What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 5/14/2023 at 9:26 AM, Pim said:

IMG-3902.jpg

This one of the jazz records I grew up with.

Those four Davis records with the first quintet: 

I also grew up with this, but the only available record here in the ear

On 5/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, Pim said:

IMG-3908.jpg

Japanese pressing. They never disappoint. I’ve got a lot of them and they all sound gorgeous.

ly 70´s was "Steaming" (with another cover photo than the original). I think I spinned "Steaming" almost every day until I got "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus", which let me listen less to "Steaming". But that Quintet Style on Steaming was my very very basic of "jazz". I would have liked the other three , like "Workin´" as much as STeaming but didn´t know about there existence. 

Working has "Woody´n You" on it, right ? I dig the shout chorus at the end, it was inspired from Dizzy´s big band arrangement and sounds astonishing fine on that small group setting. 
I always close "Woody´n You" with that line.

Wes Montgomery. I think I have two of them "Incredible " and "So Much Guitar", but as usual I don´t know from what country a pressing is. It´s Wes at it´s best and he was the first jazz guitarist I loved. 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-3916.jpg

Great live recording from the German jazz scene including Mal Waldron on piano. But have to say that both Roman Schwaller and Rocky Knauer also stand out. 

For those interested, I reviewed it on my Mal blog:

https://snake-out.blogspot.com/2021/05/1979-klaus-weiss-quintet-on-tour.html?

Good one indeed ....

42718877yk.jpg

On 5/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, Pim said:

IMG-3908.jpg

Japanese pressing. They never disappoint. I’ve got a lot of them and they all sound gorgeous.

Agreed. 😁👍

Got my japan copies  mostly from Mr. Hiroshi Tanno - the best source for japanese vinyl reissues you could ever have. Long gone and a great loss for all collectors. Where did his superbe stock go? Never found a source again like his .

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

42718877yk.jpg

Agreed. 😁👍

Got my japan copies  mostly from Mr. Hiroshi Tanno - the best source for japanese vinyl reissues you could ever have. Long gone and a great loss for all collectors. Where did his superbe stock go? Never found a source again like his .

Everybody is on discogs nowadays. There are several good sellers from Japan over there, but the good old days when one deals personally with seller has gone. Discogs has its merits and I meet some nice guys but Tanno San was the last real gentleman in a market made of “seller”. Deal with him was a pleasure.

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Everybody is on discogs nowadays. There are several good sellers from Japan over there, but the good old days when one deals personally with seller has gone. Discogs has its merits and I meet some nice guys but Tanno San was the last real gentleman in a market made of “seller”. Deal with him was a pleasure.

💗👍

35 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Hmm, that is one I don't have. Thanks for the tip.

Just checked this box -- need it.

I'm four discs into the box and it's well programmed. Only one dud track so far.

The Morning Rise album is excellent, a good discovery

9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

42718877yk.jpg

Agreed. 😁👍

Mr Tanno’s store and Mr Tanno’s personal service was phenomenal !

I don’t think I ever got an LP from him which was less than near-flawless. Even his ‘- -‘ grades were pretty immaculate. Maybe a couple of minor marks on the sleeve at most.

10 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I love Skidmore -- have a number of his LPs, and it looks like this set covers primarily or completely unissued music, yes?

Yes. Only seven tracks across the whole box previously released. I don't know but suspect a lot of it must be from Skidmore's own archive. Sound quality in first four discs very good except one track which is a bit bootleggy.

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

MC02NTE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

"Speak, brother, SPEAK!" - Max Roach Quartet at the Jazz Workshop (Fantasy, rec. 1962)
OJC reissue

I love it so much and it was a key record for me. Max Roach, together with Philly J.J. and Danny Richmond were my drum heroes when I was a young boy. 

I was so exited when I finally saw Roach live, an event I´ll never forget. It was shortly after I had seen Mingus, had seen Dizzy so I could say then that I had seen at least 3 members of the "Massey Hall Concert" in my early years. 

Roach did a 3/4 version of "Round Midnite", he did "It´s Time" and "Peaceful Heart" and solo "The Drum Waltzes" and "Mr. Hi Hat". 

The next day I bought the record. Mine has another cover than yours. Most stuff sold here in Europe was on that French Label "America"....most of the Mingus albums for example....

For me it was like "Mingus Family" since this Roach album has Cliff Jordan AND Mal Waldron, two musicians I had associated with Mingus since I had them on record with Mingus.

Download.jpg

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

That's a GREAT record. Damn great. 

Yep. :tup  

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I love it so much and it was a key record for me. Max Roach, together with Philly J.J. and Danny Richmond were my drum heroes when I was a young boy. 

I was so exited when I finally saw Roach live, an event I´ll never forget. It was shortly after I had seen Mingus, had seen Dizzy so I could say then that I had seen at least 3 members of the "Massey Hall Concert" in my early years. 

Roach did a 3/4 version of "Round Midnite", he did "It´s Time" and "Peaceful Heart" and solo "The Drum Waltzes" and "Mr. Hi Hat". 

The next day I bought the record. Mine has another cover than yours. Most stuff sold here in Europe was on that French Label "America"....most of the Mingus albums for example....

For me it was like "Mingus Family" since this Roach album has Cliff Jordan AND Mal Waldron, two musicians I had associated with Mingus since I had them on record with Mingus.

I'm jealous, Gheorghe.  I never got to see Max.  

31 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-3941.jpg

Hutcherson's two quartet records with Herbie -- this one and Happenings -- are soooooooo good.  :) 

On 7/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, bresna said:

Next up - Frank Kimbrough... damn... the late Frank Kimbrough - Meantime (Newvelle).

Frank Kimbrough on piano, Andrew Zimmerman on tenor saxophone, Riley Mulherkar on trumpet, Chris Van Voorst Van Beest on bass, and R.J. Miller on drums. I am liking this one a lot. The tenor player, Andy Zimmerman, is a new name for me. I've actually ordered Zimmerman's Newvelle LP as well, "Half Light", which has the stellar band of Zimmerman, Dave Douglas, Kevin Hays and Matt Penman on bass.

Frank Kimbrough - Meantime – Newvelle Records

I'm feeling rather low as I prepare to head back to my hometown out in Western Massachusetts for my mom's funeral so I decided to put some Jazz on the turntable. As I looked at the racks, Frank Kimbrough's "Meantime" jumped out at me. These Newvelle LPs are oversized and the spines really stand out in the LP rack so they're tough to miss. But just like I miss Frank, I'm really going to miss my mom. Appropriate selection.

3 hours ago, bresna said:

The Cars - Greatest Hits (Elektra). I need some workout music. 😀

That is a freaking delight!!

On 5/16/2023 at 1:53 AM, Gheorghe said:Wes Montgomery. I think I have two of them "Incredible " and "So Much Guitar", but as usual I don´t know from what country a pressing is. It´s Wes at it´s best and he was the first jazz guitarist I loved. 

So Much Guitar was one of my first jazz albums, 40+ years ago.  Still love it and if I had to only pick one Wes … we’ll thankfully I don’t!

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Yep. :tup  

I'm jealous, Gheorghe.  I never got to see Max.  

Hutcherson's two quartet records with Herbie -- this one and Happenings -- are soooooooo good.  :) 

Yeah love them both!