• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listened to them on one of my USB sticks I have in the car. 

The Art Pepper album is very fine, I think I got it as soon as it came out. Especially that they have such a great rhythm section helps very much and Art Pepper seems to be inspired. 

There is only one strange thing: His long solo intro to "Over the Rainbow". Somehow it´s strange with that pentatonic lines, not really fitting to the mood of the song if you ask me, and maybe it would be better as a solo cadenza at the end of the song, not at the start. 

The Jazz Messengers "Lerner & Lowe" is very fine, some of the tunes are rarely played in jazz context. 

The musician that exites me most is of course Johnny Griffin. 

Sam Dockery seems to be Bud Powell influenced, but wait a minute......it´s more Elmo Hope thing in it. 
Bill Hardman is a very nice and articulate player, very easy to regocnize , but maybe after much listening I miss some more dramatic effect in his trumpet playing. It just "flows" with not many tensions as leaving space here or there or gettin different sound or phrasing approach into it. Thats only my impression after very very intense listening. 

Herunterladen (1).jpg

Herunterladen (2).jpg

7-F25-D91-F-25-B3-440-C-B477-E83-D7-F547

Decided to buy this one as a placeholder till a new reissue of these would become available but it sounds so good I doubt I would buy a replacement…. So great to hear how good these lps from the seventies could sound. For 20 euros it really was a steal. 

51CYPrAvM-L._SX555_.jpg

Marlene VerPlanck Sings Alec Wilder (Audiophile, 1986)
with Loonis McGlohon (p), Rick Petrone (b), and Mel Lewis (d)

This album is a definite (if unlikely) favorite discovery of 2022.  It's really gotten under my skin.  I'm not sure how much improvising is happening.  In that regard, I suppose it's cabaret as much as it's jazz.  Then again, one of the pleasing aspects of Wilder's music is that it's nearly impossible to pigeonhole.  Regardless of category, I'm very taken with the songs and VerPlanck's clear-as-a-bell singing.

Anyone who grew up in the U.S. in the 60s and 70s has heard VerPlanck's voice.  Known as the "New York Jingle Queen," she sang for Campbells soup ("Mmm, mmm, good!"), Nationwide insurance ("Nationwide is on your side"), and Michelob beer ("Weekends were made for Michelob... Yeah"). 

Edited by HutchFan

Jackie McLean - Tippin' The Scales (Blue Note). This is the new Tone Poet LP and it does sound really good. But this is one of McLean's Blue Notes when he hits those sour notes every now & then. I am not as much of a fan of that sharp stuff but the band does cook. This LP also has the benefit of addition by subtraction. The CD has 3 alternates and they never did sound different enough to my ears to make them worthy of inclusion.

Primary

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Jackie McLean - Tippin' The Scales (Blue Note). This is the new Tone Poet LP and it does sound really good. But this is one of McLean's Blue Notes when he hits those sour notes every now & then. I am not as much of a fan of that sharp stuff but the band does cook. This LP also has the benefit of addition by subtraction. The CD has 3 alternates and they never did sound different enough to my ears to make them worthy of inclusion.

Primary

This is one that I have passed on. I have a Japanese and French DMM version of this title, the scale has completely tipped over for me !

11 hours ago, bresna said:

Primary

I have it on CD, but it doesn´t have the typical BN cover, somehow I picked it up at a little record store in a subway station, just by browsing thru the few jazz records. 

But I know much better McLean albums. From the "traditional side" maybe "Swing Swang Swining", but then above all "Let´s Freedom Ring", "One Step Beyond", "New and Old Gospel" and one more with Woody Shaw on it, it´s titled something like "Devil Dance" or "Dance of Death" with a strange woman face on the cover, but fantastic music. 

"Sharp Stuff". Well this is sure a question of taste. It´s what I love so much about Jackie McLean, his sound. He seems to be the alto sound I love to hear.