• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, optatio said:

Morgan-F-1-1_stitch.jpg

The only Frank Morgan I ever heard was on that Prestige Album Wardell Gray Vol. II on that session where he plays a very strong and emotional alto, and where you have the somehow strange but fascinating vibe sounds of Teddy Charles. 
I thing I wasn´t even familiar with the name of Frank Morgan then. 
It seems he got some publicity after having been released from jail, somewhere in the 80´s and he was feted in Jazz Podium as a Bird-like surviver, who playes first hand bop and there was a long story about him.
But I also had heard statements from fellow musicians that he was very difficult to deal with, and though he claimed that he was clean after decades (which Chet Baker also said to Podium ) I think he was a bad junkey until the last moments of his live. 

I think I saw a you tube once where he let´s a young asiatic alto playin girl with the strange name "Grace Kelly" sit in and she was top, knewing the essence of bop from top to bottom, astonishing. But I heard that later she became more commercial and did singing also and so she lost me....

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I remember seeing him a few times in a restaurant venue accompanied just by bass.

Back in 70s and 80s, Stowell made a series of albums with bassist David Friesen.  Perhaps you saw Stowell with him?

Stowell's more recent work in the trio Scenes -- with bassist Jeff Johnson and drummer John Bishop -- is what initially drew me to his playing.  

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Back in 70s and 80s, Stowell made a series of albums with bassist David Friesen.  Perhaps you saw Stowell with him?

Stowell's more recent work in the trio Scenes -- with bassist Jeff Johnson and drummer John Bishop -- is what initially drew me to his playing.  

No, not Friesen. This was in the mid 90s. Atillio Sanchi rings a bell - not sure if I got the name right.

Stowell’s style holding the guitar is very distinctive. Almost as if he is playing a lute.

The intimate style of music worked very well in a restaurant venue. From memory the meal was a fine steak !

Another good guitarist I saw in that period who liked to tour and play solo is Gene Bertoncini. I think he had local friends - a real virtuoso.

On 12/26/2022 at 3:12 PM, mjazzg said:

Picked that up a month or two ago and very pleased I did. Production values very high as you say. Music is great too

Further refined my opinion on this Duke Pearson release after a spin on the RCM. It is better than previous issues - more fine detail comes through. Or maybe my deck is behaving itself !  The definitive issue.

Edited by sidewinder

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The only Frank Morgan I ever heard was on that Prestige Album Wardell Gray Vol. II on that session where he plays a very strong and emotional alto, and where you have the somehow strange but fascinating vibe sounds of Teddy Charles. 
It seems he got some publicity after having been released from jail, somewhere in the 80´s and he was feted in Jazz Podium as a Bird-like surviver, who playes first hand bop and there was a long story about him.
But I also had heard statements from fellow musicians that he was very difficult to deal with, and though he claimed that he was clean after decades (which Chet Baker also said to Podium ) I think he was a bad junkey until the last moments of his live. 

I think I saw a you tube once where he let´s a young asiatic alto playin girl with the strange name "Grace Kelly" sit in and she was top, knewing the essence of bop from top to bottom, astonishing. But I heard that later she became more commercial and did singing also and so she lost me....

This post is a little strange. I saw Frank Morgan many times in Taos at The Taos Inn. He played fine, was quite lucid & didn't seem to be stoned (although I'm no expert on that). Was very nice to the local musicians accompanying him. May have been an a**hole at other times, but not then.

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

She knows how to play but from what I know she did get commercial, trying to be more of a crowd pleaser and appealing to a wider audience (not that there’s anything wrong with that). I believe there is a thread or two about her. 

12 hours ago, jlhoots said:

This post is a little strange. I saw Frank Morgan many times in Taos at The Taos Inn. He played fine, was quite lucid & didn't seem to be stoned (although I'm no expert on that). Was very nice to the local musicians accompanying him. May have been an a**hole at other times, but not then.

I have not seen him, maybe he had not toured Austria. I also was astonished when I read that thing that fellow musicians complained about him. Until then I also had thought he is articulate and grateful for the fact that he can play. So I also was quite astonished to read about him quite shitty on more than one occasion. 

Maybe it was like Sonny Stitt. Stitt could be ok on several performances but could be really shitty on other occasions. I saw him only once and it was almost a desaster...., the way he lectured the rhythm section on the bandstand.....

22 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Grace Kelly was November 8, 2013 at the Göttingen Jazz Festival. Her play astonished me ...

Grace Kelly.jpg

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Recently plucked from a record store dollar bin:

MS0xMzg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Billy Eckstine - Mister B. and the Band: The Savoy Sessions (Savoy/Arista, rec. 1945-47)

This is one of my absolute top favourites. Billy Eckstine is my idea of a perfect singer. And this is the perfect band, never ever it happened again. Those incredible arrangements by Dameron and others, the approach of the songs, the ocasionally vintege bop like "Second Balcony Jump" or "Oo Bop Sh Bam" and all that . 
When I play a ballad, I THINK Billy Eckstine with Band, them great chord progressions, all that hip stuff. 

Maybe the last side doesn´t appeal to me as much as sides A-C , because it starts to get "Hollywood" with them strings and so on, but the songs still very fine, though the legendary band slowly disappears. 

All Stars you can give for that Double LP ! 

24 minutes ago, Pim said:

6-BC7-E2-DD-67-AB-4-BFF-879-D-1-A703-BC1

one of those hidden treasures from the Japanese jazz scene. Takeo Moriyama is one hell of a drummer. His duets with Mal are also outstanding!

what's the title of that one Pim? I can't quite make it out.

I enjoyed the reissue of his on BBE a few years ago