• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Sam-Rivers-Contours-album-cover-web-opti

Another new Tone Poet. It will be interesting to compare with the NY mono but first impressions are good, although I haven’t got to the reported piano warble yet. Probably my favourite of Sam’s Blue Notes and lovely to see with the gatefold photos.

Yeah that’s a great one. Great pressing and even better music. 

17 minutes ago, Pim said:

Yeah that’s a great one. Great pressing and even better music. 

There is a brief piano warble at the start of ‘Euterpe’ on side 2 track 1 but I don’t find it a show stopper. Don’t recall this on the Conn CD, will need to check. Otherwise, this is a very good pressing. Flat and no non-fill etc.

sonny-clark_my-conceptioncover_1920px_lj

Third TP of the day. The music is even better than I remember it and the sonics and pressing quality excellent. This one is a bit of a sleeper !

On 1/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, bresna said:

Terrible? On the Chiaroscuro LP or just in general? I always thought the stuff I streamed sounded OK but not really terrible. I should pick this up just for this track alone:

The version available on streaming services sounds fine. Elmo Hope is fascinating, and we get a long Gilmore solo on Night in Tunisia as an added bonus.

Next up:

OS03NDY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia (MCA UK, 1978)
with Colin Dudman (kybds), Roy Babbington (b), and Harold Fisher (d, perc)

I've only just recently discovered Thompson's music.  I have this LP, the debut of her band Paraphernalia, and Wilde Tales, the second LP from the same group.  I'm enjoying them both very much.  

Any suggestions as to where I might turn next?  I know there's a 14-disc BBC set available, but I'd rather keep exploring individual albums before taking the leap on such a big box. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

OS01ODQ3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Striking album cover design.  :tup 

I bet the music's terrific too.  (But I've never heard it.)

On 2/3/2023 at 3:00 PM, HutchFan said:

First spin of a new-to-me LP:

MC01MzM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Perry Robinson - The Traveler (Chiaroscuro, 1977)
Not many folks wear a Shriner's fez as a fashion accessory -- but, apparently, Perry Robinson did.  I also like how he has his clarinet slung over his shoulder, like it's a blunderbuss -- or a rocket engine for his jet-pack.

Beautiful album. Perry was a sweet and unique soul -- there could be only one Perry Robinson! Glad I got to spend some time with him.

5 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Beautiful album. Perry was a sweet and unique soul -- there could be only one Perry Robinson! Glad I got to spend some time with him.

Yes, it's wonderful.  There's so much personality and vitality and lack of pretension in it.

The title cut "Traveler" in particular knocked me flat.  After hearing it the first time, I ran to my turntable and cued it up again.  I had to hear it again immediately.  :) 

30 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

15 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, it's wonderful.  There's so much personality and vitality and lack of pretension in it.

The title cut "Traveler" in particular knocked me flat.  After hearing it the first time, I ran to my turntable and cued it up again.  I had to hear it again immediately.  :) 

I saw Perry live in New York in 2002. He was playing in trio with Art Baron on trombone and Ed Schullern on bass. This was one of the best concerts that I (together with 10 other people who were in the audience that night) ever attended.