What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

39 minutes ago, optatio said:

On my shelf. Saw Bobby Watson live in Göttingen with "The Leaders" November 2007!

I think I saw him only with the Jazz Messengers about in the late 70´s , that band with Valery Ponomarev, the russian trumpet player. 
I think it was that band that brought Blakey back to more action and top billing. I think the earlier part of the 70´s was not such a good period for the band or it was the lack of interest of acoustic jazz then.......

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

No question about it that this is a good album !

1 hour ago, optatio said:

On my shelf. Saw Bobby Watson live in Göttingen with "The Leaders" November 2007!

22 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I saw him only with the Jazz Messengers about in the late 70´s , that band with Valery Ponomarev, the russian trumpet player. 

"The Leaders" came late. There was no time to leave the theater for a snack after the soundcheck. So we sat at a table in the theater canteen.
I gave Eddie Henderson a CD from his "early period" to sign. Bobby Watson saw that and shouted: "Eddie with hairs!" Big laughs at the table! Bobby Watson had dreadlocks at that time.

1 hour ago, optatio said:

First time I saw him was with Blakey circa 1979/80, I think Ponomarev might have been on trumpet first time and next tour I think it was Bill Hardman.

Next time was around 1993 for a couple of nights with ‘Horizon’.

From my recollections, Blakey was low key here in the 70s until ‘Gypsy Folk Tales’ came out on Pye. Earlier in the decade he had been featured on those Sonet LPs and in the ‘Giants of Jazz’ tour.

15 hours ago, Pim said:

F706-D6-A6-8110-436-E-977-F-FD5-C9-E195-

I also spinned that recently (I have it on USB in my car) and I remember that I had bought it in the 70´s. What I didn´t understand then and don´t understand now is, why it´s titled "at Basin Street". It is not a live recording, it is a studio recording. 
I also remember my first impression of hearing the younger brother of Bud on piano. On faster tunes he sounds like a copy of Bud, but it seems he didn´t have the same tehnique and musical imaginations. It´s also strange that it has only Max on the cover, but Cliff and Max were co-leaders. 

12 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Terje Rypdal, Chaser (ECM)

Philly Joe Jones, Philly Mignon (Galaxy)image.jpeg.66169caa2e5058b8026494868ad379bd.jpegimage.jpeg.1ac607492fe9dcb9e542a0aad6e2ca8f.jpeg

12 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Terje Rypdal, Chaser (ECM)

Philly Joe Jones, Philly Mignon (Galaxy)image.jpeg.66169caa2e5058b8026494868ad379bd.jpegimage.jpeg.1ac607492fe9dcb9e542a0aad6e2ca8f.jpeg

I can refer only to the Philly J.J. album, since the other I don´t know and have a personal difficulty with ECM records, with two exceptions : Lieb´s "Outlook Farm" and "Drum Ode". 

The Philly J.J. album I would like to hear again, but those Galaxy albums were so short lived, if you didn´t buy them when they came out, you lost it. 
If I remember right, there was different personnel on that album and I think there was also some Dexter Gordon on it. 

32-A26-F67-886-E-4-A98-A980-62-E71-B0-EF

B4-D199-FA-1587-40-F8-840-B-9-B8329-AA14

two very different trumpet players I both very much enjoy :)

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

On faster tunes he sounds like a copy of Bud, but it seems he didn´t have the same tehnique and musical imaginations. 

Well the similarities are obviously there (it might be genetical ;) ) but I do think Richie has his own sound. I think his playing has a more ‘at ease’ feel than Bud’s. That makes him fit in better for this session than his brother imo. 

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The Philly J.J. album I would like to hear again, but those Galaxy albums were so short lived, if you didn´t buy them when they came out, you lost it. 
If I remember right, there was different personnel on that album and I think there was also some Dexter Gordon on it. 

Either Dexter or Ira Sullivan on saxophone on the album, with Nat Adderley. George Cables and Ron Carter in the rhythm section. It's an excellent album.

The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra (Savoy/Craft Recordings). image.jpeg.3c29448fd8108f11a84193bf9dad0b01.jpeg

14 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Edited by kh1958

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I also spinned that recently (I have it on USB in my car) and I remember that I had bought it in the 70´s. What I didn´t understand then and don´t understand now is, why it´s titled "at Basin Street". It is not a live recording, it is a studio recording. 
It´s also strange that it has only Max on the cover, but Cliff and Max were co-leaders. 

They were appearing at Basin Street at the time, so maybe there were plans to record them there.  I remember seeing an Italian bootleg in the early 80's that was recording live at Basin Street.  As for the cover, I think it was released after Clifford's death, so maybe Max was sensitive.

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I've been snapping up those Galaxy albums as I see them, usually on Dusty Groove.  They're relatively inexpensive, usually in good shape, and tend to have surprising personnel.  Fantasy/Galaxy didn't spend a lot to promote their new releases, so many titles flew under the radar.  IIRC, Galaxy was co-owned by Fantasy and some Japanese label (but I could be wrong about that).

On 12/25/2022 at 9:10 AM, sidewinder said:

NjEtNDk1OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Pleased to have a copy of this 2LP set. All of the material is on the fine Mosaic Select but the sound is even better I think. Gatefold with photos is up to Tone Poet standards. In fact, it is almost like a prototype Tone Poet.

Picked that up a month or two ago and very pleased I did. Production values very high as you say. Music is great too

59 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Picked that up a month or two ago and very pleased I did. Production values very high as you say. Music is great too

In retrospect, not sure that the sound is that much better than the ‘Rare Groove’ LP or the Mosaic for that matter but it is a nice production. The gatefold photo format seems to have been taken forward by the Tone Poet series.

LTM1MjYuanBlZw.jpeg

Chitinous Ensemble ‘Chitinous (Deram). About time this one had a spin.