Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Pim said:

I have the cd too, which of course sounds great. But this Tone Poet really brings it back to life. Andrew was one hell of a pianist and composer. 

You make me jealous Bill ;)

[IMG]
The Max Roach Quartet Live in Amsterdam. With Billy Harper, Cecil Bridgewater and Reggie Workman. I’m pretty sure they have damaged some ears at this gig. This is some intense stuff.

I apologize for any jealousy I may cause, but the Roach quintet I saw (again at Manchester's Club 43) featured Charles Tolliver, Odean Pope, Stanley Cowell and Jymie Merritt. A bit of research tells me this was probably in 1967:

https://www.wolfgangs.com/music/max-roach-quintet/audio/20020013-50737.html?tid=4850233

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I don't have either, only 'Nommo'. Guess I should rectify that?

Oh yes you should! These are at least as good as that fantastic record. And they aren't very rare or expensive. Vol.1 has 44 copies in the Discogs marketplace at this moment....

On 3/13/2023 at 8:22 PM, jazzcorner said:

45330583ek.jpg

The strange thing is I discovered Ellington (or his compositions) thru this LP, and thru Mingus (his Ellington Medley on "Mingus at Monterey"). 
In my case it was just that generation, those late 60´s early 70´s hipsters who were something like older brothers and sisters to me. Mingus and Monk were considered "cool" so that´s were I started to pick up the stuff.

But I admit it´s the wrong way chronologically. 
I remember a name musician told me he had got into jazz thru his parents who heard some Ellington on radio and thats how it started, and when I confessed that I had "discovered" Ellington´s music thru listening to Mingus, he said "that´s also a good start". Well I didn´t have parents who would have listened to jazz on radio or so. I started from zero knowledge.