• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Soundwise, excellent. Audiophiles raved about it back then. A 45 rpm LP, direct-to-disc. Tjader's quintet of the time expanded with horns and extra percussion. Used copies are not that expensive. It was on CD on the Laserligt label with two extra tracks that had only Gary Foster's flute - these are on the new CD reissue due in May, but I have no idea what source material they used.

Edited by mikeweil

On 3/6/2023 at 10:59 AM, Pim said:

Kenny Garrett, Steve Nelson, Charnett Moffet and Tony Reedus

Caught that ‘Wingspan’ group live, not sure if Garrett was in the lineup but Nelson and Wallace Roney definitely were. They were touring Mulgrew’s excellent ‘Hand In Hand’ album.

Fond memories of seeing Mulgrew - with Art Blakey, Tony Williams plus ‘Wingspan’.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Caught that ‘Wingspan’ group live, not sure if Garrett was in the lineup but Nelson and Wallace Roney definitely were. They were touring Mulgrew’s excellent ‘Hand In Hand’ album.

Fond memories of seeing Mulgrew - with Art Blakey, Tony Williams plus ‘Wingspan’.

Yeah, Mulgrew was terrific.  I had the good fortune of seeing him a few times in different settings.  The last time I saw him was a solo performance at Spivey Hall.  Very memorable.  He played "Farewell to Dogma," one of his compositions that's always meant a lot to me.

It still stings that he left us at such a young age.

Mulgrew_Miller_at_Keystone_Korner,_San_F

MM in 1983, backstage at the Keystone Korner

35 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I wondered who would be the first to post this, still not bought it yet as I have the single CD and the Mosaic but...

I have the cd too, which of course sounds great. But this Tone Poet really brings it back to life. Andrew was one hell of a pianist and composer. 

24 minutes ago, BillF said:

👍 I saw Carmell Jones a few years after this album was made at Club 43 in Manchester with a local rhythm section.

You make me jealous Bill ;)

[IMG]
The Max Roach Quartet Live in Amsterdam. With Billy Harper, Cecil Bridgewater and Reggie Workman. I’m pretty sure they have damaged some ears at this gig. This is some intense stuff.