Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Pim said:

62745172-CEAB-45-DF-859-D-4710941825-AA.

14394132-DB3-A-489-B-A60-E-B76-C2-A3-B72

one of Mal Waldron’s best trio efforts, which says a lot. I reviewed it here:

https://snake-out.blogspot.com/2021/01/1970-blood-and-guts-12.html?

Looking forward tot that previously unreleased Sam release which will be of the same period.

Blues and Roots actually was the second Mingus album I owned, after the America label 3 LP set "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus". That was those silver cover Atlantic series, I also had others from them, Ornette Coleman´s "Free Jazz", John Coltrane - Don Cherry "The Avantgarde" and for easy listening "Les McCann-Eddie Harris "Montreux 1969", and "Art Blakey-Thelonious Monk". 

CD94007-F-3-DCF-4-A1-A-8-FC3-8699-CC1552

Trane was my first musical ‘obsession’ and the first artist whose discography as a leader I completed. Unlike others I really like every note he has played. From his soloing with Miles Davis’ Quintet to his sheets of sound at the Vanguard. From his hard bopping on Blue Train to his deeply spiritual music with the classic quartet. And from the slightly commercial Ballads to his heated intense battles on Interstellar Space. 

This record is still able to almost hypnotize me. Ali is really a match made in heaven. Happy to have found this excellent Japanese reissue as there is zero chance of this getting the Acoustic Sounds treatment. Well: their loss!

Diggin’ into a bunch of Tone Poets, starting with this one -

HaroldVick-Steppin_Out7_grande.jpg?v=167

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Blues and Roots actually was the second Mingus album I owned, after the America label 3 LP set "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus". That was those silver cover Atlantic series, I also had others from them, Ornette Coleman´s "Free Jazz", John Coltrane - Don Cherry "The Avantgarde" and for easy listening "Les McCann-Eddie Harris "Montreux 1969", and "Art Blakey-Thelonious Monk". 

First Mingus LPs I ever got were his ‘The Atlantic Years’ twofer, a fantastic compilation, with ‘Blues and Roots’ featuring strongly. I think no. 2 was that America 3LP set, astonishing stuff.

The silver cover German Warner Bros. Series - ‘That’s Jazz’ I think they were called. Have quite a few of them - Giant Steps, MJQ, Fat Albert Rotunda etc.

Followed by -

herbie_a82fdc1b-b0a6-4e8a-b83c-6a1c34966

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

First Mingus LPs I ever got were his ‘The Atlantic Years’ twofer, a fantastic compilation, with ‘Blues and Roots’ featuring strongly. I think no. 2 was that America 3LP set, astonishing stuff.

The silver cover German Warner Bros. Series - ‘That’s Jazz’ I think they were called. Have quite a few of them - Giant Steps, MJQ, Fat Albert Rotunda etc.

Followed by -

I really love Steppin' Out. Great album

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Followed by -

I think I also saw an "Atlantic Years" compilation, but I think it was after Mingus´ death. My next entrance into Mingus-Atlantic was the one with the brown cover and a lot of Mingus Alumnis, I think from Carnegie Hall and then the contemporanious "Changes One/Two". But I didn´t have the chance to hear him with Adams/Pullen, I heard the next band after Adams/Pullen, but they also did "Sue´s Changes" and stuff. 

Yeah, the "That´s Jazz Series". But I must admit I don´t know who is Fat Albert Rotonda ......

The Hancock Album "The Prisoner" was the one that fascinated me most from all BN - Hancock albums. I was a big fan of Joe Henderson and his solos on that album are some of his best. This, and his contributions on "The Real McCoy". 
I had quite advanced musical tastes in my transition from boy to man, so albums like Mingus with Dolphy, Ornette Coleman Double Quartet, Trane with Cherry and the more advanced "Prisoner" in comparation to "Water Melon Man" were my favourites, stuff like "WaterMelon" sounded more boring to me then. But that was the times then......., anyway I head Water Melon first on "Headhunters" which didn´t exite me the same like contemporanous electric Miles from 73-75, but was "ok" for me.......

17 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Charlie Mingus 3 LP set - german edition

45123014ke.jpg

45123015ib.jp45123015ib.jpg

Oh this is the 3 LP set that came out shortly after Mingus had died. A young fan had bought it, but I had most of the material anyway as full albums, at least from 1975 on I bought all the new albums that came out on Atlantic. It was that wonderful feeling that every year there would be a new record of your favourites that you saw live:

Every year a new Mingus album on Atlantic , a new Miles Davis album, a new Dexter Gordon album on CBS, new albums of all them Milestone Artists Rolliins, Tyner, Henderson etc etc......

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Earlier this evening:

MTMtNTYxNS5qcGVn.jpeg

and

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Is this another album than the Montreux 1969 with Eddie Harris ? 

50 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

O

It features Kirk on some tracks

Notes

Recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival,
Montreux, Switzerland in June, 1972

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Notes

Recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival,
Montreux, Switzerland in June, 1972

Yep.

There's also one more -- chronologically, it falls between Swiss Movement (1969) and Les McCann at Montreux (1972):

Second_Movement.jpg

Eddie Harris & Les McCann - Second Movement (1971)

Of the three, I like Second Movement best. :)

Edited by HutchFan

38 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yep.

There's also one more -- chronologically, it falls between Swiss Movement (1969) and Les McCann at Montreux (1972):

Second_Movement.jpg

Eddie Harris & Les McCann - Second Movement (1971)

Of the three, I like Second Movement best. :)

Should get that too - thanks for the Info