What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

NC0zODQyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Bill Berry's L.A. Big Band - "Hello Rev" (Concord, 1976)

There were quite a few heavyweights in this band:
- Trumpet – Bill Berry, Blue Mitchell, Cat Anderson, Gene Goe, Jack Sheldon
- Saxophone – Don Menza, Jack Nimitz, Lanny Morgan, Marshal Royal, Richie Kamuca
- Trombone – Benny Powell, Britt Woodman, Jimmy Cleveland, Tricky Lofton
- Piano – Dave Frishberg
- Bass – Monty Budwig
- Drums – Frank Capp

Yeah, have that one - quite enjoyable. As are the Frankie Capp ‘Juggernaut’ LPs that Concord put out around the same time and with many of the same musicians. Must dig out..

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31-E06723-D31-A-4-A65-8-DBB-3-BB0-A27154

F5533-A1-F-6-E12-4081-831-D-A37217275-DC

Well the end of the year deserves a special record and special drink. On the turntable is the one and only Reminiscent Suite by Mal Waldron featuring an all Japanese band. This might be my favorite record ever, my desert island number one.

In the glass is a Westvleteren 12. A very special Belgian beer that has won multiple awards. Not without reason it’s delicious and I just don’t want to finish it. 

With this combination I could wish you a very happy and jazzy new year. Hopefully with some very nice reissues to come.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

31-E06723-D31-A-4-A65-8-DBB-3-BB0-A27154

F5533-A1-F-6-E12-4081-831-D-A37217275-DC

Well the end of the year deserves a special record and special drink. On the turntable is the one and only Reminiscent Suite by Mal Waldron featuring an all Japanese band. This might be my favorite record ever, my desert island number one.

In the glass is a Westvleteren 12. A very special Belgian beer that has won multiple awards. Not without reason it’s delicious and I just don’t want to finish it. 

With this combination I could wish you a very happy and jazzy new year. Hopefully with some very nice reissues to come.

... and I see Albert Ayler Holy Ghost 9 CD Spirit Box - upright, very familiar to me! A happy new year ...

2 hours ago, Pim said:

I'll join in and wish everyone here on the forum a Happy New Year as well. 

Maybe someone will finally get around to reissuing Reminiscent Suite in 2023!  ;) 

CA55-BF2-C-522-C-4-DA0-95-A7-986-C42-EA4

Another great Sonny playing saxophone :)

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Maybe someone will finally get around to reissuing Reminiscent Suite in 2023!  ;) 

It has always surprised me that it still has none. Mal is still pretty popular in Japan but it's his Japanese recordings that are mostly hard to find.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

[IMG] Scorpio issue that sounds okay.

Must spin that again. I think I bought it mostly because it´s one of the few ocasions where Trane recorded for BN. 
That long first tune, I think I remember it´s a AABA form with the A sections 12 bar blues, and an 8 bar bridge. Very strong Trane on it. And I think it also has a slow version of some standard, maybe "How Deep´s the Ocean" ? 

In general I think it didn´t sell as well as "Cool Struttin´" which maybe is even better, though it doesn´t have Trane on it, but Jackie McLean is also top for me like Trane......

Sonny Clark I think has a very hard touch with his right hand. He doesn´t play many runs, but is the ultimate hard bop pianist. It seems that his playing and his love for minor key tunes had influenced that somehow "strange and untypical" Bud Powell album "The Scene Changes". Same touch, similar ideas. But for that kind of style (minor key hardbop at medium tempo)  I prefer Sonny Clark. 

702-ED4-AC-7-B9-B-463-D-B5-E9-02724-EA57

this was one of the records that made me pick up the saxophone when I was a kid. Well it was one song: Rouses Point. It was on a jazz saxophone compilation that my dad often played. I later bought the complete album (which was one of my first jazz cd’s) and now I bought the vinyl as well :) it remains a favorite and it’s lovely to hear Rouse play outside of Monks band.