What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

41 minutes ago, Pim said:

35-F66586-B594-4-FD3-9373-8-D91294-BCD58

When I got this one I found out the CD contained extra tracks…. Would have gotten the cd if I knew before purchasing. 

Yeah, that’s why I got the 2CD version. Nice release though !

Looking at the recording date I actually saw Shaw with Quintet within days of that recording date. Same North European tour, presumably for Wim Wigt.

NS0yMjUwLmpwZWc.jpeg

French Milestone 2LP - Prime McCoy.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yeah, that’s why I got the 2CD version. Nice release though !

Looking at the recording date I actually saw Shaw with Quintet within days of that recording date. Same North European tour, presumably for Wim Wigt.

NS0yMjUwLmpwZWc.jpeg

French Milestone 2LP - Prime McCoy.

Must have been a great concert!

21 minutes ago, Pim said:

Must have been a great concert!

Yeah, it was the Quintet with Steve Turre and Mulgrew Miller. It was so good that I went back for a second night. Remember sharing a table with a couple of guys who had flown into London from Holland especially to see this Shaw group, such was his reputation.

OC00NTkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

UK Columbia, mono. With a young Kenny Wheeler on trumpet/mellophone.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, Pim said:

35-F66586-B594-4-FD3-9373-8-D91294-BCD58

When I got this one I found out the CD contained extra tracks…. Would have gotten the cd if I knew before purchasing. 

I saw them live, it must have been early 1983. In Vienna it was the complete quintet with Steve Turree.

That band with Turré , Miller, James, Reedus was one of the best steady working bands of the early 80s. I think it lasted quite long but I don´t know when it disbanded. 

In my case it was only one set, since it was a Summit Concert titled "Bebop Supernight" and the first set was Johnny Griffin, the second Woody Shaw and the third a very disappointing Dexter Gordon, who let the trio play some numbers and came in late, it was embarrassing, even more since it was advertised that Griffin-Woody-Dexter would continue as an All Star Bonus.....didn´t happen...

@sidewinder : Yes it must have been the same schedule, Early 1983. Strange that in Bremen Steve Turré was not present....

Edited by Gheorghe

49 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

@sidewinder : Yes it must have been the same schedule, Early 1983. Strange that in Bremen Steve Turré was not present....

Yes, they were featuring tracks from the recent Enja album ‘Lotus Flower’ as I recall it. Certainly remember the title track of that one plus ‘Katerina Ballerina’ and ‘The Organ Grinder’ during their sets. Also recall a nice brass duet version of ‘All The Things You Are’ which they opened a set with. Band with Shaw was Turre, Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus. I guess Steve Turre must have been unwell when they played Bremen - he was in good form in London.

Edited to say that I think the London gig was in early to mid Feb 1983. What I do remember is that it was damn cold !

Edited by sidewinder

On 10/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

scratched off a big one on my want-list on the way, brubecks last vinyl release he does Shine on Harvest Moon which is what my Jan. 1950 acetate is

Secondary, 4 of 4

Guess I never paid any attention to later Brubeck -- Randy Jones is a name I hadn't associated with the pianist. The others I know.

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Guess I never paid any attention to later Brubeck -- Randy Jones is a name I hadn't associated with the pianist. The others I know.

is that who i was seeing him with, w/ , Bobby Millitello?

you guys know im the first to upgrade to cd a lot but i collected all the brubeck concords on vinyl, even though concord can be a good CD label.....i actually dont have any Brubeck offical on CD at all right now.   theres no pic of it i can find but it should look something like this cd cover- 1994- this ***HAS*** to be it this is brubecks last vinyl new album release.  - i was mentioning concord this is not concord- this is on Jazz Heritage- Brubeck actually had a deal w/ them theyre not lifted from another label)

SDave Brubeck, Chris Brubeck, Danny Brubeck – Trio Brubeck (1994, CD) -  Discogs

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

is that who i was seeing him with, w/ , Bobby Millitello?

you guys know im the first to upgrade to cd a lot but i collected all the brubeck concords on vinyl, even though concord can be a good CD label.....i actually dont have any Brubeck offical on CD at all right now.   theres no pic of it i can find but it should look something like this cd cover- 1994- this ***HAS*** to be it this is brubecks last vinyl new album release.  - i was mentioning concord this is not concord- this is on Jazz Heritage- Brubeck actually had a deal w/ them theyre not lifted from another label)

SDave Brubeck, Chris Brubeck, Danny Brubeck – Trio Brubeck (1994, CD) -  Discogs

I am pretty sure that all Jazz Heritage (Society) releases are licensed from other labels. These Brubeck releases are licensed from MusicMasters. They were budget releases available mail order to JHS members. They usually convert the LP/CD cover to black & white to differentiate them from the original.

18 hours ago, Pim said:

Thanks for sharing guys. I wasn’t even born back than so always great hearing such stories!

You welcome: 

In the case of Woody Shaw, he was THE trumpet voice of my late teens to the mid twens. He was on the cover photo of DB and featured with a long interview and I swear I didn´t know about his drug problems. From the music, his very very intellectual side and the cover photos of him with his father and his baby son he looked like a healthy, successful man at the peak of his power. I didn´t even now about his problems about loosing sight. 
So I was quite astonished, when in 1987 he was booked into a local club and not a concert hall, as single artist with a local picked up rhythm section. I was early and he sat at the bar and drunk numerous little bottles of "Jaegermeister", a digestive alcoolic drink. I couldn´t count them. 
When the set started, he was led on stage, where he threw his cigarette end on the stage which he did during the whole set. The playing was mediocre and quite uninspired compared with what I had heard live or on records a few years earlier. It was an embarrassing evening and hard to listen to or to look at Woody. I think he died shortly after that, and like in case of Chet Baker, it was under most tragic and misterious circumstances. Shortly before he left Europe and went back to the States, there was an announce in the german Jazzmagazine "Jazzpodium" that a bank account in Elvetia was opened for donations for the seriously sick Woody Shaw, who was unable to play......This was only a short time after that sad gig in 1987 in Viena.

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

MusicMasters IS jazz heritage society though im pretty sure its the same company 

Ok then... this brings up the obvious question as to why they felt the need to cheapen the look of their Jazz Heritage releases so dramatically. They owned the MuiscMasters material so why not just release it using a different label for your music club members?

I always thought those black & white Blue Note covers looked like bootlegs. This look dramatically reduced their resale value too. I don't think I've ever paid more than a few bucks for any used Jazz Heritage CD. Doesn't this look like a bootleg? :)

Primary

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

You welcome: 

In the case of Woody Shaw, he was THE trumpet voice of my late teens to the mid twens. He was on the cover photo of DB and featured with a long interview and I swear I didn´t know about his drug problems. From the music, his very very intellectual side and the cover photos of him with his father and his baby son he looked like a healthy, successful man at the peak of his power. I didn´t even now about his problems about loosing sight. 
So I was quite astonished, when in 1987 he was booked into a local club and not a concert hall, as single artist with a local picked up rhythm section. I was early and he sat at the bar and drunk numerous little bottles of "Jaegermeister", a digestive alcoolic drink. I couldn´t count them. 
When the set started, he was led on stage, where he threw his cigarette end on the stage which he did during the whole set. The playing was mediocre and quite uninspired compared with what I had heard live or on records a few years earlier. It was an embarrassing evening and hard to listen to or to look at Woody. I think he died shortly after that, and like in case of Chet Baker, it was under most tragic and misterious circumstances. Shortly before he left Europe and went back to the States, there was an announce in the german Jazzmagazine "Jazzpodium" that a bank account in Elvetia was opened for donations for the seriously sick Woody Shaw, who was unable to play......This was only a short time after that sad gig in 1987 in Viena.

Must say I was surprised to when I first heard he had so many issues with drugs and alcohol. You just don’t get that impression looking at him or listening to him. 
Not a great taste either yuk Jagermeister…. 
sad what these substances could do with such great people.