• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Such a great list of performers ! 

I only saw Ricky Ford and Jack Walrath twice when they were the front line of the Mingus group from 1976-77 (with Danny Mixon in 76 and Bob Neloms in 77 as the only personnel change). Walrath and Ford were a dream team and they really blew on those gigs but where underrecorded on the a bit dull studio albums of the time. When we will finally get some CDs of live concerts of those groups, there is so many discoveries now, Donald Byrd 1973, Dexter Gordon in Paris 1978, all those NorthSea Festival discoveries and those "Onkel Pö" discoveries, but Mingus ?????? 

57 minutes ago, Pim said:
[IMG] 

Sadly, even by the life expectancy standards of jazz musicians of those days this was a particularly blighted group.

Only Blakey made it to the grand old age of 71. Brooks went at 42, Morgan 33, Clark 31 and Watkins 27.

And so much talent went with them! 

3 minutes ago, BillF said:

Sadly, even by the life expectancy standards of jazz musicians of those days this was a particularly blighted group.

Only Blakey made it to the grand old age of 71. Brooks went at 42, Morgan 33, Clark 31 and Watkins 27.

And so much talent went with them! 

Yeah it’s a damn shame. All excellent musicians. 

20 hours ago, Pim said:

E2-ED2838-879-E-4-B29-A9-BB-9-B504-BAE0-

I think I have it, but I remember the cover more than the music. Or, wait a minute: That kind of religious hymn only for the horns at the beginning? Some "Well You Needn´t" with Hawk on tenor, is that right ? And well the sound of Gigi Gryce. IMHO he was a great composer first of all, while his sound was not the greatest. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have it, but I remember the cover more than the music. Or, wait a minute: That kind of religious hymn only for the horns at the beginning? Some "Well You Needn´t" with Hawk on tenor, is that right ? And well the sound of Gigi Gryce. IMHO he was a great composer first of all, while his sound was not the greatest. 

That’s it ;) 

CFBCFE8-F-ADF3-4-E20-868-B-4-F022-D4-A15

63677-A09-92-C6-4-D73-A090-FFC18-D86262-

1440-AA24-354-A-42-F3-82-F9-758937-CA198

32-DDACFD-52-AE-488-E-91-D6-8717-F7-CAA9

Working at home this morning :)

Edited by Pim

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Agree with all that.😀

5 minutes ago, Pim said:

That’s it ;) 

👍

21 minutes ago, Pim said:

That’s it ;) 

CFBCFE8-F-ADF3-4-E20-868-B-4-F022-D4-A15

1440-AA24-354-A-42-F3-82-F9-758937-CA198

Working at home this morning :)

The Monk Quartet live with Johnny Griffin: I got the two CDs some years ago from my wife. The Coverart of Misterioso is quite funny, my wife said, it´s "Hamletean" (obviously referring the the spare scene decorations on pieces written by Shakespeare). 

The "Underground" I think I never heard, as I think I don´t have the CBS albums, it seems that they were quite short-lived. There was one double LP who sampled some of the tracks of the CBS albums, that´s all that was available in the late 70´s . You might find the Prestige and maybe Riverside LPs, but not the CBS. ot seems that lot of the CBS stuff was not more again in their catalogue as they focussed more on rock music. You could find all the electric Miles albums, but not the old "Milestones" for example.....