What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

14 hours ago, Pim said:

C93-CF44-C-FB78-4-CAC-BCCD-A3-D1-C5160-B

A flawless Rainbo pressing that still misses some… I don’t know how you say it but I am pretty sure most know what I mean. Great music nevertheless

60557573-E1-AA-4788-B6-D1-5-D575-EB504-C

Shades of Redd is beautiful. I love those compositions like "The Tespian" , and there is a very catchy latin tune also on it, I think the title is "Olé". 
I love this and the "Connection", but didn´t like the previously rejected session, that came out on Conn I think. While the originally issued albums are top class, the third is quite erratic, a lost chance. 

7 hours ago, optatio said:

Oh I see, that means my old LP is a different session. 
I might seek the "Live at Birdland 1949". 
Tristano had a thin discography. I have another strange album "Descent into the Maelstrom" which is just a mixture. Stuff from the early fifties is forgetable for me since it´s a lot of overdubbing. Two short ballad tracks from Paris are fine. But two trio tracks (I think one is "You Stepped out of a dream" has terrible drumming. 

What I love most from Tristano are his voicings on those standard ballads like "I surrender Dear" and "I can´t get started" which is very very fine on the "Bands for Bonds", also his piano solos on the tracks with Bird and Diz.....

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Over the last few years, I've been hoovering up Ramsey Lewis LPs -- from the beginnings up thru, say, his mid-70s stuff -- as I come across them in record stores.  Over here in the U.S., at least, they're very inexpensive.  

For my money, his most interesting stuff happens from Dancing in the Street (1967) through Upendo Ni Pamoja (1972).  

Interesting, I must admit that during my upbringing as a jazz musician I can´t remember he would have been mentioned by my mentors. On piano there was that line Bud-Horace Silver-Wynton Kelly-McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Cecil Taylor, and at least in the surroundings of the audiences I knew and know now, I can´t remember his name was mentioned.

So I was quite astonished when I saw his name scheduled on a jazz festival here, where other big stars like Diz, Miles, Hancock, Mingus Dynasty and so on played and of course I listened to the Ramsey Lewis set too since I never had heard about him. 
Well it sounded very nice from piano, I think it was a quartet with guitar, drums and a very strange double neck electric bass, something I never had seen in my live. There was a piece with a bit of latin rhythm, but more classical approach and that double-neck-bass player played an endless solo, which for many folks was the highlight. 

That´s all I remember....

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Pim said:

E8-EAA8-F2-BFEA-4-E24-AFB9-6710-D5-DD454

the first time heard this McLean album it blew me away and it still does. The power and energy of the first track and the sincere beauty of the second…. What a great record.

You are right. 

And Jackie McLean was my life long favourite on his instrument. I mean I was born after Bird had died, but had enough decades to admire Jackie McLean when he was alive......