• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

It's a fold down.

They were monitored in mono, with placement and levels set for the mono album.  So really, the stereo recordings were a step in the process to achieve the mono version, which was the priority.  As someone in the biz, you know that when a stereo signal is collapsed to mono, the center information increases in volume by +6db.  So the the stereo levels were set with mono in mind.  Either way, the mono sounds better, just like on most of the Blue Note albums.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

43 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

They were monitored in mono, with placement and levels set for the mono album.  So really, the stereo recordings were a step in the process to achieve the mono version, which was the priority.  As someone in the biz, you know that when a stereo signal is collapsed to mono, the center information increases in volume by +6db.  So the the stereo levels were set with mono in mind.  Either way, the mono sounds better, just like on most of the Blue Note albums.  

That was true for the Hackensack studio, but not for Englewood Cliffs.

23 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

That was true for the Hackensack studio, but not for Englewood Cliffs.

My ears tell me that these sound better in mono, which is why I unloaded the stereo.

Also, the Englewood Cliffs albums generally place the bass and piano/chordal instrument in the center, and they sound better in mono when these elements are increased by 6dB.  This is why RVG narrowed the stereo for the CD releases - to increase the centered bass and piano.

That said, you will always be my mentor when it comes to model railroading.

NP:

A&M/CTI Audio Master Plus Series Samplers, Vols. 1 & 2

Edited by Teasing the Korean

16 hours ago, Pim said:

E48-C2585-F970-4-A56-921-F-6979-AEDFA050

Mulgrew Miller was my favourite pianist in the 80´s. I saw him with Woody Shaw, and later with Blakey. And I think with Benny Golson-Curtis Fuller, when Griffin sat in for "In Walked Bud". 

With whom Mulgrew is  playing here ? 

14 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Aurex Jazz Festival '82, All Star Jam (East Wind)

image.jpeg.293e6ab6aef07c6e97b774b6760bc56c.jpeg

Just 'peanuts' but the label is IMHO "EastWorld" - Have the  vinyl and more of them. Great series not too much known among collectors.

;-]]

Edited by jazzcorner

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Mulgrew Miller was my favourite pianist in the 80´s. I saw him with Woody Shaw, and later with Blakey. And I think with Benny Golson-Curtis Fuller, when Griffin sat in for "In Walked Bud". 

With whom Mulgrew is  playing here ? 

Kenny Garrett, Steve Nelson, Charnett Moffet and Tony Reedus