Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my favourite Don Byas album. 
It´s a fantastic experience to hear this vintage bebop set with the sound of Don Byas. And he doesn´t just play the bop themes, he creates his own brand of bop solos with his very individual sound and phrasings. On "Antrophology" he even quotes Bud´s "Wail". The rhythm section is also very fine. 

Herunterladen (5).jpg

54 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

This is my favourite Don Byas album. 
It´s a fantastic experience to hear this vintage bebop set with the sound of Don Byas. And he doesn´t just play the bop themes, he creates his own brand of bop solos with his very individual sound and phrasings. On "Antrophology" he even quotes Bud´s "Wail". The rhythm section is also very fine. 

Herunterladen (5).jpg

👍

45 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Malombo Jazz Makers - Down Lucky's Way [Tapestry Works 2023 RE]

Fabulous SA jazz from 1969. Two more soon to come from Strut.

I remember Julian Bahula playing around when I first came to London.

people with memory's like that... around the birth of our daughter, when the midwife came to our apartment, she looked around, identified some jazz related items and said something like "it's a pity you didn't live here in 1980s, I saw Chet Baker every few months back then..." 

My00Njc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

George Bohanon Quartet – Boss:Bossa Nova

it's a quintet actually, Joe Messina (g), Kirk Lightsey (p), Cecil McBee (b) and George Goldsmith (dr), maybe some additional percussion on some tracks... 

4 minutes ago, Niko said:

people with memory's like that... around the birth of our daughter, when the midwife came to our apartment, she looked around, identified some jazz related items and said something like "it's a pity you didn't live here in 1980s, I saw Chet Baker every few months back then..." 

Nice story Niko

Now on this, contemporary SA

Primary

Duduzo Makhathini - In The Spirit Of Ntu [Blue Note, SA 2022]

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Malombo Jazz Makers - Down Lucky's Way [Tapestry Works 2023 RE]

Fabulous SA jazz from 1969. Two more soon to come from Strut.

I remember Julian Bahula playing around when I first came to London.

ordered that from DG -- looking forward to hearing it.

agree about the Graves, too -- side B is bonkers!

16 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Gorgeous.  One of Garrick's finest hours.  And Winstone's voice!!!

Timeless classic.  :tup

Agreed, it took me too many years to fully appreciate it for the masterpiece that it is. Quintessentially English, is how I hear ot now, steeped in a tradition of English romanticism (although I may be guilty of overthinking it 😀).

And yes, Norma's voice is very special. I remember hearing her live for the first time at one of Kenny Wheeler's birthday concerts (the one released by ECM) and being completely knocked out.

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Agreed, it took me too many years to fully appreciate it for the masterpiece that it is. Quintessentially English, is how I hear ot now, steeped in a tradition of English romanticism (although I may be guilty of overthinking it 😀).

I totally agree, and -- from my point of view -- you're not overthinking it at all. 

I think it's an important record -- a prime, early example of jazz that doesn't try to sound American/African-American.  As you say, Garrick completely embraces his English-ness.  As such, I consider The Heart is a Lotus -- and similar albums like it from around the same time -- to be a BIG DEAL, an evolutionary step in the history of the music.

Winstone has talked about this quite a bit.  She said that Garrick gave her "permission" to sing without an American accent, using her natural voice.

Of course, this step wasn't just one artist or one album.  But I think Garrick's music is probably a perfect example of a larger trend.

Edited by HutchFan

22 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I totally agree, and -- from my point of view -- you're overthinking it at all. 

I think it's an important record -- a prime, early example of jazz that doesn't try to sound American/African-American.  As you say, Garrick completely embraces his English-ness.  As such, I consider The Heart is a Lotus -- and similar albums like it from around the same time -- to be a BIG DEAL, an evolutionary step in the history of the music.

Winstone has talked about this quite a bit.  She said that Garrick gave her "permission" to sing without an American accent, using her natural voice.

Of course, this step wasn't just one artist or one album.  But I think Garrick's music is probably a perfect example of a larger trend.

Yes, absolutely. Definitely not alone but a signature album in a trend

ODctNzEyNy5qcGVn.jpeg

2LPs - This one grooves along very nicely, live atmosphere well captured and a very compatible group.

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I totally agree, and -- from my point of view -- you're not overthinking it at all. 

I hope to be seeing Norma ‘live’ In about a month’s time, with her group.

a0524190637_10.jpg

Strut reissue. There have been quite a few bootlegs of this one out there but this Strut issue is apparently authorised. Sounds as good as can be expected too,  no doubt better than what was originally put out on Saturn.

The Saturn original was apparently in quadraphonic !

Another fine issue by Strut.

Edited by sidewinder