• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

blue-note-jones-elvin-revival-live-at-poFirst spin - a welcome release. 3LP set German pressing, mastered by Bernie Grundman. Yes, the piano tuning sucks but Elvin is captured really well, as is the occasion. An unexpected gem. The large format booklet is excellent too, with some great memories.

A time capsule - of Pookie’s in 1967 and Elvin at a key period of career/life transition.

Edited by sidewinder

On 12/11/2022 at 12:48 PM, Pim said:

96-F12962-8-F47-4-B3-E-8-DC3-EA855-C4491

One of the underrated tenors of the forties/fifties: Wardell Gray.

I love it and I think I first had heard it as a double LP. I´m not so happy with the two separate CD´s I have, since there are so many alternate takes of the same tune. I know, some are happy to have all alternate takes, but I prefer to hear the tunes one after the other. 
But the music is great. Al Haig is also really great here, especially on the ballads, and the 1953 stuff I think was some of the last recording of Gray. It has a stranger sound, especially due to Teddy Charles, who sounds very interesting on many of his 1950´s recordings. 

But the best Wardell Gray I ever heard is on the Parker LP "Happy Bird". His solo on "Scrapple" is incredible. 

On 12/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, Gheorghe said:

I love it and I think I first had heard it as a double LP. I´m not so happy with the two separate CD´s I have, since there are so many alternate takes of the same tune. I know, some are happy to have all alternate takes, but I prefer to hear the tunes one after the other. 
But the music is great. Al Haig is also really great here, especially on the ballads, and the 1953 stuff I think was some of the last recording of Gray. It has a stranger sound, especially due to Teddy Charles, who sounds very interesting on many of his 1950´s recordings. 

But the best Wardell Gray I ever heard is on the Parker LP "Happy Bird". His solo on "Scrapple" is incredible. 

Yeah I have the cd's to but also having trouble to dig trough all those alternates.... Gray was such a great saxophonist. And a tragic figure unfortunately. 

You know you've been buying too much new music when you find sealed records in your shelves that you don't even remember buying. Now playing one of them...

The Jazz Couriers - In Concert (Tempo/TAP 22). Ronnie Scott, Tubby Hayes, Terry Shannon, Phil Bates & Bill Eyden live at the Dominion Theatre in London Feb. 16, 1958.

Primary

So of course as I'm playing this brand new record for the first time, I hear this loud popping. I find a small scratch on Side 1. Very noticeable visually so I don't how their QC team missed it. Oh well, it's not like I can send it back for a replacement. :)

On 12/14/2022 at 8:08 AM, sidewinder said:

blue-note-jones-elvin-revival-live-at-poFirst spin - a welcome release. 3LP set German pressing, mastered by Bernie Grundman. Yes, the piano tuning sucks but Elvin is captured really well, as is the occasion. An unexpected gem. The large format booklet is excellent too, with some great memories.

A time capsule - of Pookie’s in 1967 and Elvin at a key period of career/life transition.

Excellent date. Anyone else notice some "crunch" in the pressing on "My Funny Valentine" ? 

4 minutes ago, bresna said:

Andrew Hill - Dance With Death (Blue Note LT-1030). This sounds fine to me. No need to get the upcoming Tone Poet of this one... well, I suppose the cover is nicer.

Primary

I have this one on the King pressing but will probably capitulate !

37 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Excellent date. Anyone else notice some "crunch" in the pressing on "My Funny Valentine" ? 

Didn’t notice any problem but will re-check. All 3 LPs on my first copy were fine. The cover had a  couple of dings though so back it has gone for replacement (just arrived).

Edited by sidewinder

11 minutes ago, BillF said:

👍

TAP 22 also unusual amongst Tempos in being ubiquitous on LP back in the day. Reissued on budget label MFP and available in Woolies along with Bob Downes’ ‘Deep Dark Heavy’ !

57 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Just spinning the new copy. Yes, there is a bit of crunchiness during Joe Farrell’s flute solo. Not too bad but a bit annoying !

Have to say, Elvin’s drums are captured extremely well in this release. Amazing that it was recorded per the story in the notes, thank goodness it was.

Edited by sidewinder

Sonny Criss - This Is Criss! (Prestige) A green label Van Gelder pressing that sounds really good. Such a fine date with a killer rhythm section - Walter Davis, Paul Chambers & Alan Dawson. Criss should have been bigger. I always assumed it was because he stayed on the West Coast.

I just realized that this particular release is not in the discogs database.

Primary

From what I read at the London Jazz Collector's page, these green label Prestige LPs came out ~1972 and are not very highly though of. I admit that the vinyl is pretty flimsy but as I said, this particular cut sounds fine to me. Maybe I got lucky?

12 minutes ago, bresna said:

Sonny Criss - This Is Criss! (Prestige) A green label Van Gelder pressing that sounds really good. Such a fine date with a killer rhythm section - Walter Davis, Paul Chambers & Alan Dawson. Criss should have been bigger. I always assumed it was because he stayed on the West Coast.

I just realized that this particular release is not in the discogs database.

Primary

😁 Like him very much. Somehow underrated.

Here is the link from DISCOGS: https://www.discogs.com/master/321279-Sonny-Criss-This-Is-Criss

These are my Items from him

Criss,Sonny u.a.    An Evening of Jazz    1949    Norgran(jap) DSM    1065    as    USA    M              02046
Criss,Sonny    Jazz - U.S.A.    1955    Imperial(jap)    9006    as    USA    M              00835
Criss,Sonny    Go Man!    1956    Imperial (jap)    9020    as    USA    M              03034
Criss,Sonny    Sonny Criss plays Cole Porter    1956    Imperial    9024    as    USA    M              02669

Criss,Sonny    Up,Up and Away - with Farlow    1967    Prestige (jap)    VDJ-1654    as    USA         St    CD    02996

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

15 hours ago, Pim said:

[IMG] 
oh my! How this music deserved the Acoustic Sounds treatment. It sounds amazing 😍 R.I.P. Pharoah Sanders!

Wonderful, I love it. I´m so glad I could see Mr. Sanders live on several occasions. He was one of my earliest favourites. Coltrane´s "At Village Vanguard AGAIN" was my first listening experience of Sander´s tenor, and "At the East" was my first Sanders LP decades ago. "Karma" I got some years ago, my wife had bought it for me.