• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Pim said:

702-ED4-AC-7-B9-B-463-D-B5-E9-02724-EA57

It was on a jazz saxophone compilation that my dad often played.

I think it seldom happens that the son listens or plays the same kind of music like his dad did. 

My dad listened only to classical music, mostly them long operas of Wagner, while I discovered jazz on my own (but soon making older friends who would teach me) . 
And though both my sons play instruments (electric guitar, electric bass) they are into metal and that´s okay for me too, maybe more okay for me than it was in my case for my father, who would have wished that I learn classical music which just was not my kind of music. 

So each generation in my family had it´s own groove in music. 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think it seldom happens that the son listens or plays the same kind of music like his dad did. 

My dad listened only to classical music, mostly them long operas of Wagner, while I discovered jazz on my own (but soon making older friends who would teach me) . 
And though both my sons play instruments (electric guitar, electric bass) they are into metal and that´s okay for me too, maybe more okay for me than it was in my case for my father, who would have wished that I learn classical music which just was not my kind of music. 

So each generation in my family had it´s own groove in music. 

Well it didn't work on my brother or sister. They both dislike jazz music. I wonder what my 2 little boys are going to listen to when they are all grown up. What I think is funny (but also very interesting) is that a freejazz record doesn't bother them at all, which makes me think that many peoples aversion against the music might be more nurture than nature.... Like when a child got to hear very structured pop music for all of his youth, when he's going to hear a freejazz record than that doesn't sound nice to him. But my sons (4 and 1 yo) hearing seem to be still unprejudiced.

That's why we could easily play Lego in the morning with Ayler's 'Truth is Marching In' shouting from the speakers. Until my wife comes downstairs with that weird look on her face of course.... Than my sons have to listen to this so called 'Coffeetime' playlist on Spotify. The horror!

FC9709-A4-AE88-438-C-8-A6-C-0-B070901-FB

I missed the Eremite but happy with this new reissue now. Extraordinary music. I like all those directions Jamal was heading. The Philadelphia scene of those days must have been great to see back then. 

Talking about Eremite: when will they finally reissue Jemeel Moondocs Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys? I don’t even have the cd version and I’d love to have it on vinyl. I believe Clifford said they were going to do it but no sign of it yet unfortunately :(

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MS02MDgwLmpwZWc.jpeg

with Joe Henderson, Oscar Brashear, Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter, and Billy Higgins

Those years were good years. We were very exited that J.J. Johnson recorded again. His last record, very much listened by us was his 1977 Yokohama Concert. So it was great to have him touring again and playing here in 1981 which anyway was a good year. Dexter had his "Gotham City" out and visited Austria every year for playing festivals, Miles Davis was back with "The Man with the Horn" with much more "jazz" than one might have expected, good old times....

On 1/4/2023 at 4:07 PM, Pim said:

Talking about Eremite: when will they finally reissue Jemeel Moondocs Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys? I don’t even have the cd version and I’d love to have it on vinyl. I believe Clifford said they were going to do it but no sign of it yet unfortunately :(

A real lack of Moondoc out there.