What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, I'm enjoying A Capella very much.  It took me a while to hear The Singers Unlimited -- but I think I've finally broken through. ... Your description of their music as a 'sound adventure' is very accurate, I think.  At times, there's something otherworldly -- you might even say uncanny -- about their music.  At first, I missed the nearly-surreal weirdness that's lurking just below the pretty surface.

Now playing:

Ni03MjIwLmpwZWc.jpeg

One of my favorite "new-to-me" discoveries of this year.  

Thanks to a library sale several years ago, I have three well-filled CDs worth (5,6,7) of the pricey 7-CD "Magic Voices" set. Wish I had more, Farnon's writing on the "Eventide" album is out of sight.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sentimental Journey may be even better. 

This is drug music only better.

Wait! I've also got CDs 3&4 from the "Magic Voices" set, which means that I've got "Sentimental Journey" (it's on CD3), though IIRC the one that really knocked me out from that CD was "The More I See You" --a song that was virtually made for TSU and Puerling to interpret.

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Thanks to a library sale several years ago, I have three well-filled CDs worth (5,6,7) of the pricey 7-CD "Magic Voices" set. Wish I had more, Farnon's writing on the "Eventide" album is out of sight.

You hit pay-dirt.  Those sorts of "potluck" sales are fun.  Never know what you're going to find.  Sometimes nothing.  Sometimes really good stuff.

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, I'm enjoying A Capella very much.  It took me a while to hear The Singers Unlimited -- but I think I've finally broken through. ... Your description of their music as a 'sound adventure' is very accurate, I think.  At times, there's something otherworldly -- you might even say uncanny -- about their music.  At first, I missed the nearly-surreal weirdness that's lurking just below the pretty surface.

Now playing:

Ni03MjIwLmpwZWc.jpeg

One of my favorite "new-to-me" discoveries of this year.  

Ah yes this one is new to me as Bill Perkins fan - just on top now  of my wantlist. Have to check Discogs .

Thanks

10 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Wait! I've also got CDs 3&4 from the "Magic Voices" set, which means that I've got "Sentimental Journey" (it's on CD3), though IIRC the one that really knocked me out from that CD was "The More I See You" --a song that was virtually made for TSU and Puerling to interpret.

FYI There exists also an US compilation  on PAUSA out of all these MPS originals:

44756483uv.jpg

44756484yz.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
text

[IMG] 
Back to Black so that’s a hit or miss. This one is pretty good especially considering the 15 euro price. The music is just awesome. What a group.

This one could have easily been selected for the Acoustic Sounds series if the series wasn’t run by someone who wants to release music ‘he digs and gets’ only.

16 hours ago, Pim said:

190397-A0-50-A1-4522-B988-18-D361-C260-B

What´s the title of this album ? I never saw it. Was it for Timeless ? 

15 hours ago, Pim said:
[IMG] 
Back to Black so that’s a hit or miss. This one is pretty good especially considering the 15 euro price. The music is just awesome. What a group.

This one could have easily been selected for the Acoustic Sounds series if the series wasn’t run by someone who wants to release music ‘he digs and gets’ only.

I regret I didn´t see the Liberation Music Orchestra when they played in Hollabrunn near Vienna in 1985. It was a 3 days festival and due to other commitments I had to cut out sunday, the third and last day, so I missed the only occasions to see a late version of the "Modern Jazz Quartet", and the "Liberation"....

14 hours ago, Pim said:

DCB174-C1-8733-403-D-85-C8-8-E3-AC92317-

I love it and bought it when I was 18. Such a great session with Griff + Davis´ musicians....
Around that time some older guy acquainted me with the music of Wes and I bought some of his albums, among them this one which is the most interesting....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

What´s the title of this album ? I never saw it. Was it for Timeless ? 

I regret I didn´t see the Liberation Music Orchestra when they played in Hollabrunn near Vienna in 1985. It was a 3 days festival and due to other commitments I had to cut out sunday, the third and last day, so I missed the only occasions to see a late version of the "Modern Jazz Quartet", and the "Liberation"....

I love it and bought it when I was 18. Such a great session with Griff + Davis´ musicians....
Around that time some older guy acquainted me with the music of Wes and I bought some of his albums, among them this one which is the most interesting....

Like Soulpope said: Little Reds Fantasy on Muse records. ‘70’s recording and that was one hell of a decade in Shaws legacy. Highly recommend. The 32Jazz albumcovers were awful but have to say most of the Muse originals weren’t a thing of beauty either. 

LMO and MJQ are both groups I would have loved to see live. Very different kind of music but I like them both.

And yeah Grif + Wes is a fantastic combo. They really sound like some very, very cool jazzcats.

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Terumasa Hino Sextet - Fuji (Catalyst)
Recorded in March 1972; originally released on Japanese Victor

Terumasa Hino.... he sometimes played cornet or pocket trumpet, right ? Some influences of Don Cherry if I remember. I heard him with a Dave Liebman Allstar Group featuring Adam Nussbaum on drums, Ron McLure on bass, John Scofield on guitar. I think it was in the late 70´s. 

19 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Terumasa Hino Sextet - Fuji (Catalyst)
Recorded in March 1972; originally released on Japanese Victor

Excellent recording by an excellent trumpeter! I also enjoy A Part with Reggie Workman and Love Nature a lot. I long overlooked the whole Japanese jazz scene.

2 minutes ago, Pim said:

I long overlooked the whole Japanese jazz scene.

Me too.

I remember the first time I heard Terumasa Hino & his group with Mal Waldron on Reminiscent Suite.  I was BLOWN AWAY.  "Aside from Mal, everyone in this band is Japanese?!?!?"  It was VERY eye-opening.

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Terumasa Hino.... he sometimes played cornet or pocket trumpet, right ? Some influences of Don Cherry if I remember. I heard him with a Dave Liebman Allstar Group featuring Adam Nussbaum on drums, Ron McLure on bass, John Scofield on guitar. I think it was in the late 70´s. 

Yep, Terumasa Hino played with Liebman's group in the late-70s, just before he formed Quest.