• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, ‘Hot House’ was put out I think by the people who ran Mole Jazz at the time. They also did a recording of Nathan Davis ‘London By Night’ so I guess this reissue was set up as a consequence.

I find that the Mole pressings tend to be rolled off quite a bit at the top end. The Tubbys are flawed in that respect - albeit very welcome when they came out.

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

A  big band compilation from Canada

Quality Records  SV 2119 - CJAZ 96.9FM presents " Various - Jazz Discovery - rec. 1982 (?) - Engineer:  Rick Knight

45343023vi.jpg

45343025rj.jpg

45343024lw.jpg

I am kind of embarrassed that as a Canadian big band jazz buff, I knew nothing of this record until I saw it posted here. I know many of the musicians, of course, but I've never heard this recording. It completely escaped my attention.  

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Who is he? I always wondered why there were so few jazz / improv albums from the ICA.

A very good and probably important guitarist. His later stuff gets a bit too shreddy for me but anything up to 1972 works fine. Also, often features Harry Beckett which means you can't go wrong.  He also plays in Beckett's Joy Unlimited band.

Try 'Dragon Hill' for a good starter.  There's a couple of recent very good releases on Jazz In Britain which should be streamable.

As to why so few recordings form the ICA? I have no idea, too many Happenings instead