Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I think this one is very under-rated, have often seen it get lukewarm reviews. I would give it 4 or 5 stars. The NY pressing sounds great too - definitely no need for a Tone Poet (already scarce anyway).

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

NY USA mono.

This album has a nice flow ....

Edited by soulpope

[IMG] 
Spinning now. I assume a digital cut as the master tapes were lost in the Universal fire? Sound fine to me anyway. Nice flat copy without any clicks or ticks :) happy with it and looking forward to the Jamal and Pharoah Sanders record. 
Paper sleeve alert…

19 hours ago, Pim said:
[IMG] 
Spinning now. I assume a digital cut as the master tapes were lost in the Universal fire? Sound fine to me anyway. Nice flat copy without any clicks or ticks :) happy with it and looking forward to the Jamal and Pharoah Sanders record. 
Paper sleeve alert…

That's the very recent reissue I'm guessing? I may get one

I have an original pressing that has a scratch on the final track for about 10 revs, not sure I could cope with not hearing them 🙃

38 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That's the very recent reissue I'm guessing? I may get one

I have an original pressing that has a scratch on the final track for about 10 revs, not sure I could cope with not hearing them 🙃

Yeah it's the recent release without the ugly yellow artwork ;)

On 11/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, Pim said:

[IMG] 
now that’s one ugly piece of vinyl! This is Chet at his sweetest and most sentimental. I could see why it’s a little too much for some folks. I nevertheless like it very much though.

I became aware of Chet Baker as late as 1978 when there was a long interview with him at "Jazz Podium". 

It seems that his name was not quite mentioned until then by the kind of gang or fellow musicians I had, or the a bit older mentors. It is possible, that his early stuff was better known by listeners of a kind of softer way of jazz. 

The strange thing he stated in that interview was that "he came to Europe with Methadone and took it , then less and less until he didn´t need it anymore". But this cannot be true, because Chet was a bad junkie until the end. 

But one thing: He started to appear at festivals and us, who hadn´t heard about him before, liked it very much. Anyway what he did in his last 10 years was what we wanted to hear and it had very little in common with what was recorded in the 50´s .

On 11/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, sidewinder said:

I think this one is very under-rated, have often seen it get lukewarm reviews. I would give it 4 or 5 stars. The NY pressing sounds great too - definitely no need for a Tone Poet (already scarce anyway).

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

NY USA mono.

I like it very much. And Charlie Rouse here, fantastic, and it could be anything, it still sounded "Monkish", wonderful.

Once I spinned it and a young girl said she likes it very much, which was astonishing since otherwise she didn´t dig jazz. Yeah, it has something, but it seemed it didn´t sell well when it came out, since I didn´t see another BN record with Rouse as a leader. 

Yes, I like the Rouse Blue Note too. He adapts well into the bossa style and the Latin percussion sets up a good groove too. Other than the copy I have I don’t think I ever saw it on original vinyl and I suspect it wasn’t reissued much other than in Japan. It came out of course on CD as part of the Conn series (I think I have a Toshiba from Mr Tanno somewhere). Wouldn’t be surprised to see it on the list for a future Classic or TP.

On 11/13/2022 at 12:52 PM, jazzcorner said:

44692610cz.jpg

I have that pressing too - the only version I have of it in stereo. If I recall rightly, the master tapes of that Bill Potts album were lost, as the Capitol CD was dubbed (came out in ‘collectors choice’ I think).

Edited by sidewinder

This is a quartet of some of the very best musicians of that time early 80´s her in Europe. 
Allan Praskin (as) lives in Europe. John Thomas (g) stayed in Europe for a shorter period, Adelhard Roiding (b) is one of our best bass players, and Lala Kovatchev was a fantastic drummer from  Yugoslavia. 

All tunes are originals by the band members. 

The title tune is a wonderful bop line based on the chords of "Cheek to Cheek". "Love Song" from the drummer is deeply influenced by old Serbian folk music, The last tune "It´s No One" of course is based on "It´s You or No One" and they really cook, but I would have wished it lasted longer, it´s only 2 minutes. 

Herunterladen.jpg