• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CDs weren't even a product when those Trip LPs came out. Trip LPs gave you a good 10 or more years of lead time to listen to those great records.

Don't feel bad about missing the Mosaic....more than half of my current Mosaic holdings were bought on the after-market. I too was having to put money into the family and missed a LOT of the good stuff. But time has been good (enough) to me and my patience has been rewarded.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Sure, I get that.  I'd probably get rid of the Trip LP if I had the music on CD.  But I don't.

Back when the Mosaic set came out, I was raising my family and didn't have two nickels to rub together!  ;)

I don't have the Mosaic box. I bought the expanded (10 tracks) CD years before that Mosaic box was released. It's got Mobley on it. How could I resist?

Max Roach - Max Roach 4 Plays Charlie Parker (w/Dorham, Mobley) -  Amazon.com Music

I see that it was produced by Bob Shad. I wonder if R. Ellen wrote all the music? :) :)

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

I don't have the Mosaic box. I bought the expanded (10 tracks) CD years before that Mosaic box was released. It's got Mobley on it. How could I resist?

Max Roach - Max Roach 4 Plays Charlie Parker (w/Dorham, Mobley) -  Amazon.com Music

Gotcha. :tup  Another item for the AQ upgrade list, perhaps. 

Along with Max, the biggest draw (for me) is Dorham.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The pianoless format is what really made it unique for me.

Heck, in the 70’s, Trips we’re better than many trips for that matter.  This pecking order is marketing - like hot plates in trucks from the factory. IMO

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

People scoff at Trip today, but at the time, they were a godsend! 

Re: pianoless format 

who began that format Gerry Mulligan w/ Chet Baker (or Bob Brookmeyer, ‘54)

Or Max Roach?

19 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my turntable:

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Cheapo Trip LP reissue 

:tup:D Have it on Mercury

Excellent LP

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

CDs weren't even a product when those Trip LPs came out. Trip LPs gave you a good 10 or more years of lead time to listen to those great records.

Don't feel bad about missing the Mosaic....more than half of my current Mosaic holdings were bought on the after-market. I too was having to put money into the family and missed a LOT of the good stuff. But time has been good (enough) to me and my patience has been rewarded.

Yes thats the reason I have some TRIP vinyls and keep them and also the other reasons you did mention were important here too!! The pressing quality was ok for me at that time and the music on todays CD reissues is the same. ;-]]

On 22.10.2022 at 2:33 PM, Pim said:

Oh yes it is :) I think I am almost halfway now. They were all records I already had on cd but still wanted them on vinyl as that is now my format of preference. I want to have my 4,5 and 5 star albums on vinyl so that’s why one seller had so many of my wantlist probably as they are mostly classic albums. This was the haul:

FDFFABB5-A55-D-4-C24-B674-5858-B5-D74514

F9920-BEF-FF46-4-E8-E-AB7-E-2-DFC01-C45-

215-B896-A-69-B9-42-AD-850-C-CCAC7-BD587

Interesting that you went back the road from CD to vinyl. From all your vinyls displayed here I count 19 in my own vinyl collection. The Cliff Jordan is missing and I will try to get this one.

Edited by jazzcorner

1 hour ago, Jon King said:

Re: pianoless format 

who began that format Gerry Mulligan w/ Chet Baker (or Bob Brookmeyer, ‘54)

Or Max Roach?

There were people doing it pre-bop, at least on record dates. For "modern" jazz, though, Mulligan was the first such group that got attention called to itself.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this a comp?

Yes.

IIRC, it compiles cuts from these three Alegre albums: El Gigante Del Teclado (1972), Vuelve El Gigante (1973), and Adelante, Gigante (1975).

I don't have any of those individual albums (yet).  Found the comp for a pittance and jumped on it.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

The pianoless format is what really made it unique for me.

I love that too.  So much air in the music without the piano -- so the rhythm jumps to the foreground (with Max's group).

Edited by HutchFan

Yesterday and again now:

61BB1TqJKnL._SY580_.jpg

Egberto Gismonti & Academia De Danças - Sanfona (ECM, 1981)

LP 1 with: 
- Piano, Guitar, Organ [Indian], Voice – Egberto Gismonti
- Soprano Saxophone, Alto Saxophone, Flute – Mauro Senise 
- Bass – Zeca Assumpção 
- Drums, Percussion – Nenê 

Tremendous. 

I'm hit-or-miss with Gismonti's music, but I admire his eclecticism & the way he takes his music off the beaten path.  Like his fellow countrymen Hermeto Pascoal and Milton Nascimento, he's making a stew that doesn't sound like anyone else's.

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

George Russell's New York Band - Live in an American Time Spiral (Soul Note, rec. 1982)

An excellent record, both heady and funky. It reminds me of Gil Evans' albums 80's recordings from Sweet Basil.  Very convincing and still evolving.

In fact, Live in an American Time Spiral might be Russell's best album (?) after his classics from the late-50s and early-60s. ... I suppose I could put Vertical Form VI (Soul Note, rec. 1977) near the top too.  But the Swedish Radio Jazz Orchestra on Vertical isn't quite as convincing as the New York band.  Players like Brian Lynch, Tom Harrell, Ray Anderson, Marty Ehrlich, Jerome Harris, Ron McClure, and (especially) Victor Lewis elevate Time Spiral. ... The group on Russell's Blue Notes from the mid-80s -- The African Game and So What -- isn't as distinctive or loaded as the Time Spiral band either, IMO.

I'd be interested to hear other listeners' thoughts on recordings from Russell's later years. What say you?!? 

I find enough interest in Russell's Soul Note records to have bought the box, and without regret.

As far as this band goes, the earlier released New York Big Band is a real treat, imo, circling back on some earlier pieces played in new(ish) ways.

I also don't listen to George Russell albums the same way I do a lot of other "jazz" albums, simply because yes, he was totally "jazz", but he also had his own aims, his own concerns that were his and his alone. So that's what I give him, because lord knows he proved himself more than worthy of getting it.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I also don't listen to George Russell albums the same way I do a lot of other "jazz" albums, simply because yes, he was totally "jazz", but he also had his own aims, his own concerns that were his and his alone. So that's what I give him, because lord knows he proved himself more than worthy of getting it.

Agree 100%.  Russell has his own bag.

I'll give New York Big Band a close listen.  I've heard it once or twice, but I don't know it.  :tup 

Yeah, my first reaction was that the newer versions were looser (not in a good way) and maybe lacked a certain urgency. But that impression didn't last, it evolved.

Nobody plays like old people except old people, especially in matters of section playing. Basie's bands proved that, as did Ellington's, in the other direction.

Big bands are tricky that way.