Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Getz cover 

I’d go with Columbia (yawn) all the way.  Usually linear heading, with cursory photo:   JJ, Sonny, Paul Winter, Dylan, Monk, Davis, Brubeck, Herman, Goodman, Marsalis, Dirty Dozen. Armstrong, Fitzgerald, Holiday.  JK

Edited by Jon King
Misspelling

Today's been a good day on the turntable

Primary

Pharoah Sanders - Thembi [Impulse, France 1971]

Primary

Pharoah Sanders - Karma [ABC/Impulse, 1969]

Primary

Pharoah Sanders - Tauhid {ABC/Impulse, 1968 RE]

Primary

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die [City Slang, UK 1996]

Primary

Jeff Parker/Rob Mazurek - Some Jellyfish Live Forever [Rogue Art, France 2015]

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Dave Holland Quintet - Seeds Of Time [WB/ECM US, 1985]

this was a fine band. Kenny Wheeler to full effect

Love this record.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Pharoah Sanders - Tauhid {ABC/Impulse, 1968 RE]

How does yours sound? I've had two copies on vinyl and I've always been disappointed at how buried Sharrock is in the vinyl mix.

23 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Love this record.

How does yours sound? I've had two copies on vinyl and I've always been disappointed at how buried Sharrock is in the vinyl mix.

Funny you should say that as when I listened I noticed Sharrock at some point and thought "Oh yes, he's on this".  I didn't enjoy it as much as either 'Karma' or 'Thembi' but that may not have been about the sound.  I'll have another listen over the next few days.

27 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Love this record.

I haven't listened to it in years and I'm really taken by it, the writing and playing and interaction of the horns. Given the year, I probably bought it because of Coleman/

49 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Funny you should say that as when I listened I noticed Sharrock at some point and thought "Oh yes, he's on this".  I didn't enjoy it as much as either 'Karma' or 'Thembi' but that may not have been about the sound.  I'll have another listen over the next few days.

Can I recommend trying it streamed or on CD (whichever is available, but not YouTube)? I think that the CD mix is far better. Sharrock is very noticeable but he's really turned down on any vinyl version I've heard. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Can I recommend trying it streamed or on CD (whichever is available, but not YouTube)? I think that the CD mix is far better. Sharrock is very noticeable but he's really turned down on any vinyl version I've heard. 

I'll have a go at that later, I may even have the cd kicking about somewhere 

Now spinning - One of the few LPs that is being reissued by Blue Note that I never bought before (CD or LP) - Ruben Wilson's "Love Bug". Typical funk record of the time. Not a bad thing, but it is what I expected it to be and is the reason I never bought it before. I find these dates to have a bit of sameness to them.

Primary

Edited by bresna

Johnny Lytle "Fast Hands" (Muse). I bought this during a recent sale of new old stock LPs at Tommy's Jazz. You take chance with sealed old records and this is one where I get duffed a bit. A bit of the label fell off and the vinyl is pretty noisy in spots. The music is pretty good but they miss on a few tracks ("Tomorrow"? "Bein' Green"? Really?) and I'm not a huge fan of the sound, particularly the bass.

Primary

The more I look at this vinyl, I'm thinking this is an old re-seal. I say old because the cellophane was brittle but re-seal because this record just doesn't look un-played.

Edited by bresna

Sonny Clark - Dial "S" For Sonny (Blue Note). New release in the  Classic Vinyl series. I wasn't planning to pick this up, but I got it for around $12 so I thought, "Why not?" The cover of this LP looks terrible. It's all washed out and looks more like something a bootlegger would put out.

Classic cover from discogs:

Secondary, 2 of 6

Original LP cover from discogs:

Primary

22 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die [City Slang, UK 1996]

Saw them many, many times including their initial tour for this record in 1996 with The Sea & Cake and 5ive Style. Re-listened to it recently and decided not to keep the LP; I still have the first proper LP (original pressing) and a couple of early 7"s and that's enough for me. They were always excellent live.

Edited by clifford_thornton
spelling

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Johnny Lytle "Fast Hands" (Muse). I bought this during a recent sale of new old stock LPs at Tommy's Jazz. You take chance with sealed old records and this is one where I get duffed a bit. A bit of the label fell off and the vinyl is pretty noisy in spots. The music is pretty good but they miss on a few tracks ("Tomorrow"? "Bein' Green"? Really?) and I'm not a huge fan of the sound, particularly the bass.

Primary

The more I look at this vinyl, I'm thinking this is an old re-seal. I say old because the cellophane was brittle but re-seal because this record just doesn't look un-played.

Is Mickey Tucker on piano, organ, or both?

31 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Saw them many, many times including their initial tour for this record in 1996 with The Sea & Cake and 5ive Style. Re-listened to it recently and decided not to keep the LP; I still have the first proper LP (original pressing) and a couple of early 7"s and that's enough for me. They were always excellent live.

'Millions...' was the first album I remember hearing so has a special place. I saw them as many times as I could when they visited London, double header with Stereolab a highlight, last time was the 'Beacons Of Ancestorship' tour I suspect.

Always excellent, as you say.

Only seen The Sea&Cake once but that was great

Edited by mjazzg

7 hours ago, bresna said:

Now spinning - One of the few LPs that is being reissued by Blue Note that I never bought before (CD or LP) - Ruben Wilson's "Love Bug". Typical funk record of the time. Not a bad thing, but it is what I expected it to be and is the reason I never bought it before. I find these dates to have a bit of sameness to them.

Primary

See the source image

You could say it's pretty similar to this album, which also features Leo/Idris & Lee Morgan in the same horns/organ/guitar/drums format with hits of the day.  But it's no more samey to me than any number of hard bop dates with standards and tunes borrowed from bird 'n Diz.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, in either case.  And while I own and enjoy both albums, I think they both did better (and worse) elsewhere.

Primary

John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays The Blues [London Atlantic, mono UK 1962]

Primary

The John Coltrane Quartet - The John Coltrane Quartet Plays [His Master's Voice, mono UK 1965]

Primary

The John Coltrane Quartet - Crescent [Hi Master's Voice, stereo UK 1964]

Some days when everything feels just too much there's only one musical balm to reach for

Edited by mjazzg