What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Me too.

I remember the first time I heard Terumasa Hino & his group with Mal Waldron on Reminiscent Suite.  I was BLOWN AWAY.  "Aside from Mal, everyone in this band is Japanese?!?!?"  It was VERY eye-opening.

Agreed regarding japanese Jazz .... nevertheless "Reminiscent Suite" is one of this genre's peaks ....

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

NS0xODgxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Junior Cook - Pressure Cooker (Affinity; originally Catalyst, rec. 1977)
with Mickey Tucker (p); Cecil McBee or Juini Booth (b); Leroy Williams (d)

Those Affinity albums in the late 70´s, all with the same cover design. I think it was some live recordings, like I have George Coleman-Wynton Kelly at the "Left Bank" in Baltimore.....

On 11/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, HutchFan said:

Next up:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Terumasa Hino Sextet - Fuji (Catalyst)
Recorded in March 1972; originally released on Japanese Victor

Hino has seemed to disappear or retire since that unfortunate incident with his student back in 2017. I had always hoped to get a chance to see & hear him play. That looks unlikely now.

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

Mickey Tucker an rather unheralded pianist .... what a pity ....

Yes sir! I completely agree that Tucker deserves/deserved much more recognition.  He made some terrific albums (like Mister Mysterious), and his playing as a sideman usually elevated others' dates -- including that Junior Cook LP. :tup

Edited by HutchFan

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NS00MzY1LmpwZWc.jpeg

The first Quest album. 

Fantastic, I love Dave Liebman. When I was a teenager, Dave Liebman, after Johnny Griffin was the second great saxophonist I saw live and somehow, during that time it is not impossible I was even more impressed by what Dave had played. 

I think the Quest started around 1980, and I heard Lieb again shortly before he formed Quest, I think it was a pre-Quest formation with Terumaso Hino, John Scofield, Ron McLure and Adam Nussbaum, very fine. This could have been in the late seventies...... (the first occasion was the Lookout Farm stuff). 

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my turntable:

Satoh-Gomez-Chagall-Blue.png

Masahiko Satoh with Eddie Gomez - Chagall Blue (OpenSkye, 1980)

First listen.  It just arrived in the mail today.  :g

last night, during intermission I had a discussion with a bass player whom I praised for his strong bass sound. 

We discussed Eddie Gomez also, the thing that some bass players around 1980 had their strings very down to get a guitar like sound, which was not a pure bass sound.

Nowadays it seems bass players got back to their roots. The have strong hands and even if the bass speaker has a technical problem, you still hear ´em . Like Mingus said, you had to cut through a band, you had to have chops to produce a sound. 

Next up, prompted by another thread:

My0xNzYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Gene Ammons - Night Lights (Prestige)
with Wynton Kelly, George Duvivier, and Rudy Collins

Recorded in 1970 but not released until 1985, this top-shelf Jug session hasn't ever been reissued digitally in toto.  Three of the LP's six cuts are on the A Stranger in Town CD -- but the other three are only available in analog-land

So put the needle in the groove, baby!!!  :P 

Edited by HutchFan

11 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’ve seen a lot of these Time Life records in the used bins. Worth getting?

Absolutely.  They're excellent.  I've picked them up here and there over the years, and I've never regretted getting any of them.  The James P. Johnson and the Sidney Bechet sets are what I pull from the shelf most often.  But you really can't go wrong with any of them, imo.

Listening to more Jug.  These two are from '73:

My04NTY1LmpwZWc.jpeg

and

LTgwNjkuanBlZw.jpeg

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Absolutely.  They're excellent.  I've picked them up here and there over the years, and I've never regretted getting any of them.  The James P. Johnson and the Sidney Bechet sets are what I pull from the shelf most often.  But you really can't go wrong with any of them, imo.

Listening to more Jug.  These two are from '73:

My04NTY1LmpwZWc.jpeg

and

LTgwNjkuanBlZw.jpeg

Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Jon King said:

Here's a GA favorite of mine from 1973, also --   Haven't heard in years.  Planning to.

image.jpeg.999074ae2f4dafe0328878d472e9418a.jpeg  

I love to listen to it if I´m really exhausted and need some unpretencious swinging stuff. It´s nothing were you can learn very much from, but it swings and has a happy jam with Cannonball and Dex also.
The Rhythm section is funny, the bop veteran Klook with Hampton Haws on Fenderpiano and Bob Cranshaw on fenderbass. It annoyed a lot of acoustic purists, but it was part of the time, there were so much Fender-Rhodes and Fenderbass even for straight ahead jazz. Cranshaw played a lot of Fender with Rollins too, but IMHO he never was an electric bassist, he just played "acoustic" style on Fender. If I hear Fender I prefer musicians who really USE those instruments, not just play it as a replacement for an acoustic instrument. 

But good Idea, I´ll spin it eventually, only my time is scarce and I listen more to stuff I can "study" if I don´t play myself.....

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up, prompted by another thread:

My0xNzYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Gene Ammons - Night Lights (Prestige)
with Wynton Kelly, George Duvivier, and Rudy Collins

Recorded in 1970 but not released until 1985, this top-shelf Jug session hasn't ever been reissued digitally in toto.  Three of the LP's six cuts are on the A Stranger in Town CD -- but the other three are only available in analog-land

So put the needle in the groove, baby!!!  :P 

😍 ....