Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The Monk Quartet live with Johnny Griffin: I got the two CDs some years ago from my wife. The Coverart of Misterioso is quite funny, my wife said, it´s "Hamletean" (obviously referring the the spare scene decorations on pieces written by Shakespeare). 

The "Underground" I think I never heard, as I think I don´t have the CBS albums, it seems that they were quite short-lived. There was one double LP who sampled some of the tracks of the CBS albums, that´s all that was available in the late 70´s . You might find the Prestige and maybe Riverside LPs, but not the CBS. ot seems that lot of the CBS stuff was not more again in their catalogue as they focussed more on rock music. You could find all the electric Miles albums, but not the old "Milestones" for example.....

It’s the classic quartet with Rouse and I think it’s one of their finer outings. 
and even though I really, really dig Rouse (Yeah! Is THE straightahead tenor sax record for me) I like my Monk best combined with a more powerful tenor player like Griff, Coltrane or Newk :)

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

image_1602733_9b86a266-0014-4970-8ca3-22

An amazingly good sounding pressing, considering.

I remember well when Water Babies came out, it must have been in the 70´s and it had a pop art cover very similar to the albums "On the Corner" or "In Concert", so we thought its an album of then contemporanous stuff and were a bit astonished when we heard a late sixties music with more straight ahead jazz. It sounded good, like the then "old" sixties albums, but we were mislead by the cover art. 

But why did they put a photo of 1980´s Miles on this edition, this again might let people think it is a 1980´s record. 

I think the biggest sorrow of us folks then in the  late 70´s was "when or if Miles would come back and play". I think in 1979 there was even a rumour that he will do a tour. This was the time when those 3 LP sets with before unissued track came out, I think it was called "Circle in the Round" but I think I didn´t have that, especially when I saw it´s more like a sampler starting with stuff from the 50´s .....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember well when Water Babies came out, it must have been in the 70´s and it had a pop art cover very similar to the albums "On the Corner" or "In Concert", so we thought its an album of then contemporanous stuff and were a bit astonished when we heard a late sixties music with more straight ahead jazz. It sounded good, like the then "old" sixties albums, but we were mislead by the cover art. 

But why did they put a photo of 1980´s Miles on this edition, this again might let people think it is a 1980´s record. 

I think the biggest sorrow of us folks then in the  late 70´s was "when or if Miles would come back and play". I think in 1979 there was even a rumour that he will do a tour. This was the time when those 3 LP sets with before unissued track came out, I think it was called "Circle in the Round" but I think I didn´t have that, especially when I saw it´s more like a sampler starting with stuff from the 50´s .....

This one originally came out around 1976 with the Corky McCoy cover. Miles had entered his quiet period so the issue of 60s material was a surprise, I guess Teo Macero was the driving force in putting it out. Recorded extremely well, Tony Williams’ shimmering drums were rarely captured better. I bought this one at the time on UK CBS.

The ‘I Love Jazz’ reissue was from the vinyl nadir period of the 80s/90s. I picked it up for peanuts not expecting much but the (thin) vinyl sounds great. I’ve had similar experience with others in this series.

20 minutes ago, optatio said:

👍

No question about it that this is a good album !