• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Pim said:

B66-A35-C1-B0-AF-4-D03-86-DD-2-C98-B03-A

One of my key inspirations in the early years. 

Actually , once I saw Jackie McLean with 3 quarters of that original quartet. Instead of Walter Davis was no one less than Bobby Hutcherson on vibes, so it was a kind of Blue Note All Stars formation. 

"Freedom" and "One Step Beyond" where some of the most important Jackie McLean albums for me in my youth.

10-E6-ECC8-A86-C-44-E9-90-BE-77-B7-F697-

A951165-C-FBAF-45-AD-B375-F5-EA24686-AF0

so what’s the front and what’s the back cover? All sources have the red as the front but my Japanese reissue has the other one as the front and the red one as the back cover. According to a Discogs user that’s also the case with the OG US release. Stunning music anyway with really of the musicians truly shining. Cowells melodic approach to the piano matches better than expected with Rashied Ali’s drumming. One lovely ESP session.

5 hours ago, Niko said:

Our own brownie should know since it's his photography on the Marion. Brown album...

I don’t have a vinyl copy of the album anymore but I remember that when it came out the blue and red photo was on  front which carried no sign at all. The back cover had the liner notes.

Edited by brownie
Correction

1 hour ago, brownie said:

I don’t have a vinyl copy of the album anymore but I remember that when it came out the blue and red photo was on  front which carried no sign at all. The back cover had the liner notes.

Ah so my Japanese issue is wrongly printed 😰 thanks for the info!

On 2/5/2023 at 2:26 AM, HutchFan said:

Next up:

OS03NDY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia (MCA UK, 1978)
with Colin Dudman (kybds), Roy Babbington (b), and Harold Fisher (d, perc)

I've only just recently discovered Thompson's music.  I have this LP, the debut of her band Paraphernalia, and Wilde Tales, the second LP from the same group.  I'm enjoying them both very much.  

Any suggestions as to where I might turn next?  I know there's a 14-disc BBC set available, but I'd rather keep exploring individual albums before taking the leap on such a big box. 

My favourite is the double album ‘Paraphernalia Live’, recorded at Hornchurch I think. Another one too look out for is the debut LP by her group Jubiaba, a bigger group with more of a Latin feel. To be honest though your best bet is just to go for the BBC box set. There is stuff on there not represented in her LPs and the quality of most of it is first rate. Plus a fantastic Mike Taylor tribute broadcast where they really hit the mark.

Also recommend a read of Barbara’s autobiography, obtainable from the good guys at Jazz In Britain.

14 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

My favourite is the double album ‘Paraphernalia Live’, recorded at Hornchurch I think. Another one too look out for is the debut LP by her group Jubiaba, a bigger group with more of a Latin feel. To be honest though your best bet is just to go for the BBC box set. There is stuff on there not represented in her LPs and the quality of most of it is first rate. Plus a fantastic Mike Taylor tribute broadcast where they really hit the mark.

Also recommend a read of Barbara’s autobiography, obtainable from the good guys at Jazz In Britain.

Many thanks, sidewinder!  :tup

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Sorry if my response works out expensive !

No sweat, sir!  That's "the price one pays" for participating in this terrific forum full of knowledgeable jazz lovers. 🙂

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Forgot to mention the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble releases as well. Barbara is well featured on all of those, along with husband Jon Hiseman.

Oh yeah. That band is definitely on my radar too.

Edited by HutchFan

On 2/6/2023 at 11:29 AM, Pim said:

10-E6-ECC8-A86-C-44-E9-90-BE-77-B7-F697-

A951165-C-FBAF-45-AD-B375-F5-EA24686-AF0

so what’s the front and what’s the back cover? All sources have the red as the front but my Japanese reissue has the other one as the front and the red one as the back cover. According to a Discogs user that’s also the case with the OG US release. Stunning music anyway with really of the musicians truly shining. Cowells melodic approach to the piano matches better than expected with Rashied Ali’s drumming. One lovely ESP session.

👍 - see https://discog.piezoelektric.org/marionbrown/r/whynot.html 

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Another decent find for a couple of quid. Even has Steve  Voce’s Jazz Journal review included as an insert so a promo copy I guess. 

Lots of early 80s hype in the sleeve notes emphasising that this is a ‘Digital’ session. Jeez !

51AmcHPpLNL._AC_.jpg

Seen this Telarc LP millions of times but never had a copy.

Edited by sidewinder