Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/8/2023 at 12:08 PM, Rabshakeh said:

It has still never been clear to me why he recorded so little. Lots of other jazz musicians were in Western Europe at the time and many of them got to record all the more for being here. Why did Steeplechase or SABA never come a-knocking? Why aren't there 400 records of Byas playing on radio with NHOP and Kenny Clarke, with Sahib Shihab on baritone?

Byas did record for SABA, one album, co-led with Webster.

Dutch multi-instrumentalist Kees Hazevoet did an exhaustive Byas discography/sessionography though it looks like it's not hosted online anymore -- need to dig that monster back up. It's quite fascinating.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Ni0zMTk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

French edition. This set makes the Benedetti Mosaic sound like hi fi.

Presumably recorded by Benedetti on a wire recorder. Remastered by RVG !

I think I remember some guys of my generation had this, it was two discs and obviously an European edition.
They all said "bad sound quality" and I asked to borrow it for casette making, and I thought if I got thru "Miles-Dameron in Paris" or "Bird-Fats-Bud" at Birdland, nothing can be more worse, but it was. So I didn´t make a cassete .

If I´m right it is, or was those two records, which was also as separate records on another label (I think the french "Amerika" label.
It was "Bird on 52nd Street, very poor recording sound, almost only the Parker solos, and the other I think was "Bird at San Nicks" also with only the Bird solos. So maybe they made the double album out of those two. 

I was a Bird fan after I got accquainted to him thru Mingus, and had those old live albums like "The Happy Bird" and "Bird is Free" etc. I still remember when I heard about "Bird is Free" that he plays "Free Jazz" on that😄

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I remember some guys of my generation had this, it was two discs and obviously an European edition.
They all said "bad sound quality" and I asked to borrow it for casette making, and I thought if I got thru "Miles-Dameron in Paris" or "Bird-Fats-Bud" at Birdland, nothing can be more worse, but it was. So I didn´t make a cassete .

If I´m right it is, or was those two records, which was also as separate records on another label (I think the french "Amerika" label.
It was "Bird on 52nd Street, very poor recording sound, almost only the Parker solos, and the other I think was "Bird at San Nicks" also with only the Bird solos. So maybe they made the double album out of those two. 

I was a Bird fan after I got accquainted to him thru Mingus, and had those old live albums like "The Happy Bird" and "Bird is Free" etc. I still remember when I heard about "Bird is Free" that he plays "Free Jazz" on that😄

Yes, it combines ‘Bird on 52nd St’ and ‘Bird at St Nicks’ from the Fantasy catalogue. Surprisingly interesting and I find the fidelity bearable.

What is less than great on my copy is that the gatefold has been sliced off and the inner right text page stapled onto the back ! It has what looks like an ink stamp mark on the front so maybe it originated from one of our radio stations. All in all - a complete abomination !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, it combines ‘Bird on 52nd St’ and ‘Bird at St Nicks’ from the Fantasy catalogue. Surprisingly interesting and I find the fidelity bearable.

What is less than great on my copy is that the gatefold has been sliced off and the inner right text page stapled onto the back ! It has what looks like an ink stamp mark on the front so maybe it originated from one of our radio stations. All in all - a complete abomination !

I think I read somewhere that those recordings were not made by Dean Benedetti. It seems like that others had copied his thing of recording only the Bird solos. I think Jimmy Knepper made the tapes of some of that material.