What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 1/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, Pim said:

24-D52-CBF-04-BB-46-C7-9-EE5-64-D9-ADFE9

I got it some years ago from my wife, it was two CDs, the other is "Misterioso" and has a very strange cover art. My wife said it looks "like Hamlet". The music is great and sounds very modern. I´m glad there is some players here in Viena who play with similar power, all them great tunes "Evidence" "In Walked Bud" and so on. 

15 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Buddy Tate, Live at Sandy's (Muse)

The Colorful Strings of Jimmy Woode (Argo)image.jpeg.addf27c05e056496c035f40ca9db6c68.jpeg

image.jpeg.79ca3bdf09b059e6424404665a93d91a.jpeg

I saw Buddy Tate in a Woody Herman All Stars combo. It was the only time I saw Woody Herman without his "Herd", I think it was Al Cohn, Scott Hamilton, Buddy Tate, maybe a trumpet player I don´t remember. I think they all were Concord label artists. Woody played a lot of clarinet and even sang a number "I´ve got the world on a string". The only sad thing was that George Duvivier was scheduled to be on bass but died exactly on that day. It must have been in July 1985. 

Jimmy Woode during my earlier times in the 70´s was a regular bassist on many nights I saw. I remember he played a lot with the great Austrian piano star Fritz Pauer, Tony Inzalaco was on drums, and I saw them also together with Johnny Griffin in spring 1978. Jimmy Woode was announced as "James Woody the Second". That´s how Griff announced musicians during those, he himself announced him as "Johnny Griffin III". 

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Pim said:

How’s that Jimmy Woode? Never heard him as a leader but I love his bass playing with Mal Waldron.

The Argo Jimmy Woode date, which I had never seen before running across this somewhat warped but playable copy, and apparently his only leader date, is quite excellent, featuring a number of fine Jimmy Woode originals, a mix of Ellington sidemen (Paul Gonsalves, Clark Terry and Sam Woodward), the well known (Ramsey Lewis), and obscure to me sidemen (Porter Gilbert on alto, Mike Simpson on flute).

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw Buddy Tate in a Woody Herman All Stars combo. It was the only time I saw Woody Herman without his "Herd", I think it was Al Cohn, Scott Hamilton, Buddy Tate, maybe a trumpet player I don´t remember. I think they all were Concord label artists. Woody played a lot of clarinet and even sang a number "I´ve got the world on a string". The only sad thing was that George Duvivier was scheduled to be on bass but died exactly on that day. It must have been in July 1985. 

I went to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in 1987 and saw Buddy Tate in a George Wein All-Stars group, along with Norris Turney, and Slam Stewart. Warren Vache and Scott Hamilton were also in the group but not interesting to me at the time.

Johnny Griffin, Call It Whachawana (Galaxy)

Galaxy All Stars, Live Under the Sky (Galaxy)image.jpeg.4fbdbbb0ed5b0f93271755b91c545f74.jpegimage.jpeg.2a5594f4a6c2c55daec4266b4f3cf443.jpeg

26 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

The Argo Jimmy Woode date, which I had never seen before running across this somewhat warped but playable copy, and apparently his only leader date, is quite excellent, featuring a number of fine Jimmy Woode originals, a mix of Ellington sidemen (Paul Gonsalves, Clark Terry and Sam Woodward), the well known (Ramsey Lewis), and obscure to me sidemen (Porter Gilbert on alto, Mike Simpson on flute).

I went to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in 1987 and saw Buddy Tate in a George Wein All-Stars group, along with Norris Turney, and Slam Stewart. Warren Vache and Scott Hamilton were also in the group but not interesting to me at the time.

Galaxy All Stars, Live Under the Sky (Galaxy)image.jpeg.4fbdbbb0ed5b0f93271755b91c545f74.jpegimage.jpeg.2a5594f4a6c2c55daec4266b4f3cf443.jpeg

I believe that's Porter Kilbert, not Gilbert.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Why didn’t Don Byas sign up with Verve or a label like that? I am not familiar with his life. Was it personal problems?

2 hours ago, Niko said:

in a manner of speaking, yes... just like you and me, he was stuck in the Netherlands ;)

It has still never been clear to me why he recorded so little. Lots of other jazz musicians were in Western Europe at the time and many of them got to record all the more for being here. Why did Steeplechase or SABA never come a-knocking? Why aren't there 400 records of Byas playing on radio with NHOP and Kenny Clarke, with Sahib Shihab on baritone?

31 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I do recall Stan Tracey mentioning that Byas was one of the most unpleasant individuals he ever accompanied during his long 60s stint at Ronnie Scotts. Maybe this character trait had an impact on willingness of parties to record him.

that probably played a role as well, but I also think that "real jazz" from the Netherlands is not terribly well-documented before the advent of Timeless and Criss Cross between 1975 and 1980... production of jazz records in the Netherlands was quite limited between, say 1960 and 1975 (jazz on tv is another story - and there Byas is indeed curiously absent...).

as a native Dutchman, Pim has at least the right to complain about the weather while immigrants like Byas or me have to stay silent about all the grey because we could have moved anywhere else in the world, if we don't like it...

Ny01NDY1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Hal Singer - Blues in the Night

one of the perks of living in Amsterdam are the record stores... got this one this afternoon after realizing that it's the Hal Singer album with Valdo Williams on piano... (no Hal SInger with Kenny Drew and NHOP either... and I don't believe Singer was an unpleasant individual)

Edited by Niko

56 minutes ago, Niko said:

that probably played a role as well, but I also think that "real jazz" from the Netherlands is not terribly well-documented before the advent of Timeless and Criss Cross between 1975 and 1980... production of jazz records in the Netherlands was quite limited between, say 1960 and 1975 (jazz on tv is another story - and there Byas is indeed curiously absent...).

By contrast, Ben Webster, also resident in NL in that period had a documentary made of him and was also recorded. Stan didn’t complain about Ben. 😊

16 hours ago, Pim said:

0-D6-FB4-AC-561-D-47-F0-9501-2-FBFFC2-ED

Why didn’t Don Byas sign up with Verve or a label like that? I am not familiar with his life. Was it personal problems?

Well, Byas left the States in the 40´s and stayed there for the rest of his live. He tried a comeback in the States in the early 70´s and actually played there with the Thad Jones - Mel Lewis Orchestra and with Blakeys Jazz Messengers and I think he also did a Japan tour with the Jazz Messengers. But the difficulty must have been that acoustic jazz was no market in those years, even stars like Art Blakey had to struggle for gigs then. 

I think Verve was founded after Don Byas left the States in 1946/47. Sure, Verve would have payed him good money, but for me as a listener I´m just glad he did NOT record for Verve. All the Verve albums Bird did for Norman Granz, they are good but don´t have the same fire and imagination like the so called "small labels" , and Dizzy the same. 
So there was no time when Byas COULD have become a Verve artist . 

I was quite astonished why that Byas - Bud Powell collaboration was not released when those musicians were alive since it was a studio record. Byas also recorded with Bud in Germany for the Impulse album "Americans in Europe" but it´s strange there is almost only ballads, which is even more strange since it was a live event. One ballad is fine, but they should have cooked more on faster stuff, since they both were fast guns in jazz. 
I think there is also an unofficial recording of Byas with Bud in Denmark, I think it also has Brew Moore. 

I have heard that Byas was quite a difficult person and it was very very hard to please him as a European player. I think the short lived Ronny Scott book with memories about those musicians stated that Byas and Brew Moore where very difficult to handle and often cursed european fellow musicians on stage "if you must play crap play it low" or something like that....

15 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Warren Vache and Scott Hamilton were also in the group but not interesting to me at the time.

Interesting, it was the same thing with me. Those Concord Young Lions of the time , those young guys who played pre bop stuff in the 70´s and 80´s never was my thing. Now that you say it it seems on that Woody Herman All Star it was also Varren Vaché on trumpet. I didn´t play much attention to him. 

About the Galaxy albums, I really would have liked to hear some of those live albums from Japan, but I think Galaxy was a very short lived label. I don´t know if it re-appeard on all those "original jazz classic" series...

[IMG] 

13 hours ago, Niko said:

as a native Dutchman, Pim has at least the right to complain about the weather while immigrants like Byas or me have to stay silent about all the grey because we could have moved anywhere else in the world, if we don't like it...

You're only well integrated as a Dutchman when you complain about the weather Niko, so please do so. The weather is really shitty here for weeks now and the forecasts ain't looking good.... Rain, wind, 9 degrees celsius.... typical Dutch winter.

13 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Pedro Iturralde - Jazz Famenco! [Hispavox, Spain 1967]

That's a great album I only recently discovered!

re complaining about the weather, today looks like a wonderful day to start...

re Ben Webster managing to record in NL: true, upon a quick inspection (= I might have made mistakes) there are four Dutch Webster albums from the 60s, and "For the Guv'nor" is exactly the type of rare "top production" Byas didn't get (liner notes by de Ruyter, production by Joop Visser, a rhythm section with Schols/Engels, similar to e.g. the Ann Burton albums), but for instance "At his best" is a special production for the AH super markets - a small niche - and "At The Haarlemse Jazzclub" is a production for CAT - whom I forgot in my list of labels above, they started a bit earlier than Timeless and Criss Cross but not by much...

OC02ODQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Clare Fischer - Easy Livin'