Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I remember that one coming out and nearly bought it. In the end, didn’t because of the overlap with the earlier 2LP set.

Is the 2 LP set from Atlantic? I missed it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now playing

East World EWJ-90024 [Japan] - Warne Marsh MeetsGary Foster - rec. 1982 - Engineer: James Mooney

[IMG]

Edited by jazzcorner

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Pat Martino - We'll Be Together Again (Muse, 1976)
duos with Gil Goldstein

Such a shame these days that we will not have the pleasure of tours by Pat with his latter day groups. Great while it lasted though.

I think the last time I caught him was at an in-person film viewing of his documentary put on by the Welcome Foundation. There was a Q&A session covering his medical treatment and recovery. Will have to dig out the DVD of that film.

22 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I was fortunate enough to see him once.  A memorable evening!

He also signed my copy of that LP.  :)

Yeah, his signature was a work of art. He was kind enough to sign a batch of my Prestige vinyl at Ronnie’s. The reaction with his road manager on seeing them - ‘Ah... vinyl !’

a.jpg

King LP - Vol 2 not Vol 1.

Edited by sidewinder

First spin of a new-to-me LP:

MC01MzM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Perry Robinson - The Traveler (Chiaroscuro, 1977)
Not many folks wear a Shriner's fez as a fashion accessory -- but, apparently, Perry Robinson did.  I also like how he has his clarinet slung over his shoulder, like it's a blunderbuss -- or a rocket engine for his jet-pack.

The Tampicos – That Torrid Tampico Sound! (CBS, 1965)

R-3587736-1336408228.jpg.9c440105099a87d72d9727479447dba7.jpg

Found this in the box of my father in law's vinyl. The kids had watched the shootout at the end of The Good The Bad and the Ugly and my four year old was demanding "mexican music" (i.e., Ennio Morricone does Mariachi). I thought this might plausibly have some mariachi (because "Tampico") so I put it on. 

No mariachi, but a surprisingly solid Latin record, midway between mambo and salsa. It kicks off on the third track and then is pretty strong throughout.

The two year old went mad for it and was dancing away, skipping and swinging hips, and shouting "who is this?" every ten seconds.

I have no idea who played on it. Obviously a studio concoction but there must be some quality in the line up, because the rhythms are far better than they have a right to be.