was issued.

Edited by sidewinder

Now the first LP from this set:

NS0xMjU0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Personnel on Sides 1 & 2: Coleman Hawkins (ts); Hilton Jefferson (as); Jimmy Hamilton (cl, arr); Joe Newman (tr); J.C. Higginbotham (tb); Tiny Grimes (g); Claude Hopkins (p); Wendell Marshall (b); Bill English (d) / recorded on April 14, 1961

Quite the clarinet contrast going from Pee Wee Russell to Jimmy Hamilton.  They're as different as could be -- but I love them both.  :) 

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Rashied Ali/Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange, Complete Sessions [Survival Records, 2020]

Great stuff :wub: when they released this one I had the idea there was way much more to come from the archives. But to my knowing there have been only two releases so far.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Great stuff :wub: when they released this one I had the idea there was way much more to come from the archives. But to my knowing there have been only two releases so far.

Yes I was thinking the same when listening to it.

Primary

Yusef Lateef - Into Something [New Jazz, mono]

On 30/08/2022 at 8:22 AM, sidewinder said:

Kicking off several weeks hol with a back-to-back session of this set. Then I get to retire and free up even more listening time. :)

I agree. Wish the Hoffman lot wouldn’t keep on referring to it as the ‘Wolfman’ cover though. No respect ! :rolleyes:

The Mosaic box is great, one I crack open on a regular basis. It is good that Gerald was still around when it was issued.

Best wishes for the retirement. I jumped ship last year and haven’t looked back. 

regards 

Anthony

London

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Rashied Ali/Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange, Complete Sessions [Survival Records, 2020]

What a record, absolutely stunning. Also, a great way of testing out your vinyl set up.

anthony

london

4 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Best wishes for the retirement. I jumped ship last year and haven’t looked back.

Thank you !  Been touring various stately homes/gardens and sampling the National  Trust cafes over the past few days - theres a whole alternative non-work universe out there of people having a lovely time. So far, agreeing with me big time !:)

Edited by sidewinder

On 30.8.2022 at 9:22 AM, sidewinder said:

Erich Kleinschuster. A great personality of jazz back then, and a helluva trombonist. 

But I also remember when he left the hall during Miles Davis´ concert at Stadthalle here in Viena around the mid 70´s (I think there is a "bootleg" CD from the event, similar program like "Dark Magus") , he and his gang, and talkin negative about Miles (well, that´s a question of taste, ok until here), but one week later he started to try "jazz rock" in the clubs, replacing the bass fiddle with a fenderbass, and the piano with a fender rhodes , first dissin´ Miles and than try "rock" , 

On 31.8.2022 at 11:43 PM, Rabshakeh said:

How is this one?

Re Bill Smith / Jim Hall

I like it very much.

Bill Smith (William O Smith)  was IMO member of the Brubeck Octet on Fantasy.

He plays clarinet on this album.

Jim Hall is always good. Monty Budwig on bass & Shelly Manne on drums

rec. 1959 at Contemporarys. Engineer: Roy DuNann! Cant be better  in sound quality

Edited by jazzcorner