• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/15/2023 at 4:16 PM, optatio said:

👍

Hope-6-1_stitch.jpg

I never had this album but heard it at someone´s place. 
If I remember right there was John Gilmore on ts, and Philly J.J. on drums, and there is a very funny vocal version of Groovin High on it, really cool. 
The sound quality is terrible, but is that stuff really recorded in jail ? I heard that Elmo Hope and Philly J.J. both were incarcerated in Riker´s Island in the early 60´s. 

Too sad that his wife Bertha who had a long live couldn´t keep Elmo a bit more under control so he would have lived longer.....

28 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

If I remember right there was John Gilmore on ts, and Philly J.J. on drums, and there is a very funny vocal version of Groovin High on it, really cool. 
The sound quality is terrible, but is that stuff really recorded in jail ? I heard that Elmo Hope and Philly J.J. both were incarcerated in Riker´s Island in the early 60´s. 

Too sad that his wife Bertha who had a long live couldn´t keep Elmo a bit more under control so he would have lived longer.....

Bertha Hope still very much with us, glad to say. I was fortunate to see her play on one occasion and she had her late 2nd husband Walter Booker on bass plus Leroy Williams on drums.

The original LP issue, with different cover art, was ‘Sounds From Rikers Island’. I think it was on Audio Fidelty. The CD version I have is the Fresh Sounds issue. The only time I’ve seen and heard the Audio Fidelity LP issue was at a shop in Australia and not cheap. Sonics are so so-so that I’ve never bothered with LPs of it.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Terrible? On the Chiaroscuro LP or just in general? I always thought the stuff I streamed sounded OK but not really terrible. I should pick this up just for this track alone:

16 hours ago, Niko said:

This is a really nice album

"The Panic Is On" triggered my interest in the first place for the zany cover art, of course, but the contents ARE nice. Some 20 years ago I found the three-EP set of this particular album. It lacks one of the tunes of the LP, sadly, but so far I have resisted the urge to shell out for a high-priced LP. If and when I come across the FS vinyl reissue at a really good price that will be fine enough for me.

5 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

"The Panic Is On" triggered my interest in the first place for the zany cover art, of course, but the contents ARE nice. Some 20 years ago I found the three-EP set of this particular album. It lacks one of the tunes of the LP, sadly, but so far I have resisted the urge to shell out for a high-priced LP. If and when I come across the FS vinyl reissue at a really good price that will be fine enough for me.

I actually found a cheap original a few years ago, several generations of tape repair on the cover, but the lp plays nicely... Lined up for playing next after today's lunch break find, bought because it has Lee Collins on trumpet and was still much cheaper than the lunch...

NzUtODI4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Niko said:

Lined up for playing next after today's lunch break find, bought because it has Lee Collins on trumpet and was still much cheaper than the lunch...

NzUtODI4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

A nice find, and I guess you won't take Mezzrow's clarinet efforts all too seriously ... (Too bad it was not Mezzrow but Ted Lewis who claimed that he made his clarinet talk - which made Eddie Condon retort "it must have said 'please put me back in my case'! " 😁 This would have been fitting for Mezzrow most of the time too. ;) )

31 minutes ago, BillF said:

I never owned any Sam Jones albums, but I did see him three times: In 1959 with the Gillespie quintet, in 1965 with the Adderley quintet and in 1969 with the Oscar Peterson trio.

Awesome! That guy swings :)